gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Unfashionable Hutch's From 1987 (One Down One to go) PICS ON PAGE 2
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Unfashionable Hutch's From 1987 (One Down One to go) PICS ON PAGE 2  (Read 10959 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Since getting in to the scene it's become apparent to me that with some people there seems to be quite lot of well er (snobbery) when it comes to budget end bikes which is a shame as for me I'm just liking bringing bikes that interest me back to something like their former glory & adding a little point of difference to their original spec here & there.

Two of the bikes that seem to be shunned by so many surprisingly come from Hutch  (The Windstyler & Exel) . Im assuming that it's because two of the models in question were produced at the end of the 80's when Hutch was in financial trouble & had these bikes produced in Taiwan & we all know the only decent bike has to be welded in the USA right ??????? :idiot2: So i'm guessing the American public possibly started this bad publicity !

The magazine write ups at the release of these models were really surprisingly excellent,  handling build quality geometry & overall performance were all praised & at an entry level price point too! Clearly they are not (PRO Quality BIKES) but they were never meant to be, so to have them compared & dismissed in favour of bikess 2,3 or 4 times the price just doesn't really make sense to me. After all you wouldn't compare a Fiat 500 with a the top of the line Ferrari even though they are both made by Fiat !

I've always liked the look of both the Windstyler & Exel as I love freestyle inspired frame sets & these two models both came gushing with 80's neon Colourways & Popped Decal sets so I decided to purchase this blue Windstyler from the USA when i spotted it on Ebay & had it shipped over from the States just to see for myself what the frame set was actually like & to be fair overall the bike look's well for it's years, the welds are good & it will make a great base for my build.

The Windstyler as you can see was (originally blue) It will be Hot Pink when finished & should come out like the one below with 1988 decals, I saw this combination on ebay.com this particular bike is still actually for sale on there as it's waaaaaay Waaaaaay Waaaaaay over priced but i think it looks Properly RAD & cant wait for to get my build on the way done !!!!

I then tripped over an Exel in the museum whilst looking for ladder bars for the Windstyler . I bought the bars & then ended up buying  the F&F set followed by the seat post the lee chi's donut & Pegs which all arrived today (after sitting for 6 days in UK customs) , it's in Survivor neon pink  but i think I'll keep this as is, as I love the faded paint & the (Bob's Bicycle Centre Decals) on the rear are just class (not to mention the Vans Brake Blocks).  Anyway thought i'd share these two (Fiat 500's) with you as theres not many of these around in the UK as people seem to only want to bring back the Ferrari's & It's nice to see something a little different from the usual models.

Hope you like  :daumenhoch:

Windstyler partially Stripped & ready for Hot Pink Powder, Decals sorted !!!!! Will be finished & on it's way to Dan's this week!!!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:32 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Unfashionable Hutch's From 1987
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 06:02 PM »
nowt wrong with a windstyler, give a fook what anyone thinks its still a hutch

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:18 AM by GTNUMBER1 »

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:12 PM »
They look like a great couple of projects.
I do agree there seems to be a lot of snobbery surrounding hutch and the us made frame sets.
I have seen many threads on the museum with them banging on about their us made trickstars as though they have been welded by god like welders.

The truth is a lot of the us frames were shocking. With platforms on the pi55, or longer one side than the other, or the common one was the hutch engraved brake bridge welded in the wrong place so the rear caliper wouldn't touch the rim.

I'm lucky to have a rare tai made one. Which has perfect welds so I'm happy.
Anyway I will follow the build threads as they continue.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:13 PM »
nowt wrong with a windstyler, give a fook what anyone thinks its still a hutch

heres my old one

I saw yours in an old thread mate, it's lovely looking & off the back of your build I've been very tempted to do one of them in the (Old School Hutch) decal style !!!!   if i strip the Exel I might go for candy Blue & Chrome as i think it will look pretty cool but i'm liking its original state right now which is weird for me as I like things to look spanking new.

I don't subscribe to the argument that if you strip a bike your'e stripping it of it's history ????? If a BMX could talk all it would tell you about it's history is that it's most likely been sat in a shed forgotten about at the bottom of someones garden  :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 06:14 PM »
both those frames are better looking than the trickstar II by miles. looking forward to seeing them finished.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Nowt wrong with so called budget stuff, in fact i find myself drawn to it alot more than the fancy gear. Get a little bored seeing masters, GT performers etc  :-X and alot of us couldn't afford that stuff bitd and dont have the same memories of ownership.

The pink on that Exel is sweet  :4_17_5:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

deeman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Nice will be interesting to see these.I think the wind stylers look nice,alot better than TS II's.I like the sound of candy blue and chrome decals for the Excel :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:02 AM »
Nowt wrong with them mate. If you like em' build em'.  :daumenhoch:
Unfashionable or not it's whatever does it for you that matters.
I don't feel obliged to follow any unwritten rules on what you should/shouldn't be building.Or what is/isn't seen as cool
Gt Interceptor full bike - £100 ebay
Redline 600a frame - £23 ebay.com
Powerlite p17 full bike - £36 ebay
Elswick Superstar - £20 car boot
These are what i've picked up since getting back into bmx, all cheap and cheerful but all been built/resto'd with bmx love.  :smitten:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Nowt wrong with them mate. If you like em' build em'.  :daumenhoch:
Unfashionable or not it's whatever does it for you that matters.
I don't feel obliged to follow any unwritten rules on what you should/shouldn't be building.Or what is/isn't seen as cool
Gt Interceptor full bike - £100 ebay
Redline 600a frame - £23 ebay.com
Powerlite p17 full bike - £36 ebay
Elswick Superstar - £20 car boot
These are what i've picked up since getting back into bmx, all cheap and cheerful but all been built/resto'd with bmx love.  :smitten:

Completely agree mate, Although i've never found bargains like that before !!!! Guess i need to be up earlier on a sunday morning  :daumenhoch:

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:57 AM »
both those frames are better looking than the trickstar II by miles. looking forward to seeing them finished.
:daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13 AM »
I think theyre both great!  And rightly said....they are still Hutch at the end of the day.  Why should it really matter if it was made in Taiwan?  It is what it is  :daumenhoch:

And I really dont see all the fuss over the whole dated cable mallarky either on builds?  Its a brake cable  ;D

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00 PM »
And I really dont see all the fuss over the whole dated cable mallarky either on builds?  Its a brake cable  ;D

Blasphemer!

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Trickstar II are like marmite bud, but I love them - heres mine  :smitten:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Don't like marmite but I like that.Very nice Chris.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30 PM »

that does look nice, but the rear triangle and dropouts are fugly.

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Blasphemer!

:LolLolLolLol:

That Trickstar 2 is awesome Chris.....Id love one of those!

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:48 PM »

that does look nice, but the rear triangle and dropouts are fugly.

You don't get it - if you have a rear flat its very easy to wheel the bike home like a wheelbarrow, conversely the front pegs are for front flats - when you really think about it, its sheer genius.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:52 PM »

Blasphemer!

:LolLolLolLol:

That Trickstar 2 is awesome Chris.....Id love one of those!

Its a bit closer to your timeline/taste Gav - i'm also building a 86 CW California Freestyle which you might like - but my real passion is 5+ years earlier...

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 04:53 PM »

Like that one Chap  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

deeman

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: 6 months from now you find yourself replacing all your cables for dated ones Gav!It's a bit like saying a seatpost is a seatpost(of which i am a believer!)or a headset is a headset...it is...but is it really!!depends on your levels of anality!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 07:17 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: 6 months from now you find yourself replacing all your cables for dated ones Gav!It's a bit like saying a seatpost is a seatpost(of which i am a believer!)or a headset is a headset...it is...but is it really!!depends on your levels of anality!! :daumenhoch:

Brilliant !
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58 PM »
That trickstar 2 is a stunner.  :smitten:  :smitten:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44 PM »

Can you spot whats in the background Stu?  Its almost finished  ;D

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 09:48 PM »

Yes I spotted the 85. It is looking good mate. :)

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12 PM »

Yes I spotted the 85. It is looking good mate. :)

Is this your old 85 Stu?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Unfashionable Hutch's From 1987 (One Down One to go) PICS ON PAGE 2

gfxgfx
gfx gfx