gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 12:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Raw lacquered finish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Raw lacquered finish  (Read 955 times)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Raw lacquered finish
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Can this be done to an already painted frame?

Obviously thenframe would need to be dipped amd stripped as opposed to Media blasted, but does it then need to be polished or is it just applied by the painters?
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Raw lacquered finish
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53 AM »
the raw metal finish does need to be of good quality spen.  i was going to get the goose done in clear coat but it would've needed polishing up as Dan said the finish on the metal wasn't good enough

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Spen,

I think Dordy did a frame raw, may have been his Mirraco  :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:38 AM »
the raw metal finish does need to be of good quality spen.  i was going to get the goose done in clear coat but it would've needed polishing up as Dan said the finish on the metal wasn't good enough

:'(

Still looks like nickel plate is the way forward then, but it's mental money on top of a stupidly expensive frame and forks in the first place...... Doh!
Still limping......

Clean

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Still looks like nickel plate is the way forward then, but it's mental money on top of a stupidly expensive frame and forks in the first place...... Doh!

Nickel plate is the way forward for a Knight Goose! ;)

Sid1972

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29 AM »
what frame Spen, and do you want it dull or shiny?  ;)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32 AM »
get it sandblasted.. take it to a local body shop for a coat of clear !! will look mental

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Rich, the best quote i've had so far for nickel plate is £180 to £220 depending on the amount of polishing required.....

Bobby, having it blasted just puts it back to a dull peppered silver finish and looses the heat affcted zone detail behind the welds which is what I want to keep......

Sid, I want to do my park RetroGoose bud. I hate it in black and now i've got it fully sorted the last job is the frame finish. Plenty of choices but the f&f already owes me an eye-watering £500.....
Still limping......

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15 AM »
If you polish it too much, you'll lose the blueing anyway, My Cromo pork was clear over raw, and it didn't look overly prepped, there was still a bit of weld spatter in places.

I'd strip it yourself and see how clean you can get it, obviously, you are gonna have to get it entirely streak free, but I reckon you need to be the judge of the prep prior to clear coat.

I've had an old mongoose blasted and cleared, it looked pretty cool with the peppered look, but the blueing was lost. could be re blued with the artistic use of a torch though.

Aqua blast then blow lamp..... worth a thought.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Sid1972

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Spen there is company in Rotherham called Kustom chrome, now they have a great reputation for motor bikes etc. Your bike is worth doing right anything less then is a feck up..... :coolsmiley:

I was going to check them out but not got round to it, hope the link works I am on my mac.

http://kustom-chrome.co.uk/#

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:46 PM »
Rich, the best quote i've had so far for nickel plate is £180 to £220 depending on the amount of polishing required.....

Bobby, having it blasted just puts it back to a dull peppered silver finish and looses the heat affcted zone detail behind the welds which is what I want to keep......

Sid, I want to do my park RetroGoose bud. I hate it in black and now i've got it fully sorted the last job is the frame finish. Plenty of choices but the f&f already owes me an eye-watering £500.....

i realised this but all the raw stuff looks like that . its tired now . need something different !

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 01:19 PM »
If you intend to ride the bike once it's had the clear coat applied. Be aware that it will still rust under the new coating.
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 03:01 PM »
If you intend to ride the bike once it's had the clear coat applied. Be aware that it will still rust under the new coating.

The cheapy Haro I did for my daughter did, but the Mongoose I had done and the 2Hip didn't, so may not always be the case.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29 PM »
stress fractures in the lacquer can cause some pretty cool effects  :coolsmiley:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Stripped, lightly polished with autosol and then oven burned prior to clear powder

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Whenever I've wanted a raw frame I just stripped the paint & got it clearcoated or powdered, isn't that how it's done if You buy One like it?
This Condor was stripped, gun blued, wire wooled in places & then clear coated.

Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Raw lacquered finish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx