gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 07:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  whitehawk no 10 done and seen by creator
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: whitehawk no 10 done and seen by creator  (Read 6558 times)

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
Re: whitehawk no w10
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 06:46 AM »
This is great, steve will love restoring his bike I bet  8)

Whats the storey with these bikes guys, I have not come across these before albeit gotta say they do look awesome  :daumenhoch:

Ps Janspeed exhaust stickers take me back, zender too  :LolLolLolLol:
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25 AM »
hi mate these bikes were built in the early 80s by a guy called mick witlock  in horndean  hampshire  . mick used to make trails bike frames and bit then went on to start building bmxs,i think he built 14 in total and i know we have one phil has two i know of another 2 at least and phil say he knows of two or three . As a boy  me and my mates would ride to whitehawks shop from all around to see what amazing things mick had got that week it was a meeting place and i used to love the place   , which is why i feel this bike should live again  watch this space  we can rebuild her we have the technolgy  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 07:07 PM by nitrohopper »
build what u want if u like it then thats all that matters

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 06:34 AM »
hi mate these bikes were built in the early 80s by a guy called mick witlock  in horndean  hampshire  . mick used to make trails bike frames and bit then went on to start building bmxs,i think he built 14 in total and i know we have one phil has two i know of another 2 at least and phil say he knows of two or three . As a boy  me and my mates would ride to whitehawks shop from all around to see what amazing things mick had got that week it was a meeting place and i used to love the place   , which is why i feel this bike should live again  watch this space  we can rebuild her we have the technolgy  

Bloody brilliant, love it ....

Is Mick still around ?  this storey sum's up why We all have got hooked on these bikes there so much more to this than a bike    :daumenhoch:

Cracking thread this ---"I will be right here"

Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 02:03 PM »
yes mick is still is around and living in the aera i sold him a starter motor for his car the other week didnt recognise me though but then it has been  30 years it was just nice to see a legend alive and kicking ,if i can get a few of his bikes togeather  i will take a picture and drop it into  his home just to show that he hasnt been forgoten 

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 11:10 PM »
hey guys just a quick update on  the whitehawk build  . the frame forks bars and seat post we are trying to save with a trustie wire brush and a large trough full of water mixed with a rust eatin chemical then its of to find a caring chromer as we are going to try and have it rechromed and get it back to its former glory . I have been buying a few bits here and there to bring the build along nice sugino gt 3piece  blue44 sugino chainring and matching bolts  tuff neck stem which we hope to polish the muvers out of ,aero style blue seat a nos sx lever in blue and a tech2 in blue not sure which way we are going yet cables i have my eye on a 1020 but i we can i would like to save the original mx1000 82 that i have i have a set of blue survivor 7x in blue with nice blue hubs but i also have a set of ukai in silver coming with blue hubs and nips so i will wait for them to get here before i make any rash choices

depending on how this w/e pans out we may have some frame news next week

Offline Diesel1

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the rechromed frame and forks nitro!

Please let me know what the total cost of the rechrome is.

Simon.
Live by the Burner.  Die by the Burner.

RetroRich78... "No probs buddy I was coming if it was only you and I. Well done mate great day"
That is the best compliment I could wish to receive.

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 05:41 PM »
This afternoon my wife took my daughter round to her friends for a playdate so i kinda left me with nothing to do , when i remembered that when tidying up the shed the other week  i came across a tube of autosol hardly touched ,also this week i had purchased a drill mounted polishing wheel so i went to the loft and got down the mx1000 from the whitehawk  i also grabbed the tuff neck stem that i had bought of the captain so began an afternoon of polishing
from this to

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38 PM »
today i took a trip to the chromers to see how they were getting on he said he was struggling a little but he would get there in the end and i would have it back in time for mk   

all being well and good we should be up and in the running for mk   
cheers to roy at kacimac ltd in fareham for his hard work and persistance (roy 07503752062)

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Looks nice in its raw state look at that lovely British brazing :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain:

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 08:33 PM »
been to the chromers today and i now have all the peices of the whitehawk together at last  ,
this w/e will be filled with a build that ive been looking forward to a while now

the powerlites came up loads better than we expected

the forks are stunning  the have a couple of marks but considering how they were when we started i think they are great

the frame also has a few marks on it but then i had been left in a shed for 30 years and if we had pushed anymore we could have ruined the metal
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:34 PM by nitrohopper »

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 08:57 PM »
that's looking sweet lee,but im sure it would look better in my collection :LolLolLolLol:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 09:14 PM »
now now phill  , i spoke to micks brother during the week so what i am going to try and do is arrange to go and show mick one afternoon when its finished perhaps u could join me

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 09:19 PM »
that sounds like a plan lee :daumenhoch:

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: whitehawk no w10 nearly finished pic heavy
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 11:44 AM »
here it is guys 1982 whitehawk expert 
frame no w10   
its been a long road and i have really enjoined doning this one for my good mate steve   
i am meeting up with the bike builder mick witlock on thursday of next week  so i get some photos and as much info as i can for u all reference this small bike company in horndean

Offline Diesel1

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: whitehawk no w10 just the grips to go then shes done
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 02:15 PM »
That is stunning.  The fella Mick will be amazed I reckon!

Simon.
Live by the Burner.  Die by the Burner.

RetroRich78... "No probs buddy I was coming if it was only you and I. Well done mate great day"
That is the best compliment I could wish to receive.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 04:55 PM »
lovely bike & great restoration altogether :daumenhoch: - just hope the seat post won't bend  :-[
Would be great to get a straight shot right from the side  8)

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49 PM »
sideways on

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2013, 06:22 PM »
you have done it proud lee :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

Offline scoff

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Now that's a nice piece of history there, excellent work..!

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 09:16 PM »
Fair play with that, it looks great!  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Fricko great resto  :shocked: top job and looks lush  :smitten:

what grips are you trying to find ?
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I ORDERED  some cams from  from alans in blue today they arrived and they are tris not happy but no time to change  so I will have to go with those 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:40 PM by nitrohopper »

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: WHITEHAWK W10 FINISHED AND SEEN BY MR WHITLOCK
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36 PM »
HEY GUYS , its been a long road but the whitehawk is finally finished it was at mk in the british race tent amongst some amazing builds from sawzall and animal i have loved every minute of this build and today the journey was finished with it being seen in the flesh by the man who built it in 1982 the legend that is mick whitlock he was over the moon to see what i had done with the ole girl 

we had a good chat about the time he had spent in the bmx world and how he had loved every minute of it saying what a wonderful and happy time it was in this life , he explained how mine had been an early model and then went on to tell me how he had made the differnt models  and how impressed he was with phils sawzalls two and how rare that phils cruiser must be being he only ever made 6 of them , he then went on to show me pics of the team as was back in the day i will upload more pics when i have them it was real nice to see this man being reunited with somthing he had built all those years ago .

he also brought me a copy of the wally whitehawk sticker which as a boy i had even seen on a french kids gt  when on an exchange trip to le harve   he had appaenrtly heard of this wonderful shop in le harve and hopped on ferry ridden to horndean and bought some bits including the wally whaitehawk stickers

i would also like to take this chance to thank phil for my trophey from mk  as "sawzalls pick british race bike "of mk13 which means that we had 2 mk official winners best old school cruiser  and bike of show tiim march rep  and one phil winner so i am one happy bunny   thanks guys   

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: whitehawk no 10 done and seen by creator
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 09:28 AM »
great pics lee :daumenhoch:

Offline willo73

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: whitehawk no 10 done and seen by creator
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 09:58 AM »
This is a great thread and story with a happy ending  :daumenhoch: Also testament to how well these 80s bikes were made - tough as old boots  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  whitehawk no 10 done and seen by creator

gfxgfx
gfx gfx