gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 01, 2024, 06:15 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour coaster onto skyway graphite ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Suntour coaster onto skyway graphite ?  (Read 15632 times)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Suntour coaster onto skyway graphite ?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Was chatting to Steve this morning we recon your looking at £1500 for the wheels then there's the bars, the riveted shotgun seat f&f
Gonna be a 4-5k build :daumenhoch:

plus a load of luck on finding the bits
they are out there
just people dont want to sell

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Just reading through this thread quickly, regardless of what you think of Lee, shouldn't you be guiding him to his end goal, helping him find the parts or giving him ideas of where he may be able to get them from  ???

Instead, you are all just mocking him or throwing obstacles in his way  :yahoo_silent:

I thought Rad was about community and help from others in the same hobby  ???  

Who gives a shIt Neil what it costs, if he builds it slowly over time, the cost will not be felt as hard.

Try helping instead of mocking, thats all this site seems to do at the moment  ::)

Rant over  :yahoo_silent:
BANNED

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 01:23 PM »
16''  :LolLolLolLol: ... is cheaper

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Terry I wasn't having ago just giving him an idea on costs very expensive bike to build properly

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Lee,

You will need a coaster specific rear Graphite, one that came with a coaster or you will drilling out the hub and replacing it. You cannot get hold of replacement campy hubbed coasters so you will be off the mark if you went that way and not a true replica.

Shop on the Museum too. The dollar is low meaning you get one and half pounds to the dollar at the moment. Even with shipping, it's far cheaper than buying in the UK.

Start PM'ing some of the regular members on there and they will put in the right direction for a lot of stuff. Beware though, as some think the UK is loaded with money and you will pay over the odds for stuff as some have already paved that path.

PM me your email address and I will give you some members usernames to get started okay   :daumenhoch:
BANNED

antiquebmx

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29 PM »
not mocking at all, willing to help where I can have advised on some parts in another thread

ps I have a USED blue shotgun seat I would probaly part with, wouldnt be too much as it has some scuffs etc,  but im ouf of UK so if you can wait a few weeks

also got the pedals you need blue, kkt ratraps

both of above you can find though

cheers

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 02:39 PM »
new graphites on the bay ........ like $250 a set ...?        and
you could get some Kool Caps here f.ex     http://www.maidenusammp.com/              i find them very real-looking :shocked:;   but you do the maths

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 03:28 PM »
I have the wheels  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03 PM »
He has the wheels ! Quick !

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Im surprised there are comments in this thread...

leehunt1

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Cheers Terry  :daumenhoch:
who wants a smacked bottom first..? I come home from work and your all fighting amongst yourselves  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks for reminding me of the costs involved, Im fully aware of them, Im setting 2 or 3 years for this build so no rush
I thing the wheels and FF will be easy to get, Its some of the other smaller parts im concerned about
Im just doing research as and when things come up, Already had a conversation with chris and when he becomes my wife the wheels will be MINE...!!! ;D

I think BOB did just change the campy hub for a skyway coaster hub, or he got one of his mechanics to do it  :crazy2:

Anyway onwards and upwards, you big bunch of GIRLS  :D  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 06:11 PM »
I think BOB did just change the campy hub for a skyway coaster hub, or he got one of his mechanics to do it  :crazy2:
... ? :laugh:

old single graphite             1 day       http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skyway-7x-20x1-75-Rear-Graphite-mag-Campy-hub-parts-no-axle-gold-anodized-/151044167779?pt=US_Wheels_Wheelsets&hash=item232aef1863#ht_130wt_1004

leehunt1

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 06:34 PM »
new graphites on the bay ........ like $250 a set ...?        and
you could get some Kool Caps here f.ex     http://www.maidenusammp.com/              i find them very real-looking :shocked:;   but you do the maths

Repop parts wont be going on this build  :idiot2: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Lee, this is a great thread from all angles. From the helpful comments, to the cynical and everything in between - it's a great read.  I attempted to do a Hutch pro star build using as many genuine parts as possible, but finding an original crank and the costs involved put me off, and i'm not ashamed to admit it. It will now be between pro racer and pro star spec. The best of luck finding all the parts for this. I hope you can do it.  :)

Back on the subject of skyways: Does anyone know the weight difference between a regular tuff wheel and a graphite one? Is it really that much? I have regular alloy hubbed tuffs on my T/A, and although I love them, they are bleedin heavy compared to the spoked wheels on my MT Fox and Peugeot - (both are araya/araya style alloy rims with suzue hubs & stainless steel spokes). Just wondering if skyway graphites do live up to the hype?... I know they were much stiffer, so less flex. Any other advantages?

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 08:06 PM »
alloy freewheel were 2lbs 10 oz front and 2 lbs 11 oz rear, just couple of ounces heavier than graphites  :daumenhoch:

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Cant comment on OS graphites as I never had any, I did have ally hubbed tuffs as a kid, but weighed about 5 stone, so flex didn't come into it.

In the last few years I have had a few  pairs or new issue tuffs and now have a set of new graphites, weight wise, there is not much of a difference, but there is a good bit less flex in the graphites.

Love tuffs to look at, they are BMX to me, but they are not the best wheels for riding!!

and back on track.....

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for info you two  :)
Lee. Back over to you...  :)

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53 PM »
I think BOB did just change the campy hub for a skyway coaster hub, or he got one of his mechanics to do it  :crazy2:

Now this SOUNDS -..info from?- as if the bike you've in mind aren't 1st generation Graphites (="Campy" = Camagnolo, NOW i know it  :crazy2:), rather a 2nd/later generation set with STAR shaped flanges !   ------- That would probably better your chances a bit  (.. of finding an old coaster graphies set).

leehunt1

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 10:06 AM »
yep campy= campag
even i knew that  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
If you look at the picture of the bike im building it looks like the rear graphite has just had the hub changed to a sun tour one
I may ask Dom to ask Bob..!  :crazy2:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09 AM »
here's a repair-rather complete rebuid- kit

2 days  something (need to contact about shipping 2 uk)                http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Suntour-Coaster-brake-Hub-COG-skyway-tuff-old-school-BMX-OGK-rebuild-kit-/261216764217?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd1bb8139#ht_26wt_1242

.... resell if not needed...?  ???   ..... would be cool to rebuild an old set of graphies....i mean these rebuild sets gotta be good for something, right?  ;)

you know what? You should right an email to SKYWAY, and ask them if it was possible to transform an old graphy (rear freewheel or even front..) into a coaster suntour.
and if yes in which way: option 1) as i described (in reply#20): only the drive components 3) with one of these repair or rather REBUILD kits (different!).
and if NOT: what are the repair OR the rebuild kits good for in the first place .........? :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:22 AM by fischflo »

leehunt1

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52 AM »
^^ Front coaster..! now that sounds interesting  ;D

leehunt1

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00 PM »
I have a bid on that kit cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2013, 12:03 PM »
 ;D

the riveting can be done on way or another
look f.ex here
-> http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=113259.msg1105156#msg1105156       or
-> http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=244347&p=1

the question is how do you get the flanges attached to the hub cylinder   ------- i mean i cant see any flange at all on the rebuild kit i posted, or: on the rebuild kit YOU posted tere are two flanges attached to that "boy" as you called it ...... so how do you get that thing into the mag.....?!?!?!?!

leehunt1

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I think the re build kit is just the inner workings
i will need a donor coaster wheel to get the hub and flanges from

All this talk about flanges.. Ive got a Bonk on  :P

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2013, 12:28 PM »
...still the inner working gotta be attached to the flanges
...still the boy you posted (with both flanges on it) needs to be insertable into the mag (so how do you get at least one flange off ....back on?)
...still the kit i posted (no flanges in sight) youre bidding on doesn't seem to have flanges (ooooo, flanges...).

obviously at least one flange has to be firmly attached to the cylinder ....... how else would that bloody wheel turn?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour coaster onto skyway graphite ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx