gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring my Peregrine 48's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring my Peregrine 48's  (Read 12032 times)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Restoring my Peregrine 48's
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Evening all,

I thought i'd pick your brains/get opinions on restoring my 48's.

The front is pretty true, the hub's in good nick and will polish up well, as i think will the spokes. My LBS will true this up and the guy mentioned that i could keep the original spokes, but the nipples might need replacing.  Not sure whether to go the whole hog or not!

I was thinking about stainless spokes and nipples, or maybe some coloured (black maybe) anodised nipples?

How much should i be looking at for a wheel re-lace? i'm new to this

Any thoughts/advice?

Front:

Unfortunately the rear rim was dented beyond repair, but a friend has sourced a used replacement for me, however both rims (Front and rear) need work.. they have scratches and nicks all over them:

I was thinking about polishing these out with fine wet and dry paper, then using autosol on the rim to finish it.  Is this a good idea, or are they not worth it/is there a better method?

Id obviously be removing the anodising, so will i forever be polishing them?

If i have the cash, i will look at replacement decals too, anyone know of someone producing these?

Thanks for reading, hope you guys can guide me in the right direction!

:daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: Restoring my Peregrine 48's
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20 PM »
Wet and dry the edges, stainless spokes with silver nipples to stop rusting spokes in six months time, and peregrine decals from del, make sure you ask for the early type.  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I tried to go on Dels website, doesn't seem to be working. Shall i just PM him on here, or does he have a thread to post in?

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Just pm him on here.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:44 AM »
My LBS charges £16 a wheel for a build.

I build me own - you should give it a go - it's easier than it looks, rewarding and there's a handy guide here:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1344.0.html
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Sid1972

• Flip-Whip
  • Bloody kids bikes... : )
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I did a step by step guide on wheel restoring some time back. Search my name it should still be on here.  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guys.

I found a spoke key, so i'll probably have a go at dismantling/rebuilding one and see how i get on ;D

I had a practice polish today, started with 240 grit wet and dry and worked up to 1500, finished with Autosol.   Here's the results:

Before:

After:

Not bad for a quick job, long way to go before i get a mirror finish!

I'm currently debating whether to do the whole hoop, including the flat part where the lettering etc is, whilst the wheels apart.  Thoughts?

Also, should i be using a block, as i have just been using wet and dry in my fingers...will this method make the surface of the rim uneven?

Cheers :daumenhoch:

Offline Sid1972

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Always use a block, using wet and dry will not make the surface uneven enough for u to notice. But "bump" the block will give u a more consistent finish.

U will need a buffer really to get a mirror finish.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20 PM »
or better still sell them to me as they are and save you messing with em  :angel:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline wilsey72

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Thats corn that is.
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Good start mate, keep us updated how it goes... I've got some to do as well.  :daumenhoch:
GLOUCESTER RIDE 28th July 2018

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:06 PM »
doubt if you want to rebuild with same spokes so save a lot of hassle by cutting the spokes out with an angle grinder ... job done in seconds :-)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Well as it was pretty miserable outside today, i set about stripping the 48's. I've arranged to borrow Animals wheels straightening kit too, so fingers crossed i can save the rear rim.

I separated the spokes into 'innies and outies' as i wasnt sure whether they'd be different lengths...Does anyone know if i'll need to order two lengths of spokes to build the wheels? haven't measured them yet.

Another question...When i replace the spoked and nipples, does anyone know what length/guage i need, and the best place to order them from?

The fruits of my labour:

Offline Sid1972

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Measure the old spokes from the bend to the end of the thread and that will give u your size.  ;)

Offline scoff

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Wait for another rainy day and have a go at building your own wheel? If you've an old wheel, take it apart and try and put it back together? I build my own wheels, I have all the tools now (jig and spoke threader) and I taught myself on a rainy day too, with a few youtube video's.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39 PM »
The plan is to attempt to build these myself :daumenhoch: I just need to order the spokes and nipples and do some work on the hoops.

Have any of you chaps got any suggestions for where to buy the spokes? still considering the Black nipples to break up the silver/tie in with the decals.

I polished up the front hub tonight with various grades of wet and dry and autosol...

Before:

After:

quite pleased with that. Was supposed to be off out for a few beers, but got sidetracked! :loser: ;D

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Nice job of the polishing!  Thats turned out pretty damn sweet!  From what I remember youre gonna need 184mm spokes but dont take my word for it.  There's a thread on the museum that has loads and loads of spoke sizes for various rim/hub applications if you cant measure your own....do a searchy and thee will find :).

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 10:29 PM »
well, whilst the mrs was out at the cinema, i cracked open a beer and polished up the rear hub. Getting quite good at this polishing malarky. I hope the rims turn out nearly as nice.

Quick newbie question- are these hubs classed as 'high flange' hubs? i'm guessing they are?...

Results:

Before:

After:

Offline oldskull

• Curb Endo
  • - Freestyler poser -
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 12:12 AM »
 :daumenhoch: Look good! I got pair of hp48 ready for rebuild too. This thread will give me the idea for winter project! Thanks for sharing!!!  :daumenhoch:
JMC fork wanted for my 1980 JMC Long Standard project

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Afternoon all,

Well I've done a bit more on these recently. Having read Sids resto guide, I gave them a bath in Caustic Soda to remove the anodising:

x

Now this is stripped I have noticed some pitting on the brake surface of the rim. I think this may have been caused by the caustic soda:

Slightly annoying...I'm guessing the only way to remove
These is to use course sandpaper and work my way back up whilst polishing? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they got rid of the marks?

Seems like a lot of hassle! I guess they'll be worth it in the end!

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 08:45 PM »
just out of interest did the rims discolor after the caustic bath either brown or black ?

i take it you dipped em after you rubbed down the brake surface , seems unusual to get pitting on an already flatted off surface , bare alloy will discolor almost straight away in caustic and the anno finish should dissolve long before pitting  starts,    you should be left with a smooth surface under the discoloration that will polish up by hand pretty well.

some one might know if  hp rims were hard anno?

if that's the case then some hard anno will not come of with caustic you have to use abrasive to get it off before a caustic/ acidic clean,  or have em  re anodized professionally
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:12 PM by oldtired »

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28 PM »
They didn't discolour greatly. They were in the solution for about an hour, turned
Every 10 mins or so. I rubbed down a section of one rim before I dipped
Them, so they weren't completely bare aluminium.
I wonder if the solution was too strong/I left them in for too long, hence the pitting.

I'll attack them with some 80 grit and see what happens, it's the only way i can see to get rid of the pitting.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 07:18 AM »
  been in the solution to long i'm affraid,week solution for a long time will produce the pitting ,

your better off with a stronger solution for a short period of time , and rinse with lots of water straight after removing them also get any discoloration polished off before it has time to dry out as it will set back (oxidize) into the alloy

depending on how strong your solution was ,  they should have gone black or brown and the soluotion should have been bubbling getting warm and producing some nasty fumes ,  the last rim i stripped  with caustic took a few mins to completely remove the anno from the whole rim

looking at the last pic the one with the pitted brake surface it looks to me as though the anno has not come of , there's a definate line betwween the side and top surface, where the brakes have rubbed,   should be the same color side and top , noticed the stickers are still on too, usually they will come off when the anno dissolves underneath them ,   looking like these  might be hard anno?

just out of interest again were the bricks you used to take up the volume nice and clean , caustic dissolves organic compounds very well so i suspect you've cleaned the bricks rather than the rims ?  :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:35 PM by oldtired »

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for the replys.

The bricks were pretty clean, and i could see and hear the solution fizzing away around the rims, giving off fumes etc. I did think it was strange that the decals had survived the dipping process! (the pitting also only seems to be on the braking surface?)

Anyway, this is a learning curve and what's done is done.  Just wondering whether to carry on with these rims or source some others in good condition? These are never going to be perfect.  Are they hard to come by, or does anyone know where i can get a pair of correct NOS UKAI 48 hole rims? Any suggestions appreciated :)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Chaps, just considering my options.  From what i've read, Peregrine 48s came with either Araya or Ukai rims. If i do decide to change the rims, does anyone know what i should go for? Mine are single walled Ukai's at the moment with loose bearing suzue hubs.

I have seen some NOS Araya 7x rims at a good price. If i lace these up to my suzue hubs and sticker them up as Peregrine 48s is this a no no? :2gunsfiring_v1: Did peregrine 48s ever come with 7 x rims?

I'm not very clued up with this stuff, so any lessons you guys want to give me will be greatly appreciated!

I'm just thinking it will be a shame to build up using my nice hubs/new spokes etc, only to be let down by the hoops....

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 12:10 PM »
They only came with ukai rims.
I would rub the rims down with some wet and dry, going through the various grit levels until they look good.
Even though there is pitting it isn't that deep to effect the structure of the rim. You just need to put in a lot of elbow grease.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring my Peregrine 48's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx