gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 08:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring my Peregrine 48's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring my Peregrine 48's  (Read 12014 times)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Restoring my Peregrine 48's
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the info Discostu.

Does anyone know the type of rim i have? as far as i can tell they are early 48's with a single walled ukai rim, and from what i've researched it's a speedline.  However all the speedlines i have seen have the raised nipple sections, whereas mine dont?

The Araya 7x's look very similar to the speedlines, is there much difference?

I'm still in two minds about what to do...Whether to build up a 48 spoke wheel with the peregrine hubs, 7 x rims and have a nice tidy set of 48's, or to be anal and get the correct rims.  :idiot2:  and in the meantime try and source some NOS ukais or keep working on mine.

I'm getting in way to deep with this project :LolLolLolLol:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Evening guys/girls..

Well, i had the day off work today, so thought i'd attack the rear rim. It was pretty rough when it arrived, with a huge flat spot on it, and i thought it was unrepairable.  Animal kindly lent me his wheel straightening kit, which worked a treat.  It's not perfect, but I reckon it will true up ok.

Before:

And after a lot of elbow grease:

Flat spot was here:

Far from perfect, a few marks and tiny bit of pitting still visible, but im quite pleased with it.  Havn't managed the mirror finish i was hoping for, as i hand polished them. Might give them another going over before i build them up.

Got the rear rim to fix/polish next. NOT looking forward to it :uglystupid2:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:24 PM by laidback »

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50 PM »
 :daumenhoch: Hard work but very rewarding fella  ;)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 09:04 PM »
It has taken a while Animal, that's for sure! the tool worked a treat too :) i squished the spoke surface bit of the rim with the press, but its ever so small and slight - hardly noticeable.  I also left the rim in the caustic soda for too long, causing some minor pitting, which i haven't been able to completely remove...its my first wheel resto, so i'll learn by my mistakes!

I'll be in touch when the other one is done, and get the kit off to the next person with square wheels ;)

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43 PM »
I would invest in a polishing kit from eBay. They fit into a drill with an arbour bit and three mops. This kit comes with 3 grades of polish in a soap form. Use a kit like this for a couple of hours and the results will be much better.
A kit like this is normally around £30.  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Stu, i bought 3 cotton mops and red and green compound to go in my drill. I wasn't sure what compound to use, so i attacked it by hand.

The polishing kit was only a cheapy tool station job-cost me £3 :LolLolLolLol:

Is it worth using? do you know what colour compound i should use? haven't a clue!

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 10:53 PM »
What colours are they?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 10:58 PM »
green and red.

maybe one of these would be better....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Polishing-Kit-3-Aluminium-Brass-NFK0-3001-/300529917133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45f8fa9ccd

I did consider buying a bench grinder and kit, but i've just gentlemans relished a load of cash on that master :bellend:

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I would say the red is coarse and the green is fine.  :daumenhoch:

That kit on eBay looks ok as well. I tend to put the handle clamp around the drill and do that up in a vise, then hold what I'm polishing against the mop. It is much easier that way.  8)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 11:10 PM »
Thats a good idea! I'd better find a way of securing my new drill in my vice without wrecking it! I'll post results when i can be arsed to crack on with them again!

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Well i got one rim and hub completely finished today, and am half way through the second rim.  Polished it some more, and applied the decals.

Feast your eyes on these: one with flash on/one with it off, to show off the bling :LolLolLolLol:

I still can't decide whether to go for black nipples or keep them silver. Come on chaps, give me your thoughts, i'm new and clueless :uglystupid2: :)

griff

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 10:50 PM »
They look great!

I think either colour could work (depending on what you're doing with the rest of the bike) but would probably choose silver myself

It's your bike though so go with whatever you think works best  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Amazing job!  Im just about ready to polish a set myself too....and if they look half as good ill be happy!

I agree with Griff...silver nips all the way.  But again....it depends on your build and how much you want the wheels to pop....after all, youve put many hard hours of work into them so far....id go with your gut :)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, they are FAR from perfect, but you saw what i started with so, can't complain!

They will be going on this:

And here's what made me consider black spoke nipples:

I'm very much 50/50 :crazy2:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Finally finished the front rim, decals applied, just need to get some spokes and lace them up :) Time is at a premium these days, so i might take them to my LBS and have them build them up.  They are very knowledgeable and said it would't be a problem.

Here they are, waiting to be built (Can't stop looking at them "wantit"):

Glad all that polishing is over with!!

I'm going for stainless spokes and silver nipples, and keeping them 'classic' I think it's the best option, and means i can fit them to anything 8)

A quick question...because i'm an anal twat and like attention to detail :LolLolLolLol:...

What way should the Peregrine lettering face when the rims are laced up?, obviously the front doesnt matter, but should the top of the letters be nearest the freewheel, or the other way round? (i hope you get what i mean :loser:)

Cheeeeers..

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 05:29 PM »
 :4_17_5: great job should look good when you build em , :daumenhoch:,   i   think the lettering goes same side as freewheel ie letters the right way up looking from the freewheel side ,   bottom of letters on freewheel side  :daumenhoch: all the ones i've seen are like this ,   the front will only matter if you run directional tires ,

put em on,  take em off, put em on, line up the logo's with the valves get the bobbles out, realize you put it back on the wrong way round take em off put em on................ :idiot2: :idiot2:    its never ending  :LolLolLolLol: 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:31 PM by oldtired »

Offline Sid1972

• Flip-Whip
  • Bloody kids bikes... : )
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Awesome job mate....  :smitten:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Well, here they are chaps.. no photos of them off the bike, and they need a quick polish, but you get the idea.  a couple of tiny 'jumps' but not noticeable when riding...Overall, pretty pleased with them :)

See my FST thread, for some more pictures:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,166722.25.html

:daumenhoch:

P.S.- Animal, i've Pm'd you (if you're reading this ;))

griff

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Ace job  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring my Peregrine 48's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx