gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 01, 2024, 03:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Birmingham Wheels Frame - Reynolds bars
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Birmingham Wheels Frame - Reynolds bars  (Read 19117 times)

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Birmingham Wheels Frame - finally!!!
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Great thread this  :daumenhoch:

Cool bike, be nice to see it finished  :coolsmiley:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18 PM »
OK, so here are a few awesome period race shots of members of the Birmingham WHEELS team in action!! I am loosely basing my build around these photographs as they all seem to have a nice lightweight look about them. Note that they all appear to be running on skinnies, and in some cases have black padsets. One example shows a black frame with chrome forks. The bike in the first photo also seems to have cranks very similar to the Hanabishi items that came on my frame.

This is WHEELS team rider Ant Butt, stood next to his special edition WHEELS frame which came in a gold finish with red parts. There appears to be a second gold WHEELS bike in the background, also with red parts   "wantit"

I wonder where those gold frames are now....
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29 PM »
pics of my my expert :daumenhoch:

British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 06:34 PM »
^^^ That looks fantastic mate!  :daumenhoch:

Is that one of the built-up ones on Page1 of this thread or is it another one for me to add? Do you have the serial number (or mind sharing it?)

Chrome looks great - is it the original finish or a re-chrome?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30 PM »
 :welcome

That is very cool  8)

I would keep the decals on if original.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 08:35 PM »
:welcome

That is very cool  8)

I would keep the decals on if original.  :daumenhoch:

Hi mate - many thanks for the welcome! I've been around on the RAD forum for a while, just not posted much until now....

I am still deliberating about those decals as although they are original WHEELS decals they aren't the original ones for the frame. I tried to explain it (probably rather poorly) in an earlier post, but they are definitely from the Birmingham WHEELS office from BITD. Quite a few people have told me the same thing though, that i should retain them.

I might finish the build, add the missing repro decals and see how it looks with those originals on the downtube still in place before making up my mind... or will post on here for a bit of a vote!!

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 08:37 PM »
^^^ That looks fantastic mate!  :daumenhoch:

Is that one of the built-up ones on Page1 of this thread or is it another one for me to add? Do you have the serial number (or mind sharing it?)

Chrome looks great - is it the original finish or a re-chrome?
it's original chrome :daumenhoch:
i will get the frame number sorted ;)
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05 PM »
 :4_17_5:  ...a few items have arrived through the post recently, the latest being a set of hubs  :2funny:

NOS black and chrome Tioga MX402 sealed headset and black Tange locking nut:-

A pair of NOS uber-rare (and utterly bonkers) Vector Ultimate PV-1 pedals (with both 1/2inch and 9/16 spindles). I'd never seen a set of these in the flesh before, and never seen pics of them in an unpainted factory finish:-

Son-Lites    :smitten:

Offline Spartacus

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35 PM »
Nice mate.  8)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 02:04 AM »
If Batman had ridden a BMX, I'm sure those pedals would've been on it!!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Yeah, the pedals are a bit crazy but I love them! So unusual and amazingly light. I have no idea what they are made of... Anybody know?

I am currently waiting on a few bits and pieces to come back from the polishers/chromers before starting the build-up, plus I am about to send off the hubs and rims for lacing.

I also sourced a lovely NOS Shotgun II seat in black which I am waiting to be delivered. I will add a few more pics shortly :)

Slow but steady progress!

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Awesome build thread  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 10:53 AM »
Here's a few shots of the seatpost... now polished up and with black decals to match the colour scheme of the bike.

Still waiting on this to be delivered... never seen one this nice before!

monkian

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Awesome thread. Love the parts for it.
Should be a real stunner 8) :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 07:17 PM »
This is going to be an awesome bike when built, that Shot Gun looks amazing. :coolsmiley:

I'm unsure about those pedals though.  :-\

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Clean

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Am loving this thread, but I am with our Danno regarding the pedals. Rare as they may be, they do t look at all right for the bike, IMHO. :-\

Really enjoying the piccies of the red and yellow airtex Team Wheels racing Jerseys; I had one my dad bought me, and I distinctly remember it costing a fiver, which back in 1982 / 1983 (can't remember when, exactly) was a hell of a lot of money, especially for my folks. Unfortunately, it didn't make my BH California no my lighter!  :idiot2:

Great thread, mate; cheers! :4_17_5:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I'm actually quite surprised it has taken this long for somebody to mention the pedals; they are a bit funky, I agree. We'll see how they look when tidied up and fitted.

I also have a Plan B ;)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I'm actually quite surprised it has taken this long for somebody to mention the pedals; they are a bit funky, I agree. We'll see how they look when tidied up and fitted.

I also have a Plan B ;)

That's a pretty nice back up plan too mate.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07 PM »
I think this is going to be one of my favourite builds. I really like those pedals on their own - It will be interesting to see what they look like when it's all done. Looking great so far - That Shotgun seat really stands out

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I think this is going to be one of my favourite builds. I really like those pedals on their own - It will be interesting to see what they look like when it's all done. Looking great so far - That Shotgun seat really stands out

Thanks for that matey. I am trying to add a few of my own favourite parts where I can whilst staying as close as possible to what seems to be the original build. I'm excited to see it finished myself!!

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25 PM »
and that headset is like the Fonz -  8)

Offline sweetg

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Seat post looks great ding  :) like everyone has said this is going to be a great looking bike when done......very nice set of back up pedals and you know where to get rid of those ugly looking vector pedals LOL..... :D if you decide to go plan b.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Seat post looks great ding  :) like everyone has said this is going to be a great looking bike when done......very nice set of back up pedals and you know where to get rid of those ugly looking vector pedals LOL..... :D if you decide to go plan b.

Haha! Yes mate, had a few messages interested in the PV-1 pedals should I not use them already! They are so light though, and that is just what I am after so I can see me using them tbh. Dare to be different and all that. We shall see! All the parts have come together nicely now. All I need is the chain and I'm done.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Birmingham Wheels Frame - slow progress....
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Well not too much progress with the WHEELS build recently. I have stripped the remains of the JT Racing decals from the forks, as well as the remnants of what i presume was the original WHEELS head tube sticker (although i noted the exact position). All that was left was a plain silver circle. I have also removed the old headset and replaced it with the NOS Tioga item i posted previously. Looks very good!

The Shot Gun II arrived through the post and turned out to be just as good as it appeared in the pics. It's awesome, and literally mint, with an '82 date stamp on the underside   :daumenhoch:

I've also taken in a heap of parts to ACF Howell in Walsall for polishing and/or rechroming. Bars, brake components, the Hanabishi cranks that came with the frame, and the PV-1 pedals along with other bits and pieces. Hopefully they should be ready for collection in the next couple of weeks.

The DX pedals are also even better than i expected, again being super-mint. I am starting to feel somewhat torn between using them and the PV-1's now, especially as the DX's are original in black so would match the build perfectly (and go with the seat post) and i could then use the shiny PV-1's on my next (blue framed) build which i am also in the pre-planning phase of. Hmmm?

I guess i will try both sets of pedals on the bike and see what i think then.

The hubs and rims have also gone off to a very helpful member of this forum to be laced up so i am very excited about seeing them, especially as i have just heard that they are currently underway :coolsmiley:

That's about all for the time being... i think once i have everything back it will build-up pretty quickly!

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Looking good Martin!!  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Birmingham Wheels Frame - Reynolds bars

gfxgfx
gfx gfx