gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 11:54 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  Parts reference section?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Parts reference section?  (Read 17367 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Parts reference section?
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Would it be a real pain to have a parts reference section?  :-\

I used to use the one on the museum all the time to check items out and maybe find new stuff i didn't know existed but they have recently ballsed it up with their site tweek.

Surely its time we had our own

If people could add clear pics, a date of manufacture and any other relevant info to sub headed threads like stems, wheels, pedals etc i think it would be a valuable addition to rad  :daumenhoch:

I know an effort has been made to start a similar thing in tech stickies but it would be nice if they were unified under their own section heading so they are easier to find.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:01 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Parts reference section?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Tell me where you would like it and how you would like it to look and I will sort it.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Sean, i think in order to be user friendly it would need its own title (with one of the green/red orb things) between the tech and restoration heading and the museum heading ideally.
If it then had threads headed stems, pedals, wheels, seats, cranks etc it would be a great repository of info.

To get it going we could graft the existing parts reference posts mixed up in the stickies if that is possible

not sure who would mod it but it would need keeping an eye on to keep it to just informative pics and related info rather than chatter.
Maybe a little header suggestion to posters to add dates, manufacturers etc along with their pics.

I know this may be asking alot but i think everyone would find it useful, newbs and old hands alike  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Good idea this  :daumenhoch:

Date stamped stuff is easy enough when searching for parts,

Stuff like grips, stems, bars, tyres, rims etc is a bit harder to fathom 

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:02 PM »
something along the line of "martinbike"  ?  don't want to take anything away from his site... but haven't been able to access it for months, and I found it invaluable .

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:53 PM »
I think the only way it would work is to have it as a read only area and people submit photos for the mods and admin to add in the correct sections.

This would be extremely time consuming though and would need some proper thought on how it would work?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:04 PM »
I did think that but i thought it would be too much work for you guys Rob.
If a mod could just keep an eye on it from time to time hopefully it could keep itself tidy like our museum section  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 10:08 PM »
I actually think our museum section sucks. It doesn't really give any proper information at all.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I totally agree, its more just a collection of photo's of whatever brand you are looking at.
It does seem to stay comment free though  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Yet another idea I put forward lsst year ans was told "The Museum has it there, we dont need it here"  :yahoo_silent:

I spent 2 months a little back sorting the Mitsuboshi/Tioga timeline as it was wrong on the Museum. A valuable tool when trying to attain the correct era tyres for your build without having to go searching. Let me know if you want it guys okay.
BANNED

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 10:18 PM »
I think the only way it would work is to have it as a read only area and people submit photos for the mods and admin to add in the correct sections.

This would be extremely time consuming though and would need some proper thought on how it would work?

I am sure we have a new moderator who needs a job to do Rob  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 10:19 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: good point Sean  ;D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:20 PM »
This is exactly my thinking Terry :daumenhoch: Informed listings from people who know the subject rather than a "this stem came on my 86 mongoose when i got it" sort of post

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Keep throwing ideas at us guys for this, I like the sound of it and if it can be added (even if it is a pain in the ass for Retrodan72 to moderate  :LolLolLolLol:) we will add it.

At the end of the day it is your forum and we will accomodate things however we can.

I want to find a way of having our Bike Museum alphabetised as it bugs the shit out of me as it is.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who's bugged by it.

Let's see what we can do about that Sean  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37 PM »
To be honest, when the site was back up with this new one, I loved having the old school bmx section as it was, if only people knew how it was meant to be used. Race section for completed builds and race chat for all the other stuff about race bikes. It would have worked and been so neat and tidy if people didn't start 40 page threads about a build in the race section.

Maybe it was the headers that threw people off, I don't know.

It will definately need moderating for sure and will need someone with knowledge of parts, a tidy clean person who knows how to file etc etc would be a help too.

I know what you mean on that front Clint. No just willt nilly shots of a stem on a bike in the shed at the back in the dark saying my Robinson with a gold stem on etc etc  :D   ;D
BANNED

griff

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 11:39 PM »

It will definately need moderating for sure and will need someone with knowledge of parts, a tidy clean person who knows how to file etc etc would be a help too.

:LolLolLolLol: @ tidy & clean, you don't want much do you Tel?  :teef:
Why not add on big boobs and that they turn into a 4 pack & a ham sandwich at midnight?

Seriously though a section like that would be cool, the ones we have where parts are supposed to go into 'race' or 'freestyle' don't work for me tbh, while some things are obvious eg Potts mod stems/smooth tyres there are loads of bits that could go on any bike

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47 PM »
So is this a potential go'er then guys?
It bugs trying to find out the simplest of info like what year a rotor is when google is now overrun with Chinese companies trying to pedal shite
 :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 11:58 PM »
@ tidy & clean, you don't want much do you Tel?  :teef:

Nope  ;D To be fair mate, I am a bit funny about tidiness, bought up that way and when the old sections were here, it used to bug the fook out of me when someone posted a freestyle bike in the race section or asked a technical question in the completed builds race section. I kind of thought it was laziness as it was simply laid it and easy to know where things went.

ones we have where parts are supposed to go into 'race' or 'freestyle' don't work for me
Totally agree on that mate.

I think it needs a simple format of a thread for the year, say 1981. In that thread it needs an each part section, say stems. In that it just needs the stems available for you to buy in 1981. No comments or jokes or banter, just the model and pictures.

I know some years will have some of the same parts in it but, for a newbie or quick reference, If I or they were building a 1981 bike, you could just click on the tab and see what stems were available for your build in that year. Simple.

As for the logistics and layout, I couldn't comment as I don't know the format your site, sorry  :-\
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:01 AM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 12:45 AM »
Man, just had another look over on the museum and its a mess, stuff missing and all posts by a few mods (i guess because they did the transfer to the updated site)
I had a few guys over there pm me about more info on some mags i posted and they wouldn't be able to do that now as my tag isn't on the post.

If the reference section is going ahead (in whatever format) is there a way we can make sure the valuable info doesn't get lost by site updates, crashes and people deleting their images from their photobucket account? (this really fooks me off when looking through old threads  >:()

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 10:55 AM »
have you not looked at the stickies in the tech section

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56 AM »
small point , just my opinion

i think would clarify things to set out the years in decades 70-79 80-89 etc, for the components , think there's less than 30 individual components on a bike

so headsets        70-79
                        80-89
                        90 -99
                        20-09
                        10-

this will do away with the fuzzy line between "schools "  and the enevitable "that's in the wrong era threads,  you can decide which school for yourself after dating the parts , 

maybe the wrong way to do it but seems logical to me,   :idiot2: :LolLolLolLol:

i know its a big job to set up a data base like this , but once its done it will be great reference starting point , the  BMXmuseum one has been used for years by most of us so why not have a better one here  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

sure if moderated well (Dan :daumenhoch:)  it will prove itself invaluable

Edit note to self ........read the whole thread before posting :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:13 PM by oldtired »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Jim, 'schools' wouldn't come into it.

The way I see it working is like this....(shoot me down if people think I'm barking up the wrong tree)

Bikes listed by make and year

Parts listed under headings of Grips, Stems, Brakes then listed under make.

What do you think?

Also keep it to 4 pictures Max on each item and a brief breakdown, not a whole page of waffle.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 12:44 PM »
all good ,   yup i think listing under "make" would simplify the  sections , i only mentioned the dates as in the past i've trawled through pages and pages of say for eg :-   hubs,   trying to date or id them on the museum, then had to post up a thread saying "can you date this bit" or "can you id this bit"

i suppose there could be  separate threads in the the reference section just  for  component manufacturer id and dating,  once a definate id is found this info could be added to the ref section ?   

difficult , how many sub categories before it gets complicated to navigate ,   makes your headache  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:24 PM by oldtired »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  Parts reference section?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx