gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 06:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Laserlite brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Laserlite brakes  (Read 556 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Laserlite brakes
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I've just picked up an '83 Laserlite and need to sort out a brake set for it. The bike is not factory-spec but I'd still like to stick with Dia-Compe. Ideally I'd like an MX1000 or 900 with a Tech 3 lever but I'm put off by the high prices of orginals, plus I've already got a couple of silver MX1000s which I can take off my Trident when I'm next back in England (hopefully in time for MK14!).  There's always the repro option but I've heard mixed reviews about the re-issued MX1000s from Dia-Compe's Taiwanese factory. I'm therefore thinking about MX890s, as these can be picked up more cheaply than 1000s/900s and they're still era-correct and made in Japan. I'm also deliberating whether to go for silver or black (the bike will be running black Z-rims). Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!  :daumenhoch:

Thanks!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Laserlite brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:35 PM »
My mx 1000's are black with silver tech 3's on black z's, I think they look  :coolsmiley:, I also fitted acs pads, now about those repro's  :whistle: , this is my own opinion , don't want to start any  :knuppel2: because many peeps have bought these and are happy with them but after having the originals BITD they are garbage, I bought a set to save some money for the rest of the build and when they arrived I thought they were nasty and I even added some weinmann adjusters to try and make them look better.
I eventually bought a NOS set stamped 1983 mx1000's and had trouble getting rid of the others for £50 posted after they cost me £70.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:39 PM by snoppy72 »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Laserlite brakes
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:32 AM »
Thanks for that - much appreciated!  :daumenhoch:

I'm definitely steering away from the re-issues and am also thinking of MX1020s as another alternative.
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Laserlite brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx