gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline  (Read 21583 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:20 AM »
MODS - PLEASE LEAVE THIS HERE AS IT NOT ENTIRELY COMPLETED AND MEMBERS DO NOT LOOK IN THE STICKIES, thank you.

Below you will find the Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline that I have managed to piece together so far, with information coming from articles, old school racers, collectors and a tyre seller from this era.

There are a few I still need to add to this but please be patient.

A little history from some Racers, Collectors and Tyre sellers:-

"The patriot logo on the competition IV was a short lived design, only lasting a few months in 1984 when they were introduced. It's the tire that came on the first generation Hutch Pro Star and initially had both logos, the one shown and the Hutch branded logo facing opposite. The very first set of Competition IV I owned in 1984 had the patriot logo, as I call it, and the word is spelt out Competition IV. The next incarnation, after the buy out, was the green/yellow/blue logo, where the logo was condensed to Comp IV. This also reflected the Tioga logo brand colours".

"A Quick overview. Anything with the entire word spelt out, Stadium, Competition II, III and IV, is pre 1984 and Mitsuboshi owned. The rights and production were sold, or acquired, by Tioga in late 1983 but finalized by mid 1984, where upon the model names were shortened, Comp ST, II, III, IV, and later, Ramp and Pool added on the Freestyle tires".

"In 1985, Tioga issued the grey/white blue/green logo without the detailing in the lettering. By that I mean the outline around the text. I can't tell you exactly when they came out as I dropped out of the scene by then, but I would guess it was the next incarnation of Comp III, the logo remained similar but better".

"The first stadium tires are also considered Competition II tires, as the tread is moulded into the skinwall. It was designed initially as an indoor or stadium racing tire, versus the knobby version, which was obviously designed for outdoor dirt track use. They were later adopted by trick riders, who normally preformed on asphalt lots, gymnasiums or flat ground venues".

"Another thing to remember is that quite a few different tire makers may have been commissioned to manufacture them at different times, or at the same time to support demand, so the logos may vary slightly as did the compound, seen in some skinwalls which appear to have red beading where others appear to have white or golden. LHR, Cheng Shin and a handful others handled production at times too. It's also noted in the serial numbering on most of the early tires. Some may start LHxxxxx or CSxxxxx etc, indicating who was producing it at the time. That's how the early ones I was connected to ran. After I was made aware of that fact back in the day, I began running the Cheng Shin for less money without issue and never looked back, until now, and I only care now from a collectors stand point. I still feel the original Cheng Shin,old logo, was the best tire for the money, one could buy".

Mitsuboshi Competition II Yellow label 1978-1983

Tioga Orange/Blue/Green label Comp II label believed to have started around 1983 - 1985

Mitsuboshi Competition III Yellow label 1981 - 1982

Mitsuboshi Yellow label Competition III 1982-1983

Tioga Comp III Black/Green/Yellow label 1983-1985

Another label variation. Appears to be Factory of Production specification 1983 - 1985

Tioga Comp III Blue/Green/Grey label 1985 - 1986

Tioga Comp III Blue/Green/Grey label 1987-1992 (Better detailing replaced the latter)

Tioga Comp III 'Rainbow' label 1992 - 1998

Tioga Comp III 'Rainbow' label 'All Blacks' 1998 - ??

Mitsuboshi Competition IV only produced from Mid 1983 until December 1983. Also used on the Hutch Pro Star release with the Hutch tyre logo being opposite, facing the Mitsuboshi logo

Tioga Comp IV 1983 - 1986

Tioga Comp V Red/Blue/Green label 1984 - 1985 These are sew ups for Araya skinny rims

Tioga Comp V Blue/Green/Grey label 1985 - 1988

The first Mitsuboshi Comp ST tyre known only as Stadium tyres 1980 - 1983

Tioga Comp ST Blue/Green/White label 1984 - 1986

Tioga Comp ST Blue/Green/Grey label 1987 - 1992

Tioga Comp Ramps Blue/Green/White label 1987 - 1992

Tioga Pro Hex. I cannot find anything on these tyres so if anyone knows anything, please let me know, thanks.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:46 AM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 12:21 AM »
This advert, found in Go Feb 1992 Vol 3 Issue 4, was the last year of the Blue/Green/Grey label, and the birth of the 'Rainbow' label.

BANNED

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Here's a pic of the early version of the yellow label Competition III to add to your list Terry  :daumenhoch:

If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:36 AM »
Here's a pic of the early version of the yellow label Competition III to add to your list Terry  :daumenhoch:

Thanks Steve. I will get on the case to try and find their time line  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »
 :bump:
BANNED

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I have some genuine comp 111's with no label....     :-\

my guess would be from around the rainbow label era from looking at the tyre,  but who's to say when they were made....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

griff

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27 PM »
This should be a sticky!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 04:05 AM »
This is already in the Tech and Resto stickies section  ::)  If members don't look there why would they look in here?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:23 PM »
This is already in the Tech and Resto stickies section  ::)  If members don't look there why would they look in here?

This should be a sticky!
I asked for it to remain 'unstickied' so I could amend as necessary buddy  :)
BANNED

griff

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Sunday  :bump:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I love this thread as i have a rubber fetish. Great work Terry

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 10:11 PM »
If it's a sticky or not, I very much appreciate this great thread.  :coolsmiley: Now I know my Comp ST's and Ramp's are from 87-92.
Many thanks for your effort and sharing this!  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 10:30 PM »
I love this thread .. There is a lot of misunderstanding where labels are concerned..
This is the kind of excellent detail and research that has always separated Radbmx from other lesser options in the old school world  :smitten:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39 PM »
I hope I am not repeating anything but I did not see this variant posted in what is a great thread, and I like anoraks.
Mitsuboshi Silver Star Comp III. Purchased on a pair of, although it is not clear, 1980 Z rim wheels laced to Suntour hubs with the rear being a cassette type. Both are 2.125. I would use them on my current build but they are hard and some of the embossed text is falling off. They are blue.  :'(

If I am missing the point and Tioga continued the Mitsuboshi trade name then I am sorry, my bad and still a newb (and I suspect always but will continue to ask silly things because I just do not know!)
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:20 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 09:06 PM »
This thread is definitely worth a  :bump:

I think prior to this thread there was definitely a lot of misconceptions especially about comp STs and rainbow labels  :smitten:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline wilsey72

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Thats corn that is.
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Keeping this where I can find it.
 :bump:
GLOUCESTER RIDE 28th July 2018

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 03:47 PM »
One of my favourite threads and a great source of information. I could sit and look at tyres all day. Life in the slow lane  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 11:38 AM »
I've Stickied this as I use it a lot and get sick of searching for it.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41 PM »
I hope I am not repeating anything but I did not see this variant posted in what is a great thread, and I like anoraks.
Mitsuboshi Silver Star Comp III. Purchased on a pair of, although it is not clear, 1980 Z rim wheels laced to Suntour hubs with the rear being a cassette type. Both are 2.125. I would use them on my current build but they are hard and some of the embossed text is falling off. They are blue.  :'(

If I am missing the point and Tioga continued the Mitsuboshi trade name then I am sorry, my bad and still a newb (and I suspect always but will continue to ask silly things because I just do not know!)
Sorry for the delay in replying, I rarely get on here these days, sadly. What i can tell you though, the labels on your tyres indicate they are second generation Mitsuboshi made Comp III's. They were produced between 1983 and 1985, when Tioga took ovr full production and changed the label on the sidewalls and removed the Mitsuboshi embossing. I hope that helps buddy  :)
BANNED

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 06:33 AM »
Trouble sleeping tonight/this morning!
The number of times I have visited this thread...

One question has occurred to me: what happened to the 'Competition' tyre? The tyre that retrospectively would have been the 'Competition I'?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:56 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline itsasinch

• BMX Legend
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Thank you. Very informative

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mitsuboshi / Tioga Timeline

gfxgfx
gfx gfx