gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 03:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  KZ-83 Laserlite build - Finally finished!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: KZ-83 Laserlite build - Finally finished!!  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
KZ-83 Laserlite build - Finally finished!!
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Hi guys! I’ve already posted a few questions in this section (on Laserlite brakes, Jaguar seats, unknown bars and dodgy dropouts - thanks for the replies!) but thought I’d tie it all together here, the first time I've posted a build.  :daumenhoch:

By way of background, I’ve wanted a Laserlite since I first saw one bitd. A kid in my hometown had one and being a friend of a friend, I got to see it a few times but never rode it. When freestyle became popular he bought a CW Freestyler (which I subsequently bought from him) and the Laserlite was consigned to the back of his garage, never to be seen again (I wonder what happened to it??).

Fast forward 25 years when I started getting back into the old school bmx scene, and the memory of that bike still lingered. That feeling was heightened in 2009 when I moved to Japan, the home of Kuwahara, Tange, Araya, Suntour, Sugino and all the other famous Japanese brands. I dreamed of stumbling on an old, abandoned Laserlite (or for that matter, any old school bike) but although I saw some decent bikes in the old school bmx shops and meetings I visited, the elusive barn find remained just that. I therefore bought myself an ‘87 Haro Group 1 as my weekend rider and started looking for other bikes to satisfy that old school craving, though would always have a look at the latest Laserlite build posted on here or the Musuem.

To cut a long(er) story short, the 30 year wait is finally over, as I’ve just picked up a Tange-made KZ-83 with oval tubes.  :smitten:  This is definitely a survivor – the frame and forks show some use and abuse, with a bit of pitting and chrome loss, and a dent on the top of the right seat stay. The latter and the og sticker on the seat tube were damaged in the efforts to free a stuck seat post!  :'( That said, it's still a beautiful frame! Apart from the Laserlite decal on the top tube, most of the decals are there, if well-worn, but some of the factory parts have long gone, including the bars, rims, seat and brakes. It does however have the Suntour power stem and broken arrow clamp! Here's a pic...

So what’s the plan? Well this is going to replace my Haro as my weekend rider so I’m not too concerned about it being factory-spec – I couldn’t afford that bitd and can’t now! The dent and the missing factory parts make that an easier decision. That said, I would still like to keep it fairly era-correct and am currently looking for an early 80s Dia-compe rear brake set. I’m also thinking about replacing the no-name and battle-scarred seat post with a new Nitto one, as these look to be good quality. I may change the bars for the Laser bar look-a-like Hsin Lung ones, though my bars do have a “Japan” stamping so I’m tempted to keep them. & although the bike came with an original stem pad, I’d like a complete, matching pad set but am thinking about something a little different from the normal lightning bolt ones – I’ve always liked the pin-striped or checked Cal-lites or Zap Pads so will look out for a set of those, and possibly in red rather than black to accent the red rising sun of the decals. Apart from that, I just want to fulfill a 30 year old dream and ride the damn thing!!

Thanks for looking!

Mick
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:48 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: KZ-83 Laserlite Build
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Ace story Mick, keep us updated with how this moves on buddy, we're all suckers for a good build thread on RAD.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Kuwi's look great with red pads.

Here's my old one.

One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Kuwi's look great with red pads.

Couldn't agree more! I can't quite make it out in the photo but what brake were you running?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42 PM »
DC890
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 09:24 AM »
While I'm gathering parts, thought I'd have another look at the frameset. I'm definitely going for the survivor look but still want it to look good!  :LolLolLolLol:

The previous owners used a rust eater, then soap and water, and my concern is that if I use yet another method I'm going to damage the chrome and/or decals. Here are some pics of the forks so you can see the condition:

So my question is:- leave as it is (which I'm ok about doing) or try something else???

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Loveliness  :daumenhoch:

I had the same indecisions when I picked up my Exhibitionist. The chrome had blackening in places with plenty of rust too. I too wanted to keep the original chrome and decals it had from new so, I used a craft blade set an angle and painstakingly set about removing all the rust that I could from it, being extra careful around the decals. After a very long time  :crazy2:  I used peek to polish it out.

You can give it an OA bath which will not affect the decals but I have heard that if you do not thoroughly wash out the frame, it will eat at the bare metal from the inside out over time. Some people say that spraying WD40 through the tubes after doing the bath will protect it but then I also read that WD40 will damage the metal too. There is thread on The Museum about this and the guy doing the restore said he used a different product for protecting the inside of the tubes after the bath but I cannot remember what it was, sorry.

This is how mine turned out just with a craft blade and Peek polish.

BANNED

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Thanks for that Terry!  :daumenhoch:

I'm reluctant to give it an OA bath as I've never done it before, don't have the gear and being in Japan, can't read any of the labels/instructions on anything I buy here (that goes for food too)!!  :crazy2: Tbh, I'm also wary of damaging a frameset that I've waited so long to own!

Your Exhibitionist turned out great!! Is Peek polish similar to the Mothers stuff that I read about all the time over on the Museum? Maybe I should try to pick some up when I'm next in Blighty!

Now, I wonder where I can pick up some nice-looking Cal-lites?  ;)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:05 PM »

As already said you cant go wrong with an Oxy bath. Try it overnight about 12 hours. It wont harm the decals.Then just wash it over with water. Finish off with some peek polish.  :daumenhoch:

Looking forward to seeing this built.  :)

Offline oldskull

• Curb Endo
  • - Freestyler poser -
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I am too lazy to read all of it :P but make sure you check the bar good. Kuwahara did make laserbar without stamp. Your bars might be Laserbar unstamped.

Lovely project BTW, I know the feeling about the old days. Same with me, in the old days never ever I can owned a Laserlite, but 20years later finally I own it, not one but 2 laserlite, 2 nova :P
JMC fork wanted for my 1980 JMC Long Standard project

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14 AM »
Thanks guys!  :daumenhoch:

I am too lazy to read all of it :P but make sure you check the bar good. Kuwahara did make laserbar without stamp. Your bars might be Laserbar unstamped.

Here are the bars...

....with a close-up of the stamps....

....and the welding.

I like the size and shape of them, just wish they were cr-mo!  ;D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Time for an update. First off, I’ve been collecting a few parts from here and there, so thanks to Vos, Terry, JT and animal for the seat, padset, brake pads and chain tensioners respectively.

As you can see from the following photos, I now also have a choice of rear brake set, namely a silver set ('83 DC890 + Tech 3) and a red set ('83 MX1000 + Tech 3). I want to have a bit of red in this build so am leaning towards the red set but what do people think?

As some of you may have already read, I’ve also been having bar issues:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,172153.0.html

I’m therefore on the look-out for replacements but am deliberating what to go for. Lasers are out of my price range and I’ve already missed out on 2 sets of Tioga race bars. I've got a few more coals in fires but what do people think about these Powerlite Pros?

I know they’re not factory correct (and these ones are not even era-correct, being '89 at the earliest) but as I already have some US parts going on here (Z rims and GT hubs), I’m not adverse to some non-Japanese parts plus I think they might go well with the survivor racer-look I’m aiming for.

As always, any advice or suggestions would be greatly received. Thanks in advance!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 06:37 PM »
I would go with the red mx1000  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldskull

• Curb Endo
  • - Freestyler poser -
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I would go with the red mx1000  :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch:

and keep the original bars  ;)
JMC fork wanted for my 1980 JMC Long Standard project

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Put a wanted add up for some Win bars (pro size) or Hsin Lung.  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Hsin Lung bars are probably favourite, they're virtually identical to Kuwi laser bars.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29 AM »
Hsin Lung bars are probably favourite, they're virtually identical to Kuwi laser bars.  :daumenhoch:

No love for the Powerlites??

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 12:05 AM »

No love for the Powerlites??
Yeh I like Powerbends but don't think they'd look right on a Kuwi .  :)
Them bars you got there'll will look sweet on it.  :daumenhoch:
Just get them crossbar welds looked at... looks like putty.  :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: KZ-83 Laserlite Build - Update
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I’ve recently received some more parts, namely NOS Z-pads from JT, chain adjusters from animal and some MKS Footjaws from eBay.

I’ve got some more parts waiting for me in England but I’m probably going to have to wait for those until the summer. In the meantime, I’m still on the look-out for some bars and am due to pick up some Knarler Knobbies and a Nitto layback from Ian at Natsukashi. There’s an old school bmx meeting in Tokyo on 18th May so I’m aiming to get the Kuwi at least up and running for that.

Also, I’ve just started another term at university and the surname of one of my new 1st year students is……… ……yeah, you’ve guessed it, Kuwahara! My first one in 4 years! It must be a sign!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: KZ-83 Laserlite Build - Update
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 05:25 AM »
Some more parts for my Kuwi-build have just arrived from England - a Cal-lite padset, an '83 Shotgun II, some Tange grips and a Clark's powerglide cable.  :)

All these were bought from fellow Radsters so thanks a lot guys!  :bow:

I'm now almost ready to start building this baby. Other than picking up some tyres and a Nitto layback from Ian at Natsukashi, the only thing I need to sort out is bars. I've actually bought some Win bars on Rad but couldn't get them shipped over here (or rather, they wouldn't fit into my girlfriend's suitcase) so I may have to use the no-name, dodgy weld ones that came with the bike (as discussed above) as a stop-gap unless I can find something suitable over here. In any case I'm aiming for an August finish, so watch this space!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:05 AM by Mikku »

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: KZ-83 Laserlite Build - Updated 1st August
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 06:40 AM »
More pics required.......

:4_17_5:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Hsin Lung straight cro-mo bars are the closest thing to Laserbars without breaking the bank and there nice bars to.

JT Smooth may still have some?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13 AM »
Yeah, I like them too and was originally thinking of getting some for this but decided to hold out for something older, hence the Win Pros I've picked up. Plus I think Dan has cornered the secondhand market for all the Hsin Lungs that come up anyway!  :daumenhoch:

The main problem I've got is a logistical/financial one, namely getting things to Japan without breaking the bank!!  :crazy2:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Hsin Lung are still from the eighties, so would work. As bodamus has said as near to Laser Bars as you could get.  :daumenhoch:
Think JTSmooth once had pics up of them together for peeps to see.  :-\

Yeah, I like them too and was originally thinking of getting some for this but decided to hold out for something older, hence the Win Pros I've picked up. Plus I think Dan has cornered the secondhand market for all the Hsin Lungs that come up anyway!  :daumenhoch:

The main problem I've got is a logistical/financial one, namely getting things to Japan without breaking the bank!!  :crazy2:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02 PM »
I’ve sorted my bar problem (well, sort of) in that I've now got two sets to choose from though since they’re both in the UK, I’m going to use the ones that came with the bike to get it up and running and then replace them as and when I get the others out here! What a palaver!

Anyway, I met up with Ian from Natsukashi Bmx in Tokyo this week and picked up the following:-

New Panaracer Knarler Knobby tyres and tubes and a Nitto layback plus a used Suntour headlock. Sweet!!

& the finishing touch – some decals from Del! I’m leaving the og decals on but the Laserlite ones were missing so had to be replaced!

Am hoping to get this finally built up within the next week or thereabouts, so watch this space!!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  KZ-83 Laserlite build - Finally finished!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx