gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 09:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Supergoose u.k Supergoose usa
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Supergoose u.k Supergoose usa  (Read 72234 times)

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Supergoose u.k Supergoose usa
« on: August 12, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Well i don't know what to make of this. Just bought this bike of an old friend who has had it since he was a kid and its def a supergoos because he has had it from new and i used to know the bike. Now i know what you are going to say but there isnt two holes in the brake bridge. But i also had a supergoose as a kid and can't remember it having two holes in the brake bridge or the rear tubes being thicker.  I have weighed the bikes and they both weigh the same and they are both the same length as you can see by the photos. So is it right that the uk supergoose is different to the usa supergoose and if so why???. Why didnt they make them the same, and has anyone else got a uk spec supergoose, cheers dudes :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Supergoose u.k Supergoose usa
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 07:27 PM »
i dunno, but they look cool next to each other like that.
I want to touch ORB

selfpreservation

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 07:32 PM »
i have read that the us supergoose hase a thicker diameter back end (like a proclass) than the uk i think that some of the early ones didnt have 3 holes in the brake bridge (though this may only apply to sg1 sg2 ) lovely ff by the way i love supergeese your a lucky man  mine looks like the fatter back end one us i guess BTW that kick stand hole is criminal

out of interest what year are they?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:35 PM by selfpreservation »

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:51 PM »
Yeah who would put a stand on a supergoose, fooking idiot. The uk super is an 84 and the usa super is a 83 me thinks ;) :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 08:19 PM »
only one of those is a supergoose

the geometry on the back end is different (As the pics show) - the supergoose has a lower BB. makes for a nice ride IMO
the front triangles look identical though

i have a super and an expert frame - put together they look like the 2 in the photos here

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 08:31 PM »
only one of those is a supergoose

the geometry on the back end is different (As the pics show) - the supergoose has a lower BB. makes for a nice ride IMO
the front triangles look identical though

i have a super and an expert frame - put together they look like the 2 in the photos here

I can see what you are saying but did the uk supergoose have a lower BB?? There seems to be nothing to compare it to because everybody has usa supergoose's. Also the decals are original and as i said my friend bought the bike new as a supergoose.

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Kuwahara raised the BB on the Laserlite to allegedly make that a better race frame (for some reason or other that i can't remember)  ::)

not got much to do with the gooses but i'd like to know the merits of a change in BB height if anyone can enlighten us?

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 10:00 PM »
the supergoose had a lower bb, and fatter rear stays. maybe the pro class shared this geometry, i dont know

not sure there was ever a "uk" supergoose. just a supergoose.

Coastvl

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:55 AM »
Heres my take on these. The frame with the kickstand hole is a supergoose. The fatter rear end (yummy) and the bb drop. Also the forks are different if you look closer. The bearing race is higher on the fork/ frame without the hole.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 11:56 AM »
When i was a kid my mate had a expert and i had a supergoose and he always said how can you tell the difference between the two because they look exactly the same. And the only way you could tell was by the weight because the supergoose has chromoly frame and forks where as the expert only had chromoloy main frame. You new this by the little sticker at the top of the frame by the headset as in the photo

So the only way to find out if this is a supergoose or not is by the weight. So tomorrow im going to go and get both frames weighed and see what the results are.  If any one has a expert or cali frame then if you could weigh it also and this would give us a better idea. Also if anyone has a usa supergoose then  weigh this also, cheers :daumenhoch:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 01:28 PM »
The one with the extra holes certainly has diff geometry and fatter back tubes as already mentioned. Perhaps they changed over a year or perhaps the "UK" one is simply stickered up incorrectly.

Be interesting to see the different weights.

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 01:31 PM »
the difference in weight between a super and a cali/expert is marginal

the way to tell is: fatter rear stays, different rear end/bb geo, and the 3 holes

maybe an unscrupulous bike shop dealer stickered up an expert and sold it as a super
prior to the days of internet forums discussing tube guages, you'd be none the wiser

i think there was only one supergoose - not a uk and a us one.
the expert was full chromo and a great frame, and i think the 85 calis were full chromo too.
all good

you got 2 nice framesets there mate. steam off the supergoose stickers on the lookylikey and sell them to me :)

steve

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Were they all not made in taiwan after 1980
 :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Were they all not made in taiwan after 1980
 :LolLolLolLol:

exactly.
the taiwanese make quality bikes though. hard workers

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48 PM »
sore finger?
I want to touch ORB

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 08:22 PM »
thems nice them
ding dong

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Only pics i have of uk supergoose, which was different to usa supergoose because of spec and frams geomatry. The diffrences on the uk supergoose was it came with renthal bars not pro class. It had the smaller sr pedals not the bigger sr MP-470. I think it also came with mx 1000 brakes no just pro class mx, and the big debate the standard size frame but all chromoly Frame and Fork not the oversize tubes of the usa edition. the saddle was also different as you can see by the photo's, first the u.k edition then the usa edition

These are pics of a bike that is in the museam on Vintagebmx.com it is listed as a u.k. Supergoose

Now pics of the usa bike

Looking at those pics the rear triangle def looks thinner on the uk edition. Whether there is two holes in the brake bridge i can't tell but as i said i had a supergoose as a kid and it never had two extra holes in the brake bridge.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :idiot2: :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 10:41 PM »
looks like the same frame to me

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Well i weighed the frames this morning on proper scales used to weigh food and here are the results  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

The U.K. Supergoose Frame weight  2.370 kg

The USA Supergoose Frame weight 2.395 kg

The U.K. Supergoose Frame & Forks total weight is 3.235 kg

The USA Supurgoose Frame & Forks total weight is 3.250 kg

So the results are that the uk supergoose frame and forks are 15grams lighter than the usa version. I thought before i weighed the bikes that they would weigh the same or the usa version would be slightly lighter because of the hole in the rear where the stand was. But when you think about it the tubes on the usa bike are alot bigger than the uk bike thus meaning it is slightly heavier by 15 grams. Would love to know what a Pro Class weighed and also a Expert and Cali frame and forks.

If you read the spec for the u.k bike it reads that the Top Tube is 1.1/8inch and the Down Tube is 1.1/8inch so straight away this tells you that the frames are different because as we all know the usa version has a different size top tube and down tube. Both bikes are deffenatly made from chromoly so as far as i can see the other bike is deffenatly a uk supergoose and that the usa supergoose and the u.k supergoose are deffenatly different bikes. Why Mongoose did this i don't know because to build two different frames seems stupid but they deffenatly have. But there uk devision was seperate from them with the ammaco tie up was it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But hey at least we now know that even the uk bike is lighter than the yank version so we still kick there arse :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32 AM »
i didnt realise the supergoose had different sized top and down tubes
i will measure mine later. they look the same as my expert / cali frame though!

where are the serial numbers on your 2 gooses?

my super has the serial on the edge of the box wishbone, whereas on the cali and expert it is (iirc) on the bottom bracket

if there was a "uk supergoose", then it seems they took an expert frame and put supergoose parts and stickers on it.
another example of british consumers getting shafted compared to our US counterparts

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 11:13 AM »
i didnt realise the supergoose had different sized top and down tubes
i will measure mine later. they look the same as my expert / cali frame though!

where are the serial numbers on your 2 gooses?

my super has the serial on the edge of the box wishbone, whereas on the cali and expert it is (iirc) on the bottom bracket

if there was a "uk supergoose", then it seems they took an expert frame and put supergoose parts and stickers on it.
another example of british consumers getting shafted compared to our US counterparts

The usa is on the box section, the uk is on the BB. The u.k. supergoose frame is not he same as expert though because the supergoose has chromoly frame and forks. The only way they are the same is by the dimentions and size of the tubes used to make the frame. My guess is that the expert frame is probs a lot heavier than the supergoose. Have you got one you can weigh.

Good news though that it is lighter than the usa version, we got one over on the yanks :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain:

theRuler

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 11:20 AM »
the expert was all chromoly. well mine is.

i have both an expert and a super frame, but they are both built into bikes
although i will bet my ass that my expert weighs the same as your one.
and my expert frame was identical in every way to my cali frame.

the super however, is different. they were a teeny bit heavier because they had a fatter rear end.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 11:28 AM »
the expert was all chromoly. well mine is.

i have both an expert and a super frame, but they are both built into bikes
although i will bet my ass that my expert weighs the same as your one.
and my expert frame was identical in every way to my cali frame.

the super however, is different. they were a teeny bit heavier because they had a fatter rear end.

Yes all tubes chromoly frame, but not Frame and Forks as on the supergoose sticker. And i bet that the uk supergoose frame and forks are lighter than that expert or cali. Def lighter than one with only chromoly main frame. But saying that iv'e never seen a sticker like that on an expert or cali, they normaly just say chromoly main frame.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44 AM »
the plot thickens.

weigh it greame.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 11:46 AM »
the supergoose stickers say chromo frame and fork
i think the expert was initially shipped with steel forks, like the calis. i could be wrong.

but the frame will weigh the same as yours if yours is all chromo too.

i have never heard of a "uk" supergoose
it sounds to me like an expert with supergoose stickers though.
still a good bike. maybe in some ways better, if you prefer the slightly raised BB

if the uk mongoose people were selling what they said was a "supergoose" but was actually a lesser frame stickered up as one then that's shameful
as the supergoose frame has clear differences from the expert and cali.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Supergoose u.k Supergoose usa

gfxgfx
gfx gfx