gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 03:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  underrated brands - why?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: underrated brands - why?  (Read 9172 times)

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
underrated brands - why?
« on: January 31, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I often wonder why certain brands are looked down upon - ones that in my mind have old school roots but are never going to see the top of the BOTM podium no matter how good the spec or attention to detail....

Brands like Powerlite, Dyno, TNT, Titan and MCS come to mind, and there are others - bearing in mind that MCS still make stuff and did for many of the 'cool' companies - I just don't get it - they're rock solid by the looks of things.

For example there have been some very sexy Cycle Craft builds lately too but you won't see anyone going ape over them. Sad.

What are your thoughts?

:popcorn:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: underrated brands - why?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Cyclecraft are lovely bikes

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I tend to aim for the stuff I remember or wanted BITD, I'd never walk past a Meteorlite or Falcon Pro to get to a Gen 1 Haro.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Some brands are overlooked,why?,most of the time its fashion,but when someone doe's a good job of say a Powerlite it makes people sit up and look  ;)

Its always the same,someone doe's a belter, others want one  :)

There's many a bike thats never had a proper job done..........

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:34 PM »
some people only go for the "high end stuff" whatever the fook that is.most usa built f&f BITD were pretty similar in price.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20 PM »
A lot of lads round my way used Lander parts. Purely because we had a local stockist. They did the job. Same with Lee Chi.  :)

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I think the lesser done stuff is better , more quirky , different and when done right , look the nuts :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I have my MCS Spyder(approx. 1980) ... one of the finest made frames I possess. + a Race Inc RM2... both equally unmentioned.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00 PM »
I often wonder why certain brands are looked down upon - ones that in my mind have old school roots but are never going to see the top of the BOTM podium no matter how good the spec or attention to detail....

Brands like Powerlite, Dyno, TNT, Titan and MCS come to mind, and there are others - bearing in mind that MCS still make stuff and did for many of the 'cool' companies - I just don't get it - they're rock solid by the looks of things.
Back in the day I always found the the cheaper stuff fooked up easy. Victor beartraps, the Suntour XCII copies, always fell apart, often falling off the axles. Cheap CW bars that crushed if you showed them a stem  :D Lee Chi MX1000's that bent and snapped easy Their Tech 3 copies weren't bad though  :daumenhoch:

I have built nearly all my bikes using parts that I used back then and some with parts that are just suitable to the bike. My Kastan that I have just built was out of comfort zone and I did enjoy learning about the parts that I have used on it.

I do agree there is a lot of snobbery in building BMX's but, you wouldn't fit a Landar 1 piece crank to a Hutch would you  ???  where as I think Redline flights look out of place on a Torker LP.

I do have something that will please you coming along though  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Free beer?  :pilky:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:26 PM »
I love the unloved "low end" stuff & agree there is snobbery when it comes to parts fitted to builds,  people forget that's all the vast majority could afford bitd
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 09:46 PM »
For me it's who rode them bitd.....that's where the 'want' or snobbery came from.

Don't remember anyone being sponsored to ride with Landar number plates or lee chi brakes............

Top brand American then, the same now. Look at Dyno - it was marketed as a low range GT, and that's stayed with me now. I havent got a UK bike in my collection either - they just didnt cut it for me. I build now what I wanted then.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline Miley

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53 PM »
There's a lot of Powerlite power bars around though, possibly better thought of as the first generation stuff was Voris Dixon made. I got back into osbmx (for the second time) when I found a powerlite pro on eBay. The postage was more than the frame and forks. Great Frame,got three of them now.

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Its a tough subject this one as there will be so many people with different opinions. Im just building whatever floats my boat, Mongoose to Hutch and just how I want them. :daumenhoch:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 10:49 PM »
All the brands originally mentioned have made some great stuff,Powerlite bars are my personal faves,TNT made loadsa great frames,the stems were ace  :smitten:

Personally i love Cyclecraft stuff, they started in 84,and made Zeronines frames  :daumenhoch: ,their Fredz forks n bars are fookin lush  :smitten:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Not that long ago you could have added Torker and Redline. Now Torker not so much so...but Redline?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I don't agree at all that there is snobbery any longer.

A lot of builds over the past couple of years have been low end or street models, the kind we rode when we were young and I see nothing but praise and positive comments for these builds.

The only real 'snobbery' as such that I have seen lately are with the retro Skyway and Hutch builds and lets face it they were high end stuff bitd.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:07 AM »
Not that long ago you could have added Torker and Redline. Now Torker not so much so...but Redline?

Theres always been a love for Torkers in the North due to Alans,though I know what you mean about Redline,not loved in the main,were solid bikes BITD  :wtf:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 02:22 AM »
Main problem for Powerlite and Dyno was Seattle Bike Co who bought them as part of the GT purchase, they became pretty much low end, cheap and heavy/nasty bikes.  Prior to the purchase they were pretty good bikes, early Powerlites especially and the first gen Dyno Freestylers were awesome.  Titan made fantastic race bikes but broke a lot, MCS have always been a solid performer but nothing really outstanding, they survived by making stuff for everyone else as far as I can tell.  Torker went bust and SBC (again) bought the rights along with Redline; turned both into low end brands although Redline seems to be on the up again.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 06:27 AM »
There's a lot of Powerlite power bars around though, possibly better thought of as the first generation stuff was Voris Dixon made. I got back into osbmx (for the second time) when I found a powerlite pro on eBay. The postage was more than the frame and forks. Great Frame,got three of them now.
I have a lovely set of powerlite bars (unknurled) on my 1980 supergoose, think they are a great looking bar, another item i think is a bit understated are DK square stems, a little on the skinny side on the clamping width compared to a tuf neck but the wedge grip can't be knocked, feels more positive when tightening than the tuf neck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:32 AM by snoppy72 »

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I have a lovely set of powerlite bars (unknurled) on my 1980 supergoose, think they are a great looking bar, another item i think is a bit understated are DK square stems, a little on the skinny side on the clamping width compared to a tuf neck but the wedge grip can't be knocked, feels more positive when tightening than the tuf neck.

DK stems are the dogs  :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I don't think MRD Rickman and Curtis stuff was considered high end bitd . All the British stuff unless u had somebody like my Mother who recignised the great British  :Great_Britain: engineering and quality workmanship and influenced me 2 buy my MRD bitd  . Hence why they r sought after now .

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Two threads posted today within two minutes of each other

MCS 1 reply in 5.5 hours (probably the only one in uk, and only a couple on bmxmuseum)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,171020.msg1717716.html#new

SE 8 replies in 5.5 hours for yet another ripper (no offence meant to the owner or rippers it is a lovely bike)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,171021.0.html

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 10:11 PM »
Two threads posted today within two minutes of each other

MCS 1 reply in 5.5 hours (probably the only one in uk, and only a couple on bmxmuseum)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,171020.msg1717716.html#new

SE 8 replies in 5.5 hours for yet another ripper (no offence meant to the owner or rippers it is a lovely bike)

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,171021.0.html

One's in the Old School Race section and the others in BMX Chat - more through traffic in the Chat section. You'd get more replys in BMX Chat, but obv. better place to put it's in the OS Race.

I'm guilty of not checking any of the OS sections myself.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 10:22 PM »
not by any means have I built every bike going but the best one I ever built and the best one I rode,which would have been considered low end bitd was my titan tx turbo,so smooth  :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  underrated brands - why?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx