gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 01:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  raleigh burner restoration help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: raleigh burner restoration help  (Read 3690 times)

Offline xdelboyx

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
raleigh burner restoration help
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:40 PM »
hi guys total mood here and judging by all the tiny nuts bolts and bearings on ebay i am in too deep.

just bought a 1984 raleigh tuff brurner frame,forks,handlebars and 1 piece crank....now i am hoping someone special on here can tell me what else i am going to need down to the washers??...i know its a lot to ask but i really want to get into my bmx scene...i am already a vw camper nut and the 2 go hand in hand!

thanks everyone  :bow:

Offline simon h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: raleigh burner restoration help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Good Place to start would be on Burnerworld .

Can fill your boots on there and always for sale items to help you finish it off .

Good luck , and you won't regret it , your wallet will though  ;)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:51 PM »
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that people actually look at your nuts and bolts and judge you if you've not got the correct ones that came out the factory.

Unless you've got severe OCD, you don't need to go into that much detail when restoring, just build your bike to your own standard and to what your budget will allow, and ride and enjoy the fooker.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline simon h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that people actually look at your nuts and bolts and judge you if you've not got the correct ones that came out the factory.

Unless you've got severe OCD, you don't need to go into that much detail when restoring, just build your bike to your own standard and to what your budget will allow, and ride and enjoy the fooker.  :daumenhoch:

Do you know when the words don't quiet come out as you planned .

thats exactly what i was trying to say  :)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:36 PM »

Do you know when the words don't quiet come out as you planned .

thats exactly what i was trying to say  :)

I only know this, as I fell into that trap myself, nobody cares what inner tubes anyone has.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline xdelboyx

• Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:18 PM »
thanks guys.....problem is.....i have OCD!!! :uglystupid2:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22 PM »
youll want tubes with NOS air in them then, Ive got a set of skyways that havnt been pumped up since 1984, so the air inside totally oldschool.  I can try and catch some of this in a jar while deflating, but its gonna cost you.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22 PM »
thanks guys.....problem is.....i have OCD!!! :uglystupid2:

OCD & BMX, 2 commonly associated abbreviations.  ::)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:34 AM »
hi guys total mood here and judging by all the tiny nuts bolts and bearings on ebay i am in too deep.

just bought a 1984 raleigh tuff brurner frame,forks,handlebars and 1 piece crank....now i am hoping someone special on here can tell me what else i am going to need down to the washers??...i know its a lot to ask but i really want to get into my bmx scene...i am already a vw camper nut and the 2 go hand in hand!

thanks everyone  :bow:

Where about are you based dude? I just spotted this thread.... I have my original SuperTUFF Burner from back in the day and that is as it came out of the factory, unrestored and in survivor condition.

I used it as a template when I did my first resto, which was a Mk1 Ultra Burner as I didn't really know where to start. I bought the frame and forks off eBay already powder coated black and with the correct sticker set already on it.... I thought I could easily buy everything else needed and it would be a doddle... WRONG! In the end though, to get all of the correct parts I ended up buying another (complete but) real beater of an Ultra off eBay for peanuts and gradually stripping bits off it, getting them refurbished, noting where they went and then putting it all back together again on my new spangly frame. I still have the old beater frame hanging up on my wall in the garage. It was a great way to learn and definitely worked out a lot cheaper than sourcing all of the correct components individually.....

I guess it depends on how true to the original bike you want your build to be? As has already been mentioned, the guys on Burnerworld will be glad to help; padsets and decals are readily available and you can find the catalogue specs for each year online quite easily. I have a scan of the 84 specs here so i'll post it up in case it is of use.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Scan of the 1984 Raleigh Catalogue specs.

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline xdelboyx

• Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 08:53 PM »
wow thanks dude...stunning bike :D

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 07:03 PM »
When you are confused post some pics and we can steer you in the correct direction

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  raleigh burner restoration help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx