gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 04:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Vintage BMX pre - 1980  |  Vintage Bikes  |  Schwinn Stingray dating??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Schwinn Stingray dating??  (Read 7449 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Schwinn Stingray dating??
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Is anybody able to date this? I've had it stored above my garage for years.....

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Schwinn Stingray dating??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Look on the headtube and on the left hand side you will find a serial number, decipher as follows:

The first "letter" is the month, the second "letter" is the year.
The letters "I" and "O" are skipped to avoid confusion with the numbers "1" and "0" 

Examples:
AF***** = Jan. 1970,..... ("A" = Jan., "F" = 1970)
BF***** = Feb. 1970,..... ("B" = Feb, "F" = 1970)
GL***** = July. 1975,..... ("G" = July., "L" = 1975)
MR***** = Dec. 1980,..... ("M" = Dec., "R" = 1980), etc.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Thanks for the info matey.... only just spotted your reply  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Love it  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:55 AM »
Stings are super cool, need to see loads more over here.
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49 AM »
would love one

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I got this from the States and I hand-carried it back when visiting somebody over there years ago, but have not done anything with it until now. Cost me a hearty 16pounds 62p on eBay as I was the only bidder! Tbh it was sold as a 'pre '72' and I did have a quick nose for a serial number before i left (am away from home working at the mo) and i didn't actually see anything on the head tube, athough i could have missed it in my haste. A little light reading the other night tells me the older frames had stampings on the rear drop outs so i will check there too when i get home....

Looks pretty cool though - absolutely no idea how i'm going to build it but it should be entertaining  :daumenhoch:

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Your absolutely spoilt for choice when it comes to building that  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I got this from the States and I hand-carried it back when visiting somebody over there years ago, but have not done anything with it until now. Cost me a hearty 16pounds 62p on eBay as I was the only bidder! Tbh it was sold as a 'pre '72' and I did have a quick nose for a serial number before i left (am away from home working at the mo) and i didn't actually see anything on the head tube, athough i could have missed it in my haste. A little light reading the other night tells me the older frames had stampings on the rear drop outs so i will check there too when i get home....

Looks pretty cool though - absolutely no idea how i'm going to build it but it should be entertaining  :daumenhoch:
Why are the forks sticking through the headstock so much ?
I would build it with parts to match the forks, i.e a stamped ashtabula one piece crank and goose neck stem also stamped ashtabula, scwhinn/mongoose stlye unstamped seat clamp, union ratraps, messiger quilted seat, a set of lesters or motomags with coaster brake, box bars flaired in the centre to take the goose neck stem, unstamped mongoose/tange / schwinn style bb 28tpi, 2.125  knobbly tyres of the era.
Have all the ashtabula parts the cast black/ matt effect, black bars, the frame a colour of your choice and fit the original decal kit :daumenhoch:
Can't wait to see it , get cracking :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:19 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Why are the forks sticking through the headstock so much ?
I would build it with parts to match the forks, i.e a stamped ashtabula one piece crank and goose neck stem also stamped ashtabula, scwhinn/mongoose stlye unstamped seat clamp, union ratraps, messiger quilted seat, a set of lesters or motomags with coaster brake, box bars flaired in the centre to take the goose neck stem, unstamped mongoose/tange / schwinn style bb 28tpi, 2.125  knobbly tyres of the era.
Have all the ashtabula parts the cast black/ matt effect, black bars, the frame a colour of your choice and fit the original decal kit :daumenhoch:
Can't wait to see it , get cracking :LolLolLolLol:

Yeah, I had been wondering the same thing about the forks! They are just the ones that came with it so i am going to have to investigate that when the time comes. Sounds like you have a pretty close idea of how the build should go!! I've already got the goose neck stem, and I was considering using my MX-60's on it as i've kind of been holding on to them in the hope of one day finding something suitable to mount them on. I would LOVE some Motomags too though....  :smitten:

Got a minty pair of Lesters too so i'll probably try both sets and see which i prefer. Both have coasters.

I will have to have a nose though my stash of bits as I am pretty certain I started buying parts for this at the time although it is so long ago I can't really recall what i bought  :-\ Pretty sure i have the one piece crank and Schwinn chainring mentioned above and also some knobbly Kenda tyres. I will be building this for the missus so the padded Messinger seat sounds like a good plan (she moans about my other bikes not being 'female-friendly'!) I was considering getting the guys that did her car to paint the frame the same baby-blue colour (it's actually called Smoke Grey) but then with the MX-60's it will start to look like it is in Gulf livery  :-\ Could work I suppose.... would certainly go down well at the car shows we attend with the Mini anyway  :daumenhoch:

There are some amazing builds on the BMXMuseum if you look at the older Schwinn section. Inspiring stuff. Looking at parts on the Bay it should be a bit of a budget build too. Makes a nice change!

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Lesters  :daumenhoch: The missus will love a banana seat with support arms and it will look slightly more girly,  just a rear coaster only though :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:06 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Haha... yeah i meant both sets of wheels have the rear coaster intact.

The Lesters i have look unused - that pic was from the eBay sale.

I'm just sifting through some banana seats on the Bay right now in fact... some lovely original and slightly worn ones which i personally LOVE.

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42 AM »
I would have the frame done in smoke grey, use the lesters and have them stripped and done in black with polished edges
Also get the banana seat covered in white to match the roof of the mini, this will all go nicely with the mini, at least if you strip the wheels you know they are like new underneath, It won't look right with red wheels and smoke grey frame.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:01 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Schwinn Stingrays are great fun to build

This is mine.....

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Schwinn Stingrays are great fun to build

This is mine.....

That's the seat/ colour you need,
 make sure the bars and seat supports are in chrome, also the bars want to be box style without a crossbar for the missus comfy but still sporty :smitten: there is a black 1974 schwinn stingray deluxe on the museum with red wheels, they are the bars you want.I can't copy and paste the pic for some reason.
 stidd's 1970 bike is in race trim , very nicely done.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:25 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for all the posts and information guys.... I've already had a good look at that bike ^^^ on here. Awesome.  :daumenhoch:

Lots of build options by the looks of it. What's the story with the Derailleur - which models had that? Are the rear dropouts wider on some models then?

There are some quite cool looking tall bars that i have seen on a few builds (no idea what they are called). I know if I ask her what she wants it will be the total opposite of whatI think will look good, so i might just not ask  :2funny:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 11:37 AM »
The factory bikes had a three arrows twin front ring and 2 speed front derailleur with a Shimano rear tensioner (it attaches to the rear axle and drop out).

I had real fun trying to source those parts I can tell you  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Don't ask  :LolLolLolLol: just do it, she'll be happy with the end result  :daumenhoch: all the frames are the same , it's probably just an adapter, with a normal cog on the rear, it's only the front that changes the gearing, if you fit more sprockets to the rear you can get away with dishing the wheel over, I once built a 10 speed grifter using araya 7x rims with shimano hubs , the sprocket side was nearly straight on the angle of the spokes compaired to the non sprocket side when i dished it right over, a grifter with a 52 tooth sprocket on the front :daumenhoch: that was a fast bike downhill
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:47 AM by snoopy72 »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 11:59 AM »
I have a set of mini ape bars that may be of use to you on your build.

I will take a picture and see what you think.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Yes, i think i see the 1974 example on the Museum.... Webco wheels?? Looks awesome.

I'll have a look at those bars please stidds. Thank you.

I think she'll like a banana seat and sissy bar somehow....

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Here you go.

They are from an old motorbike of mine, I don't want anything for them, if you can use them, chop or modify them etc then they are yours.

Just cover postage.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 01:29 PM »
For parts such as sissy bars and banana seats etc etc go here....

http://ridelow.co.uk/bike-parts-accessories

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Wow! Lovely and unusual bars!

PM sent mate.

Many thanks :)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Well not much progress with this, as you can tell. I have been working on 'other projects' recently, hence the pregnant wife  :daumenhoch:

But, the frame went off to the same company that sprayed the Mini about a month ago (i'm away working again so not able to collect it so said no rush). It is going to be smoke grey to match the car and I am going to use the orange Dale Enterprise MX-60's. I keep on seeing Gulf livery in my head when i picture how it will eventually look.

Stidds was an absolute legend and sent me those bars shown further up in the thread so I will somehow make those fit, I have an early Schwinn chainring/1-piece crank, but still no joy with the banana seat. Not really looked at this point though.

I just want to see how the frame looks and do a bit of a mock up first before i pick the rest of the parts for it.

What would be the correct decals for a pre-72 then fellas?

Also - literally years ago i bought some all black Kenda tyres for this build... not really knowing what i was buying tbh. What would be period correct-ish? I'd like to just make it up as i go really as i'm not fussed about being too anal with this one - just want it to look cool. I found this pic yesterday, which has massively sparked my interest in this build again  :smitten:

I LOVE the white tyres.....! Hmmmm......

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:24 PM by dinglem »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Schwinn Stingray build....
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Aww.... maaaaan... this thing just oozes soul! Perfect match for the Old English Cream car roof, kinda.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Vintage BMX pre - 1980  |  Vintage Bikes  |  Schwinn Stingray dating??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx