gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  MK Ramps - the back story
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MK Ramps - the back story  (Read 2934 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
MK Ramps - the back story
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Some of you will know this already but I suspect a lot of you won't. I've told the story a few times over the weekend but I'll push it out once more to hopefully reach as many members as possible.

I started Radii Skatepark Repairs in early 2011 with nothing. I cobbled together a toolkit and went out after the work, cold calling councils and basically creating the marketplace I now work within. In late 2011 I was asked by an ex girlfriend to do some work on her new house and also a couple of repairs to her VW camper (I'm ex motor trade). During the 20 minutes I was in the house measuring up my van was broken into and everything was stolen; my ramp building kit and my full Snap On toolkit I'd spent a lifetime collecting.

And that was that. No tool insurance, no savings and no wealthy friends/benefactors who were prepared to help me.

After a whole host of personal shit that had happened during the previous couple of years and the drama that was/is my right knee basically I was done. Finished. I must have been an absolute muggy c**t in a former life and karma was kicking me in the bollocks one final time.

Then, without telling me anything about it, Stodgy took it upon himself to rally the troupes and this forum presented me with a sum of money big enough for me to replace my basic necessities and get to my next job.

Without you lot, Christ knows where I might have ended up, I really was at the end of the road. Instead, Radii has grown into a solid little firm with a bright future.

So the 10th anniversary of MK rolls around and there is talk of ramps. The forum put up some money and 
I decided that now was the time to say a proper thank you so I matched that sum and got building. I'm pleased to say that everyone seemed happy with the setup this weekend and most people were surprised to see so much kit - especially the big quarter.

So once again - from the bottom of my heart - thank you all for restoring a little of my faith in humanity back in 2011 and making it possible for me to do the job I do.

By the way, I already have the design in my head for MK15........   :D

griff

Re: MK Ramps - the back story
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:50 PM »
 :4_17_5:

hats off to you Rob, the ramps were ace
I hope Rodeo(?) Ramps has much success and look forward to seeing what you pull out of the bag for MK15

I might even pull more than a couple of kickturns next time  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Great ending to the story Rob, in glad things have worked out for you.

Thanks for supplying and building the ramps for MK, if people didnt tell you to your face how much they appreciated your effort, then I'll pass it on, on their behalf because all I got througout the weekend was how much they loved the ramps.

Top job to yourself, Bru and team.

See you @ MK15  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:52 AM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:51 AM »
great to see you rob and ramps were great and loved the quarter on my trickstar , might have to change the tyres mind as they were bald lol
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline splodge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Great chatting to you Rob & the quarter was one of the best ive ridden, just nice size & solid, really made my weekend mate, thank you. 

Best of all I dont think anyone hurt themselves & we all walked away. Riding all day Saturday will be something i remember for a long time!   :bow:

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02 AM »
The ramps looked the bollox Rob, appreciate the time and effort. I didn't even know there was going to be ramps until the last minute, if I hadn't killed myself with drink, I was gonna have a go on Sunday, I'll never learn. If you do MK with that qaurter next year, I'm going to plan my weekend mainly riding ramps, and if you need a hand pulling them down, I can lend a hand, that's a lot of work for a weekend.Amazing Effort Rob, Thankyou.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Yeah well done Rob, top effort  :daumenhoch:

Loved riding them on the Haro Sport bash i've just built up, it aired real nice, could do with better brake blocks and pegs for next year 8)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Great ramps Rob, was good to catch up with you again  :smitten:

Offline Oldboyburner

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 11:56 AM »
My son was stoked to see the ramp set up as we came round the corner on sat morning top job matey and great story
A big big thank you from ryanunitedbmx on instagram made his weekend

From OBB

HE SAID IF ITS NOT CHEEKY CAN HE HAVE A JUMP BOX NEXT YEAR PLEASE  :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:
OBB

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Hey Rob,
Great to hear about your venture, and to see the ramp set up at MK14. Gutted I couldn't be there, but this year has been my first year out of the BMX trade and it's been a fun liberating experience. Next year I plan on visiting events agin as a punter that I have missed. MK being one of them.  I'm planning to come to MK next year, for me if ramps are there it'll make it a must, hope you can do the same again!
Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:05 AM by generallee »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:41 PM »
Hi Steve.

Glad to hear you've been doing ok and having fun.

MK was cool this year, not that I have much to compare it to - I've only been to two others....

The ramps were well received, I will definitely be speaking to the RAD illuminati about 2015 :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Its the worst kind of kick in the bollox when your tools go! Thank Fook I had changed trades when mine went! Rob, your one of life's good guys, and I wish you a very successful future!
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:52 AM »

The quarter looked lush rob, if we had somewhere to store it we would have had it off you..... And the spine.
Your a lucky chap rob to have Bru, one ugly human being but a pukka tradesman.
All the best in the future

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Pete, the quarter rode superb mate, you missed out not riding it  :coolsmiley:

Rob, I said my thanks on the day but your ramps make MK14 very special as I rode with my mates all day until we all couldn't ride any more, quite literally. My hands ached for days afterwards but my grin lasted longer, so many thanks for that. But the icing on the cake was your riding advice about getting over that spine and conbined with the abuse I was getting from the rest of the usual suspects (standard operating procedure to encourage each other) I finally nailed it.

So thanks for the ramps and thanks for the advic - I hope you can make it next year and for as many years as us oldies can still have a go at riding :4_17_5:
Still limping......

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Gorgeous ramps. Look so solid and correct dimensions. So many 'ramp builders' get it so wrong near the vert or coping sticking out or curvature all wrong. You should make these to sell on eBay mate. I'd have to move house to get one tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30 PM »
the ramps looks awsum Rob. what a great story and kind gesture both ways . thanks for the ramps at M.K.  :4_17_5:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Great chatting to you Rob & the quarter was one of the best ive ridden, just nice size & solid, really made my weekend mate, thank you. 

Best of all I dont think anyone hurt themselves & we all walked away. Riding all day Saturday will be something i remember for a long time!   :bow:

the crowd were sure they would see some bloody but no one obliged  ;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Gorgeous ramps. Look so solid and correct dimensions. So many 'ramp builders' get it so wrong near the vert or coping sticking out or curvature all wrong. You should make these to sell on eBay mate. I'd have to move house to get one tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate.

The problem with ramps on Ebay is what you're competing against - I mean we all know the stuff on there is dreadful, but it appears cheap & good value and not everyone can appreciate the difference in plywood qualities and just the sheer volume of timber that is supposed to be under a ramp.

On the other hand, I have a grind rail for sale on there now which is cheap as chips - £110 for an 8ft long, nearly 2ft high rail and it's not had a single decent bid or indeed even a serious enquiry.

'Tis a funny place, Ebay.  Not that I have to tell you lot that   :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  MK Ramps - the back story

gfxgfx
gfx gfx