gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  Interviews (NEW!)  |  Stu Thomsen
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stu Thomsen  (Read 2553 times)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Stu Thomsen
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:08 AM »
[size=60]
STU THOMSEN[/size]

1. You turned Pro at 16 Stu....who were the other guys who were shaping the sport with you at this time ?

I'll speak of the local Southern California riders that i rode with, Perry Kramer, John George, Neil Bonds, John Palframan, Thom Lund, Bobby Watts, Marvin Church, Bobby Encinitas, Billy Wouda, Robbie O'Hare, Billy Mcintyre, Dave Clinton, and they are also others who have slipped my mind. We were all the shit back then.

2. 1974 Stu, you won the Yamaha Bicycle cup in California, the first prize was a new Yamaha Motorbike, can you remember what happened to the Bike Stu ?. What did racing your bmx for a prize like that mean to you at the time ?

The prize itself was just a bike, it wasn't anything cool to me at that time. I sold one back to the Yamaha shop and kept the other one. I chopped it up pretty good trying to make some long travel full suspension bike out of it. I believe after it broke for the fifth time i ended up just throwing it away. But the race itself was like no other race i or any other BMXr back then had ever been to.

3. Forward to 1987 Stu and your reported "forced" retirement, were you ready for that kind of ending to your superb career in bmx or did the new scene in MTB soften the blow for you at the time ?

It wasnt so much a forced retirement than i had my run and it was time to move on. Being a cyclist i liked all types of riding. I had been riding road and MTB long before i quit bmx racing. I just wanted to explore other options. After Huffy had pulled the plug on the team BMX and the cycling industry as a whole was down.
I shopped around a bit but those who i spoke with figured they couldn't afford to sign me to a lengthy contract because of the downturn in the industry. I had a good run and it was time for someone else to enjoy the spotlight for a while. I had my bike shop to run and soon to be newborn son to raise.

4. You followed Scot from FMF to Scot's new racing SE Racing team Stu, how much input did you have in the early days of the Iconic bmx brand and what was your thoughts on the STR1, the bike that was meant to be Stu Thomsen's signature ride ?

All in all it was Scot's Design and bike. He and i were close to size and he built the bike around us. I kinda just rode whatever bike was thrown at me. I was paid to ride and that's what i did, he would some times show me drawings and ask me what i thought from time to time. Scot was always going Mach one, and always had some other new idea on the back burner.

5. You left Redline for Huffy in 1984 Stu, for reasons that are well documented, is this the point were BMX Racing became a serious monetary prospect for Stompin Stu and did this affect the way you prepared for race time ?. 

The move to Huffy was a bold move for me. The monies were there for sure. I wanted to take BMX main stream, this was Huffy's second attempt at a team with the guidance of Bob Hadley and the goals laid out were reachable. We weren't looking to take over GT or Redline but bring BMX back to the grass roots. For the kid that may never race  but wanted a bike to look the part. These bikes were not made to go toe to toe with Mongoose and the like. I use an analogy of NASCAR vehicle, you cant buy one, but you can buy a Chevrolet, Dodge, or Ford to support them.

6. Can you tell the readers what the Bercy races were like Stu, how did the event rate in your calendar and did you realize at the time how iconic these races would become over here in Europe ? 

Bercy was like Wow, the fan base in other countries was unbelievable. I guess i can understand European countries only see the Us Pro's through the bmx publications. Bmx becoming more popular and dealerships are thriving overseas, lets invite the top Us Pro's and stack them up against their top riders. Bercy was a awesome experience and one i will never forget.

7. How does the resurgence in everything OS BMX play a part in the life of Stu Thomsen in 2011 if any ? 

Os is a great way to preserve the History of the sport, im sure there are quite a few racers out there that have no idea were BMX came from. These collectors have their place in the sport. Show and Tell.

8. Your 70/80s career was arguably the best out of all the old school legends Stu, Is it possible you can tell us of some of the stand out highlights and did you achieve everything you wanted to in the sport ?.

In BMX i ran my course, there is no denying i wish i could have squeezed out a couple of more years but for me it was my time. I have no regrets, but i do wish i would have had the opportunity to dabble with track racing. Man, they are just to many good times to pick out one. I would say back then, any day out on a bike was a great day. I had great times traveling the World, spreading the word of BMX.

9. How long ago did you last bang bars with Greg Hill Stu, and at family get together's who wins in the bragging stakes ?.

Its probably been 20 plus years since we've raced against each other. We both have our own bragging rights. For many years we raced each other, but in the end we were on different curves in our paths as great racers. We have both left marks in our sport that may never be matched.

10. You still ride hard Stu, can you tell the members a little bit about your more recent two wheeled challenges !

I compete in local road and MTB races, go on the road and MTB club rides. Im part of the Sheriff's Departments bike team. I have raced countless Police and Fire Games with over 15 Gold medals in the MTB category. Ride every year from Sacramento to Santa Ana California (580 miles) to raise money for the families of peace officers who have been critically injured or killed in the line of Duty. Try to make it to at least one BMX national a year, sometimes more. I promote Bmx and Cycling and still make guest appearances at cycling functions across the country. One goal this year is to finish the Epic MTB race Leadville 100. Its a 100 mile MTB race in Colorado. Rent or Buy the DVD Race against the sky to see this Epic ride.

11. What was it like having the Factory Redline race team behind you in the 80s Stu ?.

Redline was the leading edge BMX race team of that time. Lynn Kasten was instrumental in advancing BMX products to the next level. It was a Honor to ride for him, they truly were one of my best sponsors. Thats when BMX became a business for me, and Lynn saw that in me and helped me grow in more ways than just a racer.

12. A bit of personal information here Stu, what gets you out of bed in the morning these days aside from bikes ?.

The Alarm Clock mostly. Other than that its thriving to to live the best and healthiest life i possibly can. My wife Tanya, and my son, Jacob are the two main reasons for me getting out of bed int he morning.

13. In 1985 you raced in the finals od the Kellog's Stu, a young Brit rider called Geth Shooter surprised everyone but himself that day to take the main. How did you US guys view racing abroad in them days ?

It was almost like racing stateside in any given national. Same players were always in the mix. When traveling though you never know what to expect from the local fast guy. And Geth Proved that, at the time though it was all fun, win, lose, draw. Thats what makes great memories.

14. You were successful all through the prime BMX era, who else apart from (Stu Thomsen) had it all as a racer in the 80s Golden era ? 

Greg Hill, he has been at it like forever. Did not leave the sport, has always been there and still is. Ohh and Eric Rupe too,  BMXrs for life they are.

15. So all that's left from the Rewind team is to say thanks for taking the time to do this Member interview and is there anything you would like to add that has not been covered ?

I have left out a lot im sure, another interview for another day.
Thanks and God Bless to you and your members.

Stu.

P.S buy an extra copy or two of my DVD Stompin Stu.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  Interviews (NEW!)  |  Stu Thomsen

gfxgfx
gfx gfx