gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  Interviews (NEW!)  |  Eddie Fiola
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Eddie Fiola  (Read 3467 times)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Eddie Fiola
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:10 AM »
[size=80]EDDIE FIOLA[/size]

1. Hello Eddie, thanks for the chance to look into the world of freestyle bmx and Eddie Fiola. With the OS scene growing at the rate it is, and also the interest in the 80s riders, has this affected your current lifestyle, and if so in what way ?

It makes me realize what type of an impact I had put on people. 

2. Eddie, You were well known in the Lakewood area as a Skatepark Curbdog, how did your first contract with Torker change things ?

Contact with Torker actually made it easier to ride.  It alleviated the worry about breaking bikes  It opened up the freedom to try new things.

3. Tell us about your early friendship with Bob Morales Eddie, and did you both understand at the time how you would change bmx forever ?

I met Bob at Lakewood skatepark.  He looked like Bob Haro with the hair.  He was rolling into pools before I was.  At that point in time I didn't have a license, He actually gave me rides to some of the other skateparks.  And we became great friends.
As for changing BMX forever, we never thought of that back then.  We were just in int to ride.

4. Eddie, in the first drafts of the GT Performer, how much influence did you have in the design and the finish of the Iconic freestyle bike ?

It was my complete design.  From start to finish.  I thought about the concept of a typical BMX race frame and made the changes that both looked cool and improved my functionality as a freestyle rider.  Gary Turner said it would break related to the changes and curves to the frame.  I tested it and worked great.
The rest is history.

5. It is rumored by 1985 you freestyle guys were earning far more than the race guys Eddie, did that cause any friction at the time, or did freestyle and race move in different circles ?

We did move in different circles.  i don't recall any conflict during that time, but then again I don't remember discussing salaries with anyone either.  As far as I know there was no friction.

6. Your relationship with bmx is still very strong, do you get a proud sense of achievement when you look at bmx in the x-games and dew tours ?

I am very proud of what BMX has become today.  I would have loved to have been born about 10 years later only because of the progression of the sport.   Sometimes I think if I had come into it later (and younger) would I have competed in the X-Games, had a cool video game, been pulling tail-whip backflip no handers

7. With your ongoing work in the movies now Eddie, has it been the case of you living the dream, or has there been tuff times as well along the way ?

It is definitely living a dream.  I knew I could get paid to ride my bike, I never thought I would get paid to fall off of it.  There are always the occasional issues that come up in the movie industry.  I don't think it's much different for any profession.

8. Has there been a greatest freestyler of all time Eddie, or do you think the sport evolves and moves at such a fast pace that to pin the title on anyone is almost impossible ?

I think the title of Greatest Freestyler of all Time should be someone who does it all.  To me that means riders like Dennis McCoy, Ron Wilkerson, Rick Moloturno (?).  There are other riders that are great and will always be thought of as some of the best at what they do: Mat Hoffman, Dave Mirra, Jay Miron.

9. In 1985 Eddie, you embarked on the GT Freestyle world tour, was this a life changing event for you at 21 and if so can you give us an insight into why ?

I didn't think of it as a lifechangiing event.  It was more places to ride.  Tour was traveling from city to city, country to country, riding in a new place each day.  We ate, traveled, rode, ate and then on to the next locale.  As long as I was riding it was good.  Would have loved a digital camera back then.  There was not enough time to sight see some of the great places we traveled.  It would have been great to see some of the iconic places through Europe.  We saw the local bikes shops, storefronts, and back alleys.  It was sure no rock star tour.  But fun and lots of memories.

10. Can you give us an idea into what you believe caused the bubble to burst around bmx in 87/88, and was it a Generation thing ?

Just my opinion;  I think the anarchist style that skateboarders started to bring into it pushed the sport towards a less acceptable activity.  The no helmet, no uniform, disregard of public property had a negative effect.  Why would parents want their kids associated with a sport that seemed to promote rebellious action and disrespect?  When I rode, we looked like a team, worked as a team, choreographed routines, music without profanity...  There is a time and a place for everything.  Of course now adays, those kids are the parents today.   

11. After all the accolades and trophies, after all the movies and events Eddie, is there a memory that stands out more than any other (bmx or none bmx) that you would like to share with us ?

Meeting my wife and having our child.  King of the Skatepark competitions, Nora Cups, the movie RAD, being inducted into ABA Hall of Fame as one of the first freestylers in 2009.

12. How did the Citicat deal come around Eddie, and was it a simple case of Money and the writing on the wall for bmx, or was the deal at the time a new challenge ?

The money definitely contributed.  That would probably be my "do-over".

13. Who were your idols as a kid Eddie, who had their faces on Fiola's bedroom wall back in the day ?

Stu Thompson, Harry Larry, Greg Grubbs, Toby Henderson, Timmy Judge, Eddy King,Bob Haro, Bob Hannah, Johnny O'mara, David Bailey.

14. Considering you and the Haro brand would have seemed like a match made in heaven Eddie, how come in 1982/3 you leave Haro to sign with Kuwahara, a brand that would not embrace freestyle for at least another two years ?

At that time with Haro it was like pulling teeth to get a bike.  With Kuwahara "everything bicycles".  I could take a cart through the warehouse and get anything I needed. 

15. Well thanks for your time in the BMXREWIND Spotlight Eddie, is there a question you have not been asked or anything else you would like to share with us ?

Someone recently wrote on my Facebook page that they saw me at the food court at InterBike in Vegas.  He didn't come talk to me.....Just wanted to let people know I am just a guy that rode a bike.  I was in the right place at the right time with the right amount of talent.  I don't bite.  Anytime, anyplace I love to talk about  BMX.

(ed note: We certainly didnt find Eddie hard to talk to, and have found out through this that Eddie does love to talk bmx)

Shameless plug:  I have come up with several t-shirt designs and will be selling them through "The Bicycle Source" website and new location in Anaheim, California opening soon.  E.F.

Offline miggsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Eddie Fiola
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:36 PM »
 8)
Ray if someone asks you if your'e a god you say YES

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing and uploadig all this stuff!!
It's very much appreciated fella!
After Bob , Eddie was the coolest cat out there!  :crazy2:  :smitten:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Mat

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Eddie was the coolest cat around.

& for all you fools who don't like wheel discs-

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Eddie was way cooler than Bob. Brought freestyle to the masses. Had character something Bob never really had.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Seeing Fiola at Rad City '84 or '85(?) was as revolutionary as seeing Bob at NEC. He brought cheek and style to the Free....style.

From iThing Apple Alien Tech on Tapatalk

rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Wish I'd have got to see him BITD.

Good read that.

Offline Chapperz

• Curb Endo
  • Always too slow on the dib dobs!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Wish I'd have got to see him BITD.

Good read that.

You should talk nicely to Swan Guy ;)
Cleethorpes Old School Ride Out 2018. 14th July 2018

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Great read this.  :)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Eddie's a dude... looking forward to seeing him in Cleethorpes this summer.   :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  Interviews (NEW!)  |  Eddie Fiola

gfxgfx
gfx gfx