gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 07:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Solihull Pump Track Project
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Solihull Pump Track Project  (Read 6357 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Solihull Pump Track Project
« on: October 31, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Myself and some guys from Redditch BMX track are trying to organise the development of a very sad looking pump track that sits in Jubilee park in Olton.  I attended a meeting with the council yesterday and the feed back was very positive given that the track already exisits.  We are now looking at ways to raise funds in the hope that the council will match whatever we come up with.  We are right at the beginning of this journey but I will keep you up to date with progress as it occurs.  We have been in touch with Clark and Kent already and a representative will be coming to meet me at the site in order to measure up and provide us with options and costing.

In order to show as much support as possible could you all please join this facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489509248003006/

Nice one in advance.  Fingers crosse  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline oldskoolg60

• Curb Endo
  • Treat everyone exactly how you wish to be treated
    • Pendle bmx /pump track project
  • Rated:
Re: Solihull Pump Track Project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28 PM »
We are at a similar stage with our project albeit the council havent been down yet to meet up with us, Id be glad to support you , however would you return the favour by liking our page, I'm trying to get it up to 500 likes before the council meeting. Many thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/PendleBMX
I try my best to improve my life everyday. Sometimes I slip.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Excellent stuff.  Like the page for you bud.

We're lucky in repsect that there is an oval shaped bit of dirt that has already been classified as a "BMX track".  Therefore the land and red tape part of the process is done.  Now it just needs actually turning into a track.  I went to the meeting trying to puch a full sized track.  Whilst they didn't say know and used the term "nothing is off the table".  They did suggest developing this pump track first in order to show that its a facility that would be used and needed.  I'm hoping that once this track is up and running we can push for something bigger  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldskoolg60

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Excellent stuff.  Like the page for you bud.

We're lucky in repsect that there is an oval shaped bit of dirt that has already been classified as a "BMX track".  Therefore the land and red tape part of the process is done.  Now it just needs actually turning into a track.  I went to the meeting trying to puch a full sized track.  Whilst they didn't say know and used the term "nothing is off the table".  They did suggest developing this pump track first in order to show that its a facility that would be used and needed.  I'm hoping that once this track is up and running we can push for something bigger  :daumenhoch:

As they say "You build it, they will come" All the best with this mate, I hope you get it refurbished and it goes onto bigger and better things. Ive seen kids riding about through towns and being told off for making crude ramps on bits of wasteland, tehn getting told off. what are tehy supposed to do if theres nowhere for them to play? Anyway keep us informed.  :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Happy memories of ramp building in Knowle circa '81-82.
We used to tear up my mums lawn then.

Sooooo

How's the Solihull track going?

From iThing Apple Alien Tech on Tapatalk

Offline antiquebmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I lived in Olton for many years as a kid and throught my bmxing in the 80s, good luck with this.

I went to Langley school and rode around Gospel park (fox hollies), Hobs Moat Woods, as well as some others, of course Birmingham wheels

I dont do facebook but hope you get this going

:daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:07 PM by antiquebmx »

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I went down to the site today to have a look and pace it out.  When I got back I'd recieved a reply from the council representative.........

"Hi Simon,
Thank you for getting back in touch with us following our consultation event last week.  It is great to hear that you would like to work with us to take this project forward.  I have measured the area within Olton Jubilee Park where the current facility is (see map below) and it is approximately 30m x 55m.  When the current track was installed we planted some silver birch trees to provide a bit of screening and act as a barrier at the request of some residents in Lyndon Road so we would not be able to put anything closer to these properties. Hopefully this area would be large enough for the improvements you would like?  Please let me know if you would like any further help from us at this stage?  I am of course be happy to meet you on site to discuss your proposal in more detail if this would be useful and I would be grateful if you could keep us up to date with any progress on the project.
Kind regards,
Emma"

This is great stuff as we now have a plot and dimensions with which to get some quotes from the track builders.  I'll keep you all updated as it goes.  Once we've got an idea of price the plan is to put a committee together and try and raise some funds.

Offline oldskoolg60

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Good news guys!

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 11:41 PM »
Superb!

Some time ago there was a 'consultation' on a track project near Southend airport. They posted a tiny ad in one paper and the flyers were just around the park where all the dog owners take theirs for a shit. Needless to say it never got off the ground despite my desperate attempts to meet the council and discuss. There was enough room for a track and a skatepark. At the time council were banging on about how great they were having built the Olympic MTB racetrack.
I suggested Southend could become a centre of cycling excellence if proposed track and additional skatepark were built. They replied they wanted to build track of clay earth. I said you wot? Went downhill from there. fookwits.

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 11:51 PM »
I lived in Olton for many years as a kid and throught my bmxing in the 80s, good luck with this.

I went to Langley school and rode around Gospel park (fox hollies), Hobs Moat Woods, as well as some others, of course Birmingham wheels

I dont do facebook but hope you get this going

:daumenhoch:
Bloody hell,I'm from acocks green mate and used to ride all those, by gospel park I'm assuming that's pool farm park?
used to do the scrambling course at Gilbertstone park too  :4_17_5:
all the best with the pump track, I used go up jubilee park when I was a kid :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 11:59 PM »
I went to Arden School in Knowle. Only sorta slightly remember the jubilee park name tho. We generally hung out on Broomfield drive estate wrecking my lawn and went to Redditch and Birmingham wheels. Left to go back to ESSEX early '83. Partly wished we'd stayed cos the school was good but as parents had divorced me mam wanted to go home. Still. I'd never change it. ROM, rad city BMX and Rayleigh grove road BMX track beckoned! Good times. 😎

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Further update on this project.  We've made another facebook page as the original didn't show the number of people that had joined.  So if you haven't already please get on and add your support

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Solihull-BMX-Pump-Track/1661350290758513

As you can see from the page we've had designs and a quote submitted from Clark and Kent.  Today me and another chap met with some guys from Maxtrax at the site and they will also be submitting designs and a quote by the end of next week.  I've e-mailed the contact at the council to arrange a meeting to discuss available funding.  Things are getting pretty exciting.   :daumenhoch:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Another design submitted from Maxtrax for this project.  I think this one looks amazing.  I will be having another meeting with the council in the coming weeks and they are already looking at potential funding streams. 

Offline oldskoolg60

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Looks good mate!  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Solihull Pump Track Project

gfxgfx
gfx gfx