gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 12:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  whats the missing part called
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: whats the missing part called  (Read 839 times)

Offline Ba5h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
whats the missing part called
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Can anyone name the doofer I am missing and where I could get one  :(
The part i am missing has been replaced with a v brake noodle which doest work very well
Bmx on a budget

Offline watchmechromejob

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: whats the missing part called
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:00 PM »
think its a straddle cable but you need a support for the cable too, this set up is generally not used on the front,
except on older mtb.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:17 PM »
You are missing a straddle cable and a cable hanger.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Straddle cables on the front are for canti brake, not AD's - Ben's got a fookin ace setup on his Dirtbike known as 'Pitch-faux's'. Ba5h's brakes a front brake rooted through the steerer  :daumenhoch:

You're missing the adjuster assembly that appears on later versions of the FS990 - for a front brake to work real well ideally where you anchor the cable as well needs to be able to rotate a bit. You could use an Oddy Evo II adpator:

http://www.sibotbmxshop.com/brake-spares/4934-odyssey-bmx-evo2-brake-accessorie.html

But can't guarantee it'd fit into the recess on your brake. Personally looking at the brake I'd just sponk £12 on a new setup :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:25 PM »
You are missing a straddle cable and a cable hanger.

Looks like it is a front brake set up with a Potts mod bolt. No where to fit a cable and hanger.
Don't think anything is really missing. If it's not working that great I would suggest a new cable, clean and re-grease pivot points, lubricate the new cable. Bin the noodle and just make sure the cable has the metal cover fitted.
Some brake do have a specific part like Odyssey but can't see that fitting on this caliper

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:05 PM »
the odyssey adjuster wont fit without a bit of filing, thats what i did on mine. or you can just ram a normal adjuster in there.

Offline Ba5h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Hi guys thanks for the feedback it is a front brake runnning pots mod so no where for straddle ect  ;)
I should reallly just but a new one but its a rider and hoped I could rustle up summit to fit. Could it be a rear brake therefore wrong?
Bmx on a budget

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Na - most of em nowadays are front or rear - they come with the bits for each. I reckon though it's just a cheapy one that comes with the noodle for front use (earlier FS990's came with a noodle as well). Buy that Oddy adjuster and some new pads, dremel out a bit to fit the adjuster and toe in the pads properly and jobs a good'n.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Ba5h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Cool will give it a shot  :daumenhoch:
Bmx on a budget

Offline meerkat333

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:10 PM »
If u have access to a drill, Vice and hacksaw u could actually use part of the noodle to make a cable stop.
will try and explain
1 - take the noodle off the brake cable
2 - the diameter piece that was previous located in the arm is the part of the noodel u need to use
3 - remove the tube from the end diameter of noodle
4 - so u end up with just the end part that was located in the arm
5 - using a hacksaw carefull cut the bigger diameter off so u are just left with the smaller diameter,
6 - so now u are left with a diameter piece that will fit in the arm (90 degrees to its previous poistion)
7 -put this diamter in the vice and carefully drill a small hole just slightly bigger than the inner cable diameter all the way thro the diameter
8 - now using a drill bit slightly bigger than the outer cable drill HALFWAY thro the diameter
9- what u have basically made is a cable stop that fits into the arm.
10 - put this piece on the cable and then check to see if the cable runs straight across from one arm the new cable stop u made to the pinch bolt, sometimes u will have to get a thin file and file the slot in the cable stop arm, so it doenst rub on the arm.
11 - lub up the cable as well, so it should all move a lot nicer

if u had access to a lathe or had the correct dameter material u could make form a solid piece and would look neater

sorry for the decription and no pics i made a few bitd and they make brakes feel a lot more positive.
i try and find some pics or make one tommorrow to show u what i mean :)

happy new year

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 09:32 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:37 PM by bobbbbsy »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 09:48 PM »
AD990 for the rear, FS990 for the front.

Pork Chop sells the parts you require buddy  >>   http://www.porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-AD-990-to-FS-990-U-brake-caliper-conversion-kit-99901016A947.htm

BANNED

Offline Ba5h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Thanks for the help guys I will have a look
If u have access to a drill, Vice and hacksaw u could actually use part of the noodle to make a cable stop.
will try and explain
1 - take the noodle off the brake cable
2 - the diameter piece that was previous located in the arm is the part of the noodel u need to use
3 - remove the tube from the end diameter of noodle
4 - so u end up with just the end part that was located in the arm
5 - using a hacksaw carefull cut the bigger diameter off so u are just left with the smaller diameter,
6 - so now u are left with a diameter piece that will fit in the arm (90 degrees to its previous poistion)
7 -put this diamter in the vice and carefully drill a small hole just slightly bigger than the inner cable diameter all the way thro the diameter
8 - now using a drill bit slightly bigger than the outer cable drill HALFWAY thro the diameter
9- what u have basically made is a cable stop that fits into the arm.
10 - put this piece on the cable and then check to see if the cable runs straight across from one arm the new cable stop u made to the pinch bolt, sometimes u will have to get a thin file and file the slot in the cable stop arm, so it doenst rub on the arm.
11 - lub up the cable as well, so it should all move a lot nicer

if u had access to a lathe or had the correct dameter material u could make form a solid piece and would look neater

sorry for the decription and no pics i made a few bitd and they make brakes feel a lot more positive.
i try and find some pics or make one tommorrow to show u what i mean :)

happy new year
not completely sure how this will go.but will habe a look see if I can work .it out
happy new year guys
Bmx on a budget

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:19 AM »
missing these bits ,middle bit and bit on the right ,  come with a fs 990  or the older type ad 990  , think the front kit comes with the Hombre brakes aswell  :-\ ?

mooch round t web some shops are still selling the ad990 for under a tenner , comes with the bits you're missing , fix yer front and a new shiny rear in one go  :daumenhoch: 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:24 AM by oldtired »

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06 PM »
mate all you need is a barrel adjuster from a side pull caliper -only a couple of quid on ebay

saves all the hassle of drilling/filing
do this mods loads +works fine  ;)

Offline Ba5h

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24 PM »
I have managed to het an adjuster from sibot bmx shop in horley a little different to the one posted by danny so will guve that a  go later and post my progress thanks again for the helps guys  ;)
Bmx on a budget

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  whats the missing part called

gfxgfx
gfx gfx