gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 01:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**UPDATED CRANKS RETURNED**
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**UPDATED CRANKS RETURNED**  (Read 6750 times)

Offline welsh denny

• Curb Endo
  • 30+ years in the saddle.thank god for padded seats
  • Rated:
was tempted to send a polished silver fs880 to be done anno blue this week. maybe not now then....

(and i know how frustrating it can be waiting for parts when a local place took 5 weeks to powder my frame. week after week of false promises and then wrong colour - flat red than candy red-

so had em strip it and do sky blue instead as they couldnt guarantee the candy red finish- wtf?- good work when i had collected it but so much hassle i'll stay away in future and send to sbd

- 5 trips up there 50 mins each way. and plenty of blatent lies- so avoid blastcoat in newport  if you were thinking of using em any welsh radsters- or make sure you don't need the parts within

a few months- they are only a small business too.)

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
To be honest having been on the receiving end I can see both sides.  I would love to offer an anodising service . But I can't afford the time off work unpaid to do it . I am also discouraged by people not being happy   with the final finish .

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
It's a hard one for sure. I had Jay strip a NOS chainring and clear anodise it. I had it within 4 days of it getting to her from Nick. I guess it was easy being NOS and not much else to do to it.

I also think we sometimes want gold from iron. I had a couple of framesets chromed at Hockley and while there, he showed me some of the stuff people from this site had sent him to be done. Some of looked like it had just been pulled from a river after 25 years. Yet the owners were expecting flawless chrome results.

I can see Craig's issue here too. I wouldn't want to be chasing something, then get it back totally different to how I wanted it done in the first place, especially after being told it would not be a problem.
BANNED

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
I had Jay re anno my bubble font redline chain wheel and galindo cross bar - great finish, no drama and good price.  Turn around was quick.  Everyone has an off day.......
You always need a cheese option......

Offline Munnyella

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
I have had issues with anodising (not Jay) Old member on here (Ronster) made me a new school sized hutch style seatclamp, it was a beauty, polished, it looked flawless, after a while, when having a few other bits anno'd blue locally, I decided i'd chuck the clamp in too.

When I went to collect it, the guy was really apologetic, every thing was spot on, apart from the clamp, was real patchy and dull, looked bloody awful, so he stripped it in front of me, and it was beautiful shiny ally!

It was machined from a bit of billet, and as Ronnie works for an F1 team, i'm sure it was a good quality lump, but maybe the runny hot metal wasn't stirred up properly in the billet foundry.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
I've had the same , some items are fingers crossed.
I just had a gold chain ring stripped (not by Jay) and done in silver and that's a little patchy in places but it's not on a completely flat area so not really noticeable when fitted.
 I think there is a fine line of an item being stripped and it not coming out of the vat at all.
It's difficult working with different grade alloys 

Offline Chris123

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**UPDATED CRANKS RETURNED**
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 02:11 AM »
I have had issues with anodising (not Jay) Old member on here (Ronster) made me a new school sized hutch style seatclamp, it was a beauty, polished, it looked flawless, after a while, when having a few other bits anno'd blue locally, I decided i'd chuck the clamp in too.

When I went to collect it, the guy was really apologetic, every thing was spot on, apart from the clamp, was real patchy and dull, looked bloody awful, so he stripped it in front of me, and it was beautiful shiny ally!

It was machined from a bit of billet, and as Ronnie works for an F1 team, i'm sure it was a good quality lump, but maybe the runny hot metal wasn't stirred up properly in the billet foundry.

MM
A lot of the higher strength grades won't anodise as bright as 6000 series for example. Blue does tend to be patchy.

Offline Chris123

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 02:35 AM »

SBD has done all of my powder coating and the few times i have given him a frame/forks that have problems he has always spoken to me BEFORE going any further with the work and i must say every time he  has suggest which way to got the fix comes out spot on.

Completely different process's. With powdercoating you'd know of any problems before you started. With anodising you are likely to only to find out after you've started. And by then it can be too late.

A lot of old bmx parts are crap to anodise. Back when they were made the anodising company knew what aluminium was used to made the part. Therefore they'd know any pre/post anodising process's for that grade of aluminium, some of them are essential to prevent pitting on cast etc.
Anodising old parts now - you would have no idea of the grade or how well it anodises (forgetting billet for a minute).

Any corrosion (and a lot of parts have been bare aluminium for 20 years) will show, stripping the anodising makes the putting worse and then anodising will make the pitting worse again. It need to be removed but that isn't always possible.
I've had NOS billet parts still in original packaging that are pitted. They look fine until they are re-anodised and then show the pitting.

So, there as lots of reasons anodising goes wrong, usually it's because of the aluminium used in the part and you can't really blame the anodiser for that!
She's obviously done a lot to try and sort them out. I'm sure it would have been the same outcome if you'd used a company with a minimum order in three figures, only difference being they'd have given them back to you and not tried to rectify them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:39 AM by Chris123 »

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 06:39 AM »

SBD has done all of my powder coating and the few times i have given him a frame/forks that have problems he has always spoken to me BEFORE going any further with the work and i must say every time he  has suggest which way to got the fix comes out spot on.

Completely different process's. With powdercoating you'd know of any problems before you started. With anodising you are likely to only to find out after you've started. And by then it can be too late.

A lot of old bmx parts are crap to anodise. Back when they were made the anodising company knew what aluminium was used to made the part. Therefore they'd know any pre/post anodising process's for that grade of aluminium, some of them are essential to prevent pitting on cast etc.
Anodising old parts now - you would have no idea of the grade or how well it anodises (forgetting billet for a minute).

Any corrosion (and a lot of parts have been bare aluminium for 20 years) will show, stripping the anodising makes the putting worse and then anodising will make the pitting worse again. It need to be removed but that isn't always possible.
I've had NOS billet parts still in original packaging that are pitted. They look fine until they are re-anodised and then show the pitting.

So, there as lots of reasons anodising goes wrong, usually it's because of the aluminium used in the part and you can't really blame the anodiser for that!
She's obviously done a lot to try and sort them out. I'm sure it would have been the same outcome if you'd used a company with a minimum order in three figures, only difference being they'd have given them back to you and not tried to rectify them.
Good post  :daumenhoch: the chain ring I mentioned in a previous post that was new with no pitting, was gold, I gave it to the anodiser to dye it natural silver, it came out with some striping in places, now I'm not blaming the anodiser because I'm aware of the process but my most concern is even though the whole thing is now silver will it be protected in the stripy areas because I think this happened in the stripping process, it is all anodised but tends to matt of the aluminium in places making it patchy.
If you look closely at the chain ring in the 12 o'clock area you'll see what I mean.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:52 AM by snoopy72 »

rodriguez

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17 PM »
I've got a couple of bits I need doing and I hope Annodiser Chick will do them think I'll take my chances.

I've some parts sitting for a few years and was originally going to use CCA but then I heard a few horror stories so decided to leave it, thing is no one ever mentioned the balls ups with CCA on the open forum I only heard through chatting to a guy who had loads of stuff done by them.

Some balls ups where due to the type/quality of the alloy and some caused by them being a bit unreliable.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 07:47 AM »

Anyone got the pics of the profile cruiser with all the holes in it after being stripped ?

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 03:23 PM »

Anyone got the pics of the profile cruiser with all the holes in it after being stripped ?

was it chrome that was stripped ?

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Bit of thread resurrection
Found the thread on VBMX
Post 114 has the pics of bike Pete's taking about ..

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php's=&showtopic=1027080&view=findpost&p=625747
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  anodiser_chick Anodizing **PLEASE READ**UPDATED CRANKS RETURNED**

gfxgfx
gfx gfx