gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 01:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Threaders' crackpot redline rl20ii restoration:)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Threaders' crackpot redline rl20ii restoration:)  (Read 9532 times)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Threaders' crackpot redline rl20ii restoration:)
« on: June 04, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Hi everyone,
I had some spare time so thought I would post this resto that I have been doing. I love old school bmx's but am still a newbie, who still has trouble setting up brakes and gyros ect :)
Anyway this build has had a few issues, but the most important issue is probably me, the idiot who has tried putting it together :)
So I scored this redline rl20ii frame only on the bay. The seller said the rear had been re chromed and that there was one or two pin prick holes on one of the top tubes. Didn't look too bad from the pics, so I budded and won it at £260.00. I looked for some forks but ended up settling on some spinner forks, just to tide me over and scored a cheap set on ebay :)
I then take the frame, forks and skyway ex bars to the local powder coaters and leave it with them for a week.
I get a call from the powder coaters to say that they have done the powder and the frame is full of holes :-[ they said they have coated it (which I'm not sure they should have done after finding the holes) and said to come in to see. I checked it out and there were tons of holes along one top tube :(bother said they wouldn't risk re blasting it, so the most viable solution would be to fill it and re spray over the top providing it is only going to be for show.ni was gutted and considered sending it up to sawsall to see if the top tube could be replaced, but didn't think it would be worth the money.
Intent ahead and filled it as best i could and used the powder as a base to spray over. I should have took some pics but I was to eager to get it done :)

Here is some pics of the top tube close up

I then added the blue tioga spider, yellow addicks chainring, tuffs and tyres and callipers :)

Not sure what I think of it at the moment :-[ I love the colour way, but I feel I cheated a bit with the rattle canned parts. I guess it will do for now and I'll keep my eye out for a stem and seatpost. I need some blue dis compe cables and probably better pedals also. It's just a shame that it can't be ridden with the top tube the way it is.
What do you reckon? Do I get it repaired professionally or leave it as is? The other problem was the steerer on the forks wasn't long enough to fit the headset on properly. Are redline rl20 ii forks a different length by any chance?
Let us have your comments and thanks for reading. Cheers :)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Threaders' crackpot redline rl20ii restoration:)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:10 PM »
turn ya seat guts the right way round :D
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Loving the colour scheme  :daumenhoch:

Im sure long term the holes could be filled, either by welding or leaded like they used to do on care bodies   :).
rough or not seems a bargain for that money  :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:17 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I knew something wasn't right ;)

:daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31 PM »
That's better  :LolLolLolLol:

Looking good now :daumenhoch:

What's that cheeky GT hiding behind the table? 8)
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38 PM »
That's better  :LolLolLolLol:

Looking good now :daumenhoch:

What's that cheeky GT hiding behind the table? 8)

Vulture  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Well spotted :) it's a pro performer I got from sensor Milano on here a while back but I'm not sure if I'll get to finish it yet :daumenhoch:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Sure it'll cope with cruising about on when it's done bud, really looks the part too  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42 PM »
I really like that! I've always liked Redline RL20IIs. They are one of my favourite adverts from the BMX mags in the 80s

Offline Tel-boy75

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Nice colour scheme, makes it a look a little bit different.

Is the top tube that bad structurally that you cant ride it? May be worth getting another opinion on that. Like Chubby said, you would think it would be fine for just cruising around.

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Yep I think the top tube is pretty bad. it had holes all along and on the underside as well as a few on the other top tube. I think it may have been fixable if the powder coaters had rung me after they had blasted it and before they powdered it, but now it's been done I don't have want to risk blasting it again. I gues is syn strip will work on powder, then maybe I could strip it my self and then have it done. The decals weren't to expensive and I would love it as my rider. The other thing is the forks though which I need a longer steerer for :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:42 PM »
yeah, do it right, its a frame that is worth some effort - pitted as i see, so get em filled. I don't know what the powder guy meant when he said 'maybe not safe to blast', cuz if its just pits i'd have him blast it - he owes you something...

If you want to strip the powder urself anyway
if synstrip wont work try this
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54500.0.html

Del says Permatex Gasket Remover

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:38 PM »

I like it.  :) If your happy with it then leave it. These things are 30 years old.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Have it soda blasted, anything is salvageable.  Been there and resurrected a basket case myself...... Deep pockets needed, but very satisfying

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178888.msg1796234.html#msg1796234
You always need a cheese option......

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Thanks fellas. Mine is way worse than that bfellows ??? just loads of holes right the way through the top tube all the way along and underneath too. The rear chrome is excellent though and I would like to do it justice and finish it properly. I think ill look out for a set of forks and spare decal sheet and when I find them ill strip it myself with gasket remover as I don't want to risk any further damage :) There is a pic of the frame as I bought it on google images but I don't know how to save it and upload it so you can see.
I think it would make a good topic so ill keep my eye out for those forks.I have seen some on the bay but they are rl20b forks so don't know if they will fit :-\
if I find the before pic, ill post it up :)

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 08:26 PM »
here you go, found some pics from the ebay sale. All the pits turned into holes once it was blasted and then they continued to powder it with the holes in before contacting me :'(

Wen I picked it up it was yellow but you could see loads of holes all the way along so I thought to fill them in, sand it and respray over the top with 1021 ral spray paint but you can still see them. I will keep you all posted as I think its got to be done now :daumenhoch:

Offline Bfellows

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I think i'd send it to Phil or one of the other clever types and get the to braze fill, or lead load the pits and get Dan to do a bit of his powdery magic.  I'd still consider soda blasting to remove the powder - not as harsh as sand blasting ;)
You always need a cheese option......

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I wouldn't chance blasting that again.  "nono"
They'd be fook all left.  :-\
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 10:09 AM »
Sand blasting is too aggressive, car restoration places will only use soda blasting on delicate/thin metal parts these days.  If you were to get it repaired a new piece of tubing could be inserted, always worth dropping Sawzall a PM with some pics to get his opinion  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline threaders

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 10:54 AM »
cheers :) I think ill get in touch once I have found some forks, then I will have everything. I was wondering about replacing the top tubes, so will ask.
does anyone know if the redline rl20b forks will fit this build or is it only rl20 ii forks that have the longer steerer? Thanks again people :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Not sure on the forks, looks like you have Procraft forks on it at the moment though.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Shame to have to re do it all  :( , i like the colour scheme ..... proper 80's freestyle  8)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 06:29 PM »
If it were my frame I would be looking at getting the tube replaced, It's quite a valuable and desirable frame so worth it.  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Threaders' crackpot redline rl20ii restoration:)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx