gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975531 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 11:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Trying to build up a Race bike for an 8 year old
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Trying to build up a Race bike for an 8 year old  (Read 4395 times)

Offline TheJackal

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Trying to build up a Race bike for an 8 year old
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Hi,

As the thread suggests I'm trying to build up a race bike. I've been told my son needs an "Expert" size but unlike road and mtb bikes I've built, I'm a bit daunted by the fact that certain parts come in different sizes, so sourcing them may be more difficult than I thought.

As a guide is it just the forks that would need to be of an "expert" size or am I going to have my work cut out with everything?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Trying to build up a Race bike for an 8 year old
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Expert is the frame size, micro - mini - junior - expert - pro - elite is how it goes. It's the biggest frame size that takes 1 1/8th or 1 3/8th size wheels. these wheels are a slightly taller than 1.75 wheels and hence the brake mounts are placed accordingly. I've been through 2 growing racers and the easiest option is to buy a complete from one of the one line stores. If he's only just got into racing and you have a small budget look at the Cuda range of race bikes. Alan's BMX stock them. A good start point. You can jump in big time and waste lots of cash on a bike they might use twice.

Hope this helps and is legible, if not blame Carlos!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline TheJackal

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Cheers!

I actually bought him a complete park bike last year but we live in Hong Kong and it has a really good race track so he's been going quite regularly for 6 months. Problem is, a park bike ain't much good on the track and race bikes cost the Earth out there.

I've lots of experience picking parts up on the cheap for my road and mtb bikes but having found a decent "expert" frame, I'm worried about making mistakes when trying to pick up parts.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Cheers!

I actually bought him a complete park bike last year but we live in Hong Kong and it has a really good race track so he's been going quite regularly for 6 months. Problem is, a park bike ain't much good on the track and race bikes cost the Earth out there.

I've lots of experience picking parts up on the cheap for my road and mtb bikes but having found a decent "expert" frame, I'm worried about making mistakes when trying to pick up parts.

The parts don't pop up very often, that's the problem. Complete is the way to go even if it's second hand  :daumenhoch:

Offline TheJackal

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Thanks.

We return in August. Where's the best place to pick up a secondhand one? I've been on ebay and gum tree but it's difficult.

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:36 PM »
 :) Thought an Expert would be a bit big for an 8 yr old? Maybe try a junior first... Ask if you can try a few others at a track when you`re back in the UK.BMXTALK site has a fair few kid sized racebikes/parts for sale and I have 2 or 3 for sale each month.
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:35 PM »
:) Thought an Expert would be a bit big for an 8 yr old? Maybe try a junior first... Ask if you can try a few others at a track when you`re back in the UK.BMXTALK site has a fair few kid sized racebikes/parts for sale and I have 2 or 3 for sale each month.

Mrs S G's little lad has just turned 9 and he's been on an expert all year. He's not a tall one either :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Here's a guide to sizing, and it's not a bad one to go off, the top tube lengths vary between manufacturers but this guide takes that into account.

https://www.danscomp.com/serve/products%7Ccharts/riderchart.htm

Here's another for comparison. Ultimately your call though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/BMX-Racing-Bike-Buying-Guide-/10000000178357956/g.html
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Trying to build up a Race bike for an 8 year old

gfxgfx
gfx gfx