gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1983 Robinson Expert
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1983 Robinson Expert  (Read 4204 times)

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
1983 Robinson Expert
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Hi all,

I picked up this frame, forks and bars around 4 or 5 months ago and went about finding the parts for them across the internet. It's my first build so I was a bit worried about getting the types of parts right (being a race bike), and I don't really know what the original spec of these was.

I picked up most of the remaining parts from Alan's (a bit pissed they sold out of the profile box cranks  :'( ), and on Wednesday I took the day off to go up there and buy the remaining parts and basically get it finished off and ready to ride for Saturday's Santa Cruise.

With pads

Without pads (now with dia-compe clips in red)

Instagram link to Alan's BMX page for a few (better) photos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcpGq84FRh1/

I did make a mistake when I took the bike up there, I put the front brake on the rear, so Tom put a spacer in there to make it work. I'll change it after Saturday. In the future i'll take it apart and get it all restored and polished but for now I just want to ride it.

Spec:

1983 Robinson Expert frame and forks
Robinson bars
Ukai rims, Suzue hubs, comp 3s
S&M straight seat post, Kashimax aero red seat
Haro group 1 vintage stem in white (the red was too light to match any of the other parts)
Sugino 44T chainring, sugino bolts
DID chain
MX 1000 brakes in red
MX 1500 2-bolt seat clamp in red
ODI mushroom II grips red/white
Haro fusion DX pedals in red
Mirage single pinch 3-piece crank
Profile vintage American bottom bracket

I know a lot of it is 'repop' stuff but as I've mentioned before, I can't be bothered with looking for old parts, to me the current old school parts look and perform just as well.

The bike has come out just as I envisaged. I think the colourway of white and red works nicely and looks really old school thanks to the Ukais. I was thinking about getting them anodised in red but on reflection I'll leave this as it is.

Thanks for looking

Anthony
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:52 AM by anthony »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: 1983 Robinson Expert
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Looks great from where I am standing..... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

In2bmx

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:27 PM »
Very nice and from my Neck of the woods ..

Got to love a Robinson  :smitten:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Tidy.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Looks classy!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Nice one Anthony! A Robinson was one of the bikes that I really wanted bitd - a sexy gusset and looptail in one package! :smitten:

Tbh, I wouldn't worry too much about era-correct parts, especially for your first build. The main thing is that you're enjoying building and perhaps more importantly, riding the bike. & fwiw, I think you did the right thing not anodizing the rims - they look great as they are. :daumenhoch:

All you need to do now is get the bike in December's BOTM! fistblump
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:48 PM »
That looks sweet :smitten:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline morocco

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:34 AM »
nice bike

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Tis a nice looking bike Anthony and great to see someone share the same ethos with me regarding repop parts and not being afraid to use them however, I'd steer well away from the repop DC MX1000's in future, nasty things.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline anthony

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Tis a nice looking bike Anthony and great to see someone share the same ethos with me regarding repop parts and not being afraid to use them however, I'd steer well away from the repop DC MX1000's in future, nasty things.

I know that now... I'm looking at replacing the brakes for something more effective, and maybe changing the tyres for snake bellies in red... The Comp3s are a little rough for general street use and I'm not really going to go racing on it in all honesty  :)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30 PM »

I know that now... I'm looking at replacing the brakes for something more effective, and maybe changing the tyres for snake bellies in red... The Comp3s are a little rough for general street use and I'm not really going to go racing on it in all honesty  :)

I'd stick with those tyres mate to be honest, they look right IMHO. Snakes always look too far to me, even 1.75s.

The repop DC 890's are OK as they are less complicated by not having the adjusters (which don't work anyway) and they don't have that gold looking plated hardware (which looks shit). I had white MX1000's on my Haro, couldn't set them up at all.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  1983 Robinson Expert

gfxgfx
gfx gfx