gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:08 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Time to buy New School
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Time to buy New School  (Read 5956 times)

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Time to buy New School
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Ok, i need pointing in the right direction.  I've got my old school GT but I am now looking at getting a custom build new school bmx in the next couple of months once Ive got the money together.   I'm 43 and 5'11 and will be getting back into riding parks, especially Rom, with a bit of everything else thrown in.  Looking at frames there are so many brands these days it gets confusing.  What brands are good quality and will suit my needs?  I keep getting drawn to S&M and the ATF frame and like the fact that S&M have history behind them as I remember them from bitd, but at a steeper price am i getting moneys worth compared to something like the BSD The Passenger (another I was looking at)?  I was looking at using Source BMX to buy from as it doesn't take too long to get there from Romford and have heard good things as I want to buy in person. 
Cheers!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Time to buy New School
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:58 AM »
There's an ATF with Odyssey Director forks in the for sale section at a cracking price right now  :daumenhoch:

Ridden a couple of ATF'S and they are a great ride, very stable in the air and not twitchy. Coupled with Director forks you couldn't go wrong as they were £150 retail alone and the lightest forks made but still have a lifetime warranty so the £200 asking price for both is a steal and a great combination  :coolsmiley:

Here you go - it is a 21" tt as well so exactly what you need at 5'11" - get it bought  :smitten:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,184411.0.html
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:03 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Good to hear, I think the ATF will be what I go for.  But I change my mind every 5 minutes! Also I forgot to mention I weigh between 15-16st but I guess most bikes will take that weight no problem. 

Hmmm, you got me thinking,  I like it, but I really want to steer away from black, I was looking at the trans red or green and wanted new, but......now you got me thinking

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:04 AM »
Weight is no problem  :daumenhoch:

Buy it and get it sent to Dan for a fresh coat of whatever colour you like - still cost you half of what it would new so more to spend on parts >:D
Still limping......

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50 AM »
Weight is no problem  :daumenhoch:

Buy it and get it sent to Dan for a fresh coat of whatever colour you like - still cost you half of what it would new so more to spend on parts >:D

That had crossed my mind, not making this easy are you?  ;)

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Just to make it harder for you, you mentioned BSD, their stuff is spot on as well!
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:08 PM »
Just to make it harder for you, you mentioned BSD, their stuff is spot on as well!

Thanks, I seem to read all positive stuff about BSD.

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:57 PM »
BSD frames are down to £199 so may be a better option now as half the price of S&M

Offline phildaw

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:39 PM »
I didn't have a clue when I bought mine, I just searched ebay for "custom BMX" and saw what popped up, ended up with up with a complete Mutiny Cosmotron for £245.. turned out to be too big for me, so traded the frame for a Sunday Third Wave... swapped a few other bits and bobs as you tend to find your feet with what you like as you ride them... ie plastic v's metal pedals, tall bars.. top load stem... grips.. tires etc.!!!!

A year in and I have nearly recreated triggers broom, but almost have it how I like it for well under £400.. with a few parts left over to put in rotation or build up another frame.

As for makes, I started with a leaning to brands I recognised, but to be honest they are few and far between nowadays (although Haro and GT are making a major comeback)... but you quickly learn that the majority of frames and parts made nowadays are pretty good, and plenty strong enough, and it will come down to personal preference in the end. I am drawn to Mutiny as I like the graphics, likewise the United Mothership.. steep headangle, tall standover height... but to add, my brother has an S&M ATF and loves it.... the ltd yellow one they sold on Source BMX for a while

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Does it have to be a custom build?  I'd go for a good complete and upgrade as you go.  You can get some quality completes for about £350 with sealed bearings all round.

Offline mattuknc

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57 AM »
If you like the process of building your own, go that way, if you're happy to get a complete and ride it until stuff needs replacing, go that way.  :daumenhoch:
I went the custom route, bought a Mankind frame (basically because they use MK on the brake bridge and they're my initials!) and built it up as and when I found chrome bits I liked!!  ;D
Some good end of season sales about at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:54 PM by mattuknc »
'15 PK Ripper - '13 Mankind Action - '12 Skyway TA XL - '04 King Bike Co Trial - '02 Hoffman EP -  '83 Mongoose Expert

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 01:31 PM »
I definitely want to go the custom route and get bits when I can afford it, that way I can get what I want and have it looking how I want.   And I have decided on the BSD Passenger as the forks have now gone down in price too, in navy blue as the colour looks stunning! So hopefully get an awesome custom build for a pretty good price over the next couple of months as bits come up in sales. 
As for buying a frame because it has MK on the brake bridge, that's what I would do lol. 

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Just ordered, ordered the BSD Passenger frame, Acid fork and Passenger bars in navy blue, with the half price headset and bottom bracket and a free BSD seat.  Can't wait now!  Thanks for all your help guys.  http://www.sourcebmx.com/en/BSD-Passenger-Frame/m-27826.aspx

Offline mattuknc

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 02:10 PM »
Nice one, good colour.  :daumenhoch:
Bit cheeky that they reduce the price but if you want to run brakes you have to buy the lugs seperately!!!  ::)
'15 PK Ripper - '13 Mankind Action - '12 Skyway TA XL - '04 King Bike Co Trial - '02 Hoffman EP -  '83 Mongoose Expert

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Nice one, good colour.  :daumenhoch:
Bit cheeky that they reduce the price but if you want to run brakes you have to buy the lugs seperately!!!  ::)

I noticed that with a lot of frames now that you have to buy the lugs separate.  Couldn't be without a brake though as I'm old and I would forget that I haven't got brakes and end up under a bus lol, I'll get the lugs nearer the end of the build. 
The colour looks really nice in the pictures so hopefully will be in the flesh!

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I picked up a second hand Wethepeople Zodiac yesterday that was practically brand new.  I've done a lot of looking through ebay as I didn't want to spend an absolute fortune buying high end stuff that I didn't need.  This seemed like good value to me though......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281772591002?euid=ef460f2e292c49619efac67b919d456a&cp=1

I know that if you contact them direct they would do a better price too.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Just noticed you've already bought a frame  :D  Forget that then   ::)

Offline phildaw

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 02:00 PM »
That is a great price.. full cromo frame/bars/fork, freecoaster hub. Wish I was in the market for a new bike!

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Just noticed you've already bought a frame  :D  Forget that then   ::)

Nice one with the bike, enjoy it! I'll get some pics up of mine when I get a chance :-)

Offline mattuknc

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Have you got it built already then??  :daumenhoch:

Oh, and here's mine.  ;D

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Have you got it built already then??  :daumenhoch:

Oh, and here's mine.  ;D

I like that!  Haha won't be done till the new year I reckon,  hopefully get a few more bits in a couple of weeks and the rest after xmas :-)

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 02:47 AM »
Decent complete s on winstanleys for 399.. chuck me any questions about ns stuff . Its what I ride and know plenty folk who do to. Good decision.  Its the future. 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Time to buy New School

gfxgfx
gfx gfx