gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is building bikes easier now or back then?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is building bikes easier now or back then?  (Read 45424 times)

Offline Jazzchimp

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Is building bikes easier now or back then?
« on: January 22, 2016, 08:49 PM »
When I started building around 2002, prices were pretty comparable with prices back in the day. I remember hesitating over a GT complete build for £150, NOS MX1000s were £30 any colour and GT bars around £30. Prices were cheap parts were plenty.

But by 2005/6 parts were drying up and builds took longer (took me a year to get a set of DB pads) although we did have RAD!

Now prices make my eyes water, but almost everyone is remanufacturing, grips, brakes, tyres even Hutch parts are a plenty.

so, are you finding builds easier now or back then? 

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: Is building bikes easier now or back then?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Bit of both. I for one am pleased with some of the re-issue stuff from Hutch, the Profile anniversary cranks, AM'E grips, Kashimax etc. These have made finishing builds much easier, and it also means that you're not riding round half pissed from pub to pub on your NOS beartraps. I'd say that over the past 4 years, the amount of decent parts at decent prices are really drying up. Have a search on ebay, and it seems like it's the same sellers listing either 1. absolute tat, or 2. decent ish parts, but BOTH at ridiculous prices. There is the odd item at a decent price, but very few bargains, or even moderately priced. I find that decent stuff can still be found on bmx museum if you're willing to trawl through the swap meet section, but then you have to hope that the seller ships to the uk, and there's also our old favourites customs & the post office handling charge to deal with....
I got back into this in 2009. Back then I was paying £30 (from Biagio) for a NOS in the packet suntour stem, and the same for a complete NOS boxed set of MX901's including levers, dated cables and cable clips. They weren't exactly pennies back then, but I didn't see the price inflation coming. What's the going rate now for a nice suntour stem that's been fitted and could have had many owners during it's lifetime? £80 or thereabouts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:49 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline Jazzchimp

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Having been away for a while I've lost touch with what stuff goes for. Starting to sound like my dad! :)

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Ive got 5 bikes in my cellar covered in dust and 2 boxes of parts sat doing nothing.

About 4 sets of nice wheels too.

Don't know what they cost me, don't know what they are worth.

Come spring, I'm gonna wipe em all down and see what's what.

And build a torker.

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:59 PM »
I got back into BMX back in 2004 and started to look for and building my first bike (Pro-Star) in 2005/6 and parts seemed readily available, although you might have had to wait a few weeks until that final item popped up, prices were more than acceptable.

Now it's a real struggle and what is around in mass is a lot of tat. The nice stuff commands big money so I'm glad I've had my fill. I love old-school anything but I also like my modern day comforts so I'm actually tempted to go for a newer BMX if i like the look of it.

I've a few bits I need to finish a Silver Streak but because I want as date correct as possible could take some time
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:05 PM by sparky »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

griff

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Not sure if I'm going to build anything else, happy with what I've got but last year I didn't have much trouble chucking my Curtis together thanks to lots of help from this place  :4_17_5:
Hoping to get out pedalling a bit more this year and see some ramps, didn't build them to just be ornaments!

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Too many mongs got into the scene last few years .. and they are prepared to pay through the teeth because to them current prices ARE THE prices... f ing noobs.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:47 PM »
For me, now is easier.

The bigger this hobby gets, the more the companies that were about in the 80's jump on the bandwagon churning out reproduction parts, the easier it gets for me to grab the parts I want, without paying through the roof for them.

Hardly anyone will approve of my ethos, but I don't care.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Do it your way Dan. In my opinion you build some of the best bikes on here. They just look 'right'. building on a budget doesn't mean it looks crap. Kashimax seats/Hutch pedals/AM'E grips etc. Look essentially the same, with very slight differences to distinguish the original to the repro. Some of them aren't exactly cheap, but much cheaper than the originals, so all good  :daumenhoch:

My GJS (if it ever arrives) will be built using a mix of original & re-pop parts. Don't have the pockets or the heart to go with an all out OG build (as it will be a custom colour anyway)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:09 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 04:16 PM »
For me, now is easier.

The bigger this hobby gets, the more the companies that were about in the 80's jump on the bandwagon churning out reproduction parts, the easier it gets for me to grab the parts I want, without paying through the roof for them.

Hardly anyone will approve of my ethos, but I don't care.  :daumenhoch:

I do, difference between you and a lot of people is you're open about it.  :daumenhoch:

As long as they look like they should BITD that's what matters, build what you want, how you want according to what your pocket can afford.

I can remember looking at Alans site in around 2003 and thinking "I'm not paying that for a set of DC brakes that were shit BITD for that price" they were around £30, people were racing old school bikes using Pitbulls so I bought one of those instead and a set of ACS 860s   :idiot2:

In2bmx

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Harder...

Finding those sweet desirable parts can be tricky and expensive .  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 04:34 PM »
sooner walk round Oldham with a nail in my shoe than try to source all the correct bits to build another bike.... :-[
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Dunno if it's easier or harder but I'd rather bide my time rather than pay through the nose for something just for the sake of having it "right now".  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:28 PM »
I guess you could consider me one of those "mongs"! :LolLolLolLol:
It wasn't that I liked paying stupid prices but what else are you going to do to make a mint factory spec replica ?
I got into the scene 5 or 6 years ago when prices were high and have remained so, if they've not gone even higher now! 
Even back then there seemed to be a lot of quality and NOS items kicking around.
If you waited and were patient most things would come up.
Rare parts then have become even rarer now.
I've managed over the years to get many excellent parts from  :radbmxsmilie: but how many of the old Radsters have stockpiles of nice or NOS parts just gathering dust just on the off chance of a future build?
I'm not judging but those parts gluts have stifled our scene and further put prices up.
My current build will probably be my last 'crazy' build not just because of the money but due to the scarcity of parts around.
It's been a real struggle to source the era correct mint or NOS parts.
I'm not against some good resto work but sometimes I just want a bike to be all original and untouched if you know what I mean ?
I'd love the  :radbmxsmilie: trades and sales pages to be booming just like in the old days ....
Back then it wasn't the cost that meant you lost out but the fact you had to be so quick to snatch items before someone else did ... It was kind of exciting to nab the parts you needed!
I'm not saying I won't build anymore bikes but this will be my last show worthy bike I think for all these reasons.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:33 PM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Dunno if it's easier or harder but I'd rather bide my time rather than pay through the nose for something just for the sake of having it "right now".  :daumenhoch:

I'm not one of those people who pays through the nose to have it now ... I pay through the nose if I've been waiting 6 months and the rare thing finally comes along.
I'm not rich but sometimes if you want that rare part you have no choice if you tried every other avenue first  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:39 PM by factory pilot »

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Carl

It's loads harder and more expensive lol
Some parts are never going to come up again , shame but that's the way it is , if you can take your time then you can find most things but the good times of building what you fancied is well over

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Carl

It's loads harder and more expensive lol
Some parts are never going to come up again , shame but that's the way it is , if you can take your time then you can find most things but the good times of building what you fancied is well over

Totally agree mate :daumenhoch:
There are so many builds and replica bikes I'd love to do but when you look at the parts lists broken down there's usually 2 or 3 bits that are so rocking horse doo-doo that you're never gonna find 'em.. It's sad but very very true  :(

Offline Jazzchimp

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 07:37 PM »
See I'm a purist, if I am building it has to have NOS parts rather than repos. I completely respect those who do but I like the challenge. But I know like me you guys have rooms full of parts with no intention of selling, not for any other reason than if you do you know you'll never afford get them back.

Thing is I've stalled. Have probably 8 top end builds needing NOS parts which I sense I won't get finished because stuff isn't out there and when it appears I won't be ripped off by high the prices. What I have noticed is those high ticket item actually aren't selling to anyone - just people chancing their luck.

Maybe in another 5 years people will begin to sell off but who knows.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Maybe in another 5 years people will begin to sell off but who knows.

I think you're right mate, age may play a part in it for most. As much fun as it is, and as much as I enjoy seeing the lads, I have to ask 'Will I be doing this when I'm pushing 50?'. The answer is, probably not. The problem I have then is once all the nice stuff I've got is sold, I could potentially be stuck with a box of repop stuff that noone wants.

I doubt I'll sell everything though, may keep one to hang up in the man cave, when I turn it into a bar.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 08:02 PM »
When I started trying to find bits for my old bike, all that was available was old bike shops, car boots and free ads etc, was difficult to find ANYTHING!, then Alans started sellin o/s stuff , around 2000.

After that internet made it LOADS easier.

Then RAD.

Now its still easy, but more expensive!

You can always pm folk who you know have bits...... ;)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I think it's harder because the fun has gone out of it, I built everything I wanted to when it was fun, like others have said, the money making knobs got into the scene & took the fun out of it.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Is building bikes easier now or back then?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Overall I think you can knock a bike bike out in a few days if you are not to picky but the high end parts are definitely drying up. I have spent years searching for a few bits. Patients is a virtue and pockets at the moment need to be deep even for a budget build.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 09:40 PM »
I do laugh

I sold so much high end stuff , if I was bitter I would shoot myself lol

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 07:41 AM »
One thing is for sure, my salary hasn't followed the inflation of prices of items. He's a few examples

2006 - I bought a survivor Leary (near complete) for £480.00 (you'd usually see them in the region or upto £550.00 or even £600, they now going in the region of £1,500+

2006 - Sugino 1pc, 15.00 for a NOS, now command £60.00, maybe £70.00 and I've even seen people pay more.

2006 - DB SR MP133 pedals, I was picking them up for £40/50 and that made me wince, now seeing them go for £450.00, as much as £600.00

Just some off my head examples

Ludicrous and I'm glad I'm not just getting into it. I'm not into repop, old school is old school but I appreciate why people go this route. :daumenhoch:
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 06:17 PM »
i remember when all this was fields....

sorry wax, had to

Dave
haro, how do you do

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is building bikes easier now or back then?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx