gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 10:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Visit to Diamondback
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Visit to Diamondback  (Read 2781 times)

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Visit to Diamondback
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Since I'm a bit of an old school Diamond Back nut I was chuffed when offered the opportunity to visit Diamondback. They've never really been the same since Sandy Finkelman walked away and the final demise was probably the time with Raleigh purchased them.

During my visit I'll be shown BMX and even MTB but my main aim will be to review and check out the 'forum' that's been inspired by the original Harry Leary. Although it will take more than a nice paintjob, replica turbo cranks and some old school decals to get my heart beating with excitement. Those of you that haven't seen the limited 2016 model, here it is.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I'm also intending on asking some questions, quite serious too if need-be which I'm sure I'll have many of, but if anyone here would like me to ask something I haven't already noted, please feel free to pop something in this thread and if time permits I'll attempt not only to ask but seek answers too.

I haven't penciled a date as yet but I'm hoping it will be sometime in January.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Visit to Diamondback
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37 PM »

That looks nice.  :coolsmiley:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Looks ace  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:22 AM »
It looks pretty cool aesthetically but personally, I would have thought a decent racebike in that livery, would have been a more fitting tribute, particularly as rider numbers are increasing at race meetings and decreasing at skateparks.
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

griff

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:21 AM »
colour scheme looks good but I'm struggling to see the point of it, just looks like a standard NS park bike with nice stickers on it as opposed to some kind of 're-imagining' of the original

with the 'retro' market already well served by Skyway, SE & Haro I think they may find sales difficult tbh, unless they have somehow managed to put it together cheaply enough for kids

Offline mattuknc

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 01:04 PM »
I think if you're after getting back into riding, liked the old Turbo and can't afford one now, for around 300 notes this is a good buy.  :daumenhoch:

Edit:  On their chrome bikes, add the old 'diamond' gussett.  :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:07 PM by mattuknc »
'15 PK Ripper - '13 Mankind Action - '12 Skyway TA XL - '04 King Bike Co Trial - '02 Hoffman EP -  '83 Mongoose Expert

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Well the visit to Raleigh/Diamondback went very well and was a thoroughly enjoyable time. We spoke about all things bike and on top of that old school, to the point of possibly them releasing an anniversary model DB, but decision is in its infancy but we both thought it could be achievable (so watch this space).
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 04:42 PM »
Awesome

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Nice one, I bet you had a great day  :daumenhoch:

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 09:53 AM »
It was great and couldn't resist ordering one of those 'forums'  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 09:55 AM »
They look a proper nice bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jazzchimp

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 03:55 PM »
A DB nut myself but why use the ultimate race bike name of a street bike? should have beed a streak or viper? Also good point about why is it a stock looking frame?

They have hit on a great concept but needs some thought.

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Visit to Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Their intention wasn't to create a bike that was based on an old model, they just thought they'd take inspiration. Although a stock frame, it's the same as their top models. It's also been limited to 30 units only.

It was interesting talking about how standards have changed and how and what parts can be used in today's bikes which are very different to the bikes we had 35+ years ago. Health and safety impacts are far greater too.

Raleigh are currently manufacturing various anniversary models, such as the Grifter and Aero Pro so I hope a DB or two will be their next projects and also I hope to be working with them very closely should the idea be approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:19 PM by sparky »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:08 AM »
"Raleigh are currently manufacturing various anniversary models, such as the Grifter and Aero Pro"  :coolsmiley:

Now THAT sounds interesting!! Any more info? :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21 PM »
"Raleigh are currently manufacturing various anniversary models, such as the Grifter and Aero Pro"  :coolsmiley:

Now THAT sounds interesting!! Any more info? :daumenhoch:

Not really I'm afraid, just something we touched on as we got talking about the difficulties in replicating the Grifter seat.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Visit to Diamondback

gfxgfx
gfx gfx