gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975536 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 08:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer fork has play
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Performer fork has play  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
GT Performer fork has play
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Hi everybody,

after fixing the issue with my Araya 7x's (big thanks by the way for all your replys) the next problem occoured. This time, while doing my first endo, I've noticed that my fork has some play (for -and backwards). Just like it was before I gave my bike to a mechanic in order to get the headset replaced (I didn't had the tools yet to do it on my own).

A brand new Tange MX-2 headset has been put in about 3 weeks ago. Since then I rode about 500meters and did nothing other than riding up and down the street (no jumps, no bunny hops etc.) and one little endo.

All nuts are tight and as said above, the headset is new. Any ideas why the fork still has play???

Thanks in advance - Andy

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: GT Performer fork has play
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Either your crown race is the wrong size and is loose, your bearing races could be in backwards or, more likely, the MX2 has come loose. They are a basic headset and don't lock very well. Try a Tioga Beartrap II (around £25) or an Epoch headset (around £40). But make sure you buy the right size Epoch, they do a road bike size too and although it is 1" the cups will not fit your bike. It must say BMX on the box.

Check that all the bits are in the right way round first before forking out for a new headset.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Either your crown race is the wrong size and is loose, your bearing races could be in backwards or, more likely, the MX2 has come loose. They are a basic headset and don't lock very well. Try a Tioga Beartrap II (around £25) or an Epoch headset (around £40). But make sure you buy the right size Epoch, they do a road bike size too and although it is 1" the cups will not fit your bike. It must say BMX on the box.

Check that all the bits are in the right way round first before forking out for a new headset.

Thank you Nick, so it looks like I have to disaassamble the hole thing to figure out if the bearing races are in backwards. The size should be correct. I'm not an expert but I bought the headset at Dieter's Bikeshop in germany and told him I need one for a GT Performer (85/86), I would be surprised if he has sent me the wrong parts.
To me it's a bit strange that it should have come loose on it's own just by riding a few meters, but I trust in your words on that.

Excuse me please in case this a dumb question but I'm not yet so familiar to all the english names of the bike parts - the crown race is that  "ring" attached to the head tube or a part of the headset "puzzle"?

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:32 PM »
I had the same problem the bottom cup wobbled. I fitted a better headset and now it's fine.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 08:46 PM »
I had the same problem the bottom cup wobbled. I fitted a better headset and now it's fine.

Awesome!  :(  In case all parts are right sized, build in the right way and are tight - I have to buy a better headset. Which one did you buy?

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 08:47 PM »
crown race goes on the forks
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:10 PM »

Ahaa!  :daumenhoch: ...found a picture in a build thread here.
Is this a part that I can buy as a single spare part?

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 09:45 PM »

It should be part of the headset.  You are normally best not to mix them up from a different headset.  Nick is right I have had the same problem with MX2 headsets.  I use Beartrap 2 headsets now as the just work.  No messing about.  They are real tight tolerance.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 09:52 PM »

It should be part of the headset.  You are normally best not to mix them up from a different headset.  Nick is right I have had the same problem with MX2 headsets.  I use Beartrap 2 headsets now as the just work.  No messing about.  They are real tight tolerance.

Thanks, that was the last bit of information I needed (that it is a part of the headset) :daumenhoch:
...and thanks to all of you for being patient with me  :4_17_5:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Hope you get it sorted :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Hope you get it sorted :daumenhoch:

Thanks, me too :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Sorted!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Performer fork has play

gfxgfx
gfx gfx