gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 10:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which Headset for This Pair?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which Headset for This Pair?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Which Headset for This Pair?
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:00 PM »
This Nu Skool crap's fair doing my head in.
I have a T1 Ruben frame and some Unknown forks (the ones in another thread that needed unavailable 990 lugs). The bike I'm moving things from was only made about 3 years earlier, but it might as well have been a hundred.
If I put the bearing race onto the forks, it rides really high. The bottom bearings don't fit at all, although things look fine up top. To save me from going back and forth from Waller's till they're sick of the sight of me and my damned unusual part requests, could someone please tell me what I should be looking to buy?

The headtube looks like this:

And the forks look like this:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Which Headset for This Pair?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:09 PM »
it looks like the headtube still has part of the bearing race in it, give it a knock out and fit the new one.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:13 PM »
forgot to say you will need an internal headset, something like this.
http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/75899/WeThePeople_Compact_2015_Headset

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Well fan my brow, I gave it a thump with the fat screwdriver and a 'persuader' and it flew out. It had always looked like part of the frame itself till you said that. Thanks a lot.
But those forks. Do they need a race or do they fit straight into the bottom bearings on that set you've linked to?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34 AM »
the forks need a race too, you will get one with a new headset. it will have a flat surface at a 45 degree angle. with the internal headsets, you dont see any of the bearings as they are sealed. they just push straight in without the need for a hammer usually.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Once you 'get it' you'll  realise old school is crap  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55 AM »

Pickle is correct , but......
you could save yourself some hassle n flog the Ruben to me  ;) ;)  :daumenhoch:   

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:17 AM »

Pickle is correct , but......
you could save yourself some hassle n flog the Ruben to me  ;) ;)  :daumenhoch:   

:LolLolLolLol:

Old school's what I know, and I sure do know a lot of crap.
And nice try, amigo.
Believe it or not it was bought 'As Seen Brand Unknown' for a fiver via eBay, the seller was just 5 miles away. You just can't part with a bargain like that, so it'll be a grudge-match to get this finished and ridden whilst there's some Summer to be had.
I'll have another crack at it today, the bit stuck in the headtube was the blocker. The bearings being transferred aren't sealed but aren't quite loose, there's a load of small ball bearings embedded in the cups. It works, so there's no need to buy replacements.
The race on top of the forks was a tight fit but went on and came off again; looking at pics of other bikes with these forks, they do seem to ride a little high. That fat flange that the race sits on is a bit too visible for my liking, but if it works, it works.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:20 AM by Wayne Ryder »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24 PM »
option is swap out the forks for a set with a machined race , these do sit lower in the headset  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which Headset for This Pair?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx