gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 05:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&M NBD.  (Read 11323 times)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: S&M NBD.
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2022, 09:18 PM »
Looks great  fistblump

I am not normally a fan of Camo tyres but they work well on that  explosion

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2022, 11:32 PM »
Thanks dude.

I was torn for a while on whether to get a red rear wheel. The problem is that after 40 odd years of BMX I know that coloured rear wheels will look like shit after a few rides.

There's also the fact that the rear wheel on the bike is a 300 quid wheel, and having played with it I've come to the conclusion before even riding it that I'm going to like it.

TBH the Metal is a similar story. I had black wheels on that and within a few rides the rear was wearing badly on the braking surface.

So I put on polished wheels. Which imo are the best wheels to use. They look almost as good as chrome, but won't peel, and you can get the brake rub off very easily.

So, with front wheels being much cheaper than rears, especially freecoaster wheels I am going to either but a polished front wheel or get one built. Source have stock of the Fly Lunar Lite which is the same but not as strong, so I think I'm going to get one built. It won't look as nice as red wheels or gold, but they won't turn to shit after a few rides.

Sadly talking of riding it. I can't . Turns out the bellend I bought the fork from removed the fookin crown race, even though it's specific ONLY to that fork. So I have to get one made, or I'll destroy them.

Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2022, 11:34 PM »
Looks great  fistblump

I am not normally a fan of Camo tyres but they work well on that  explosion

Yeah I'm also a coloured tyre hater but I just wanted to put lots of colour on it.

My mate calls them the seagull poop tyres lol.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2022, 11:59 PM »
Yeah, decision has been made.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2022, 03:49 PM »
I like, I also like the red front wheel too. Nearly bought one for my Hellcat. What put me off was matching it up with a rear too.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2022, 04:03 PM »
You can get half decent red rear wheels.

Source does their own branded Jet, and unless you are hercules a single wall rim should be fine. They're on sale ATM, too.

https://www.sourcebmx.com/products/jet-bmx-rear-generate-cassette-wheel-rhd?variant=20050419220591

There was also a Cinema for 150 but they are all sold out now. TBH a single wall is fine for pretty much everything. I just don't want to wear off the braking surface as it tends to go all patchy and nasty. Silver wheels will always be the best for keeping them decent looking, and by the time I had a freecoaster built on the only red rim I can find now (a 50 quid Proper) it wouldn't be worth doing. TBH that was mostly why I removed the ODY Quadrants from the Metal (they were black) and put the Haro SATA on it. Because the worst I would ever need to do is just magic eraser it off.

The main thing here was building another rider. If I wasn't riding it that Jet wheel would have gone on there. Thing is in my mind I need to justify spending what I have on a rider. Meaning shorter TT, far shorter rear end (it's over an inch shorter in the ass) steeper head tube, taller bars, freecoaster.

The Kizz was made using Rebel contender geometry for the mid school lot. Which is fine, but it feels like a mid school bike. I just fancied a complete switch up tbh, and at the end of the day if I am spending what I have I want to ride it 100%.

Good thing is if I hate the FC I can just switch the wheels out onto the Metal and vice versa, without ruining how either of them look.

But yeah, after all that work and nailing the amount of white and gold I do want matching rims.

BTW didn't go into the cost breakdown of the front wheel.... The rim was 79.99. No getting around that. However, the front hub was on sale for 22 quid and the spokes were like 19. Throw in a free build and yeah, it wasn't bad at all. Another thing that bugged me was the black spokes on the front wheel. Problem is black spokes are the cheapest, so will pretty much come on any ready built wheel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:07 PM by Midschoolfool »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2022, 03:32 PM »
OK so I need a crown race made because the bellend who sold me the fork 14 months ago removed it, and it's specific to this fork.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Yes, hate it when stuff like this happens. I bought a lovely nos built set of wheels about 18 months ago. Big city rims on Shimano DX hubs (the black mid school version) at a great price. The cassette was missing a few bits including the most important lock ring. The seller did find a few spacers for me and forwarded them on which was cool. I had to pay a score for a lock ring and have it shipped from Portugal. I was still happy with the total cost I guess. Nice wheels for my Cannondale one day.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2022, 08:46 PM »
I got the Stay Strong one on there  :LolLolLolLol:

It measured 29.05. Not the 28 I thought it did. So it was 1mm too small to go over the taper. So I put on the heat proof gloves, put the belt file inside it and rotated it until I had taken enough out (took 3 attempts) before smashing the bastud on.

I doubt I will get time to ride it now, but at least when I am ready hopefully it should be too. Got some family stuff going on now (not good). If the wheel arrives tomorrow as it should I should be able to get some decent pics mind. Not going to change the brake cable to white now. I tried lining some up with the frame but it stuck out too much. I think yellow would suit it better, but again that's just cosmetic stuff.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2022, 01:42 PM »
Bloody hell. I think Source have elves  :LolLolLolLol:

I ordered the wheel pretty late on Weds. By the time I had got up it had shipped. I then started crapping myself, thinking they'd sent it in bits. Opened the box and there were some spokes in a bag. I totally crapped myself. Then I realised there were only a few. Took the wheel out, and thankfully it was whole  :LolLolLolLol:

Needs a good clean now. There's red grease everywhere from continually having to take it apart. But, it's done ! woohoo. Will do the proper pics soon.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2022, 03:59 PM »
Clean and pose. Before it pisses down again.

2019 S&M NBD Dave Krone/Kareem Williams signature frame.Flat red. Converted to brake.
Demolition Concorde V2 fork, painted white with pin stripes and custom decals
Stay Strong headset red
Profile Acoustic stem gold
Volume Mad Dog bars in confetti finish
SNAFU Anchor lever RH
Demolition Axes grips red
S&M Hoder bar ends
Odyssey SLIC cable red
KHE pivotal seat post. Gold, 200mm
Bone Deth Spider mid padded seat
Demolition Medial V3 cranks in white. Hollow 19mm axle
Demolition Axes bottom bracket, 19mm
Profile Imperial sprocket. Gold, 25t
Black Label Graduate pedals, trans red
Front wheel - Fly Lunar Lite laced to Fly Classic front hub. Stainless spokes.
Rear wheel - Fly Lunar laced to BSD Westcoaster freecoaster. Stainless spokes. Vocal red nuts.
Cult Vans red camo tyres F&R. Cult rim strips.
Federal 2.4" tubes
United valve caps
Mission 990 brake plate
Mission Cease brake with Kool Stop pads

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2022, 07:06 PM »
OK. Given this has been a "try to make it all killer" build I decided to invest a tiny bit more. AKA, pissing money up the wall  :LolLolLolLol:

I hate the top cap. I hate those 1/4" drive top caps in general as unless you are really lucky they end up crooked and look like dog shit. It's also a pain to do it up, given I don't have a 1/4" arm. Only 1/2 and the very small one. So I have to dig around for a tiny adapter.

So I got an S&M one. That will look good no matter what.

Currently there is no issue with the brake. It pulls like you would pulling a mugger off your granny, but as the pads wear it won't work. This is because of two reasons. Reason one, I put the stop a little bit too close to the seat tube. However, that would never be an issue if I were able to custom make the straddle. Sadly it's balls. Literally.

And a barrel cable will not fit. So you can't change that at all, unless you have knarps.

So change it I will. I can then bring the whole hanger back, leaving tons more room for pullage. Talking of which... I tried a white cable against the frame but I didn't like it. I like how the red sticks out against the bars. So I decided to keep it red. What I did do, though, was buy a proper linear cable. The other one was 3 quid, and is not. I prefer linear.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Clean and pose. Before it pisses down again.

2019 S&M NBD Dave Krone/Kareem Williams signature frame.Flat red. Converted to brake.
Demolition Concorde V2 fork, painted white with pin stripes and custom decals
Stay Strong headset red
Profile Acoustic stem gold
Volume Mad Dog bars in confetti finish
SNAFU Anchor lever RH
Demolition Axes grips red
S&M Hoder bar ends
Odyssey SLIC cable red
KHE pivotal seat post. Gold, 200mm
Bone Deth Spider mid padded seat
Demolition Medial V3 cranks in white. Hollow 19mm axle
Demolition Axes bottom bracket, 19mm
Profile Imperial sprocket. Gold, 25t
Black Label Graduate pedals, trans red
Front wheel - Fly Lunar Lite laced to Fly Classic front hub. Stainless spokes.
Rear wheel - Fly Lunar laced to BSD Westcoaster freecoaster. Stainless spokes. Vocal red nuts.
Cult Vans red camo tyres F&R. Cult rim strips.
Federal 2.4" tubes
United valve caps
Mission 990 brake plate
Mission Cease brake with Kool Stop pads

Those tyres clash with the flowers! It's making my eyes hurt!! :D

Apart from that, me likey! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2022, 03:22 PM »
Haha good I hope they fall out  :LolLolLolLol:

It's amazing how much this build divides opinion tbh. Like everyone seems to hate colour these days. Amazing really.

The good thing is if people hate it and it divides opinion like that then I definitely got it right.

It's happy. I've built quite a few now that are not, so it was time.

Got a load to do at home now. Like, home home. Need more wall sockets for the network and my server so have to do that, and then I have a big upgrade for my cinema system planned and got too, but again needs labour. Nothing stock here!

That said when I go back I can finish it up and ride it back, because I just lugged about 30kg of equipment up the bloody stairs.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2022, 10:02 PM »
Those tyres need to go in the sea!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2022, 12:01 PM »
Those tyres need to go in the sea!

:LolLolLolLol:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2022, 06:55 PM »
You know I'm right though  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2022, 01:02 PM »
Will get this finished this weekend. Had a bit of a nightmare with a new AV cabinet.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Ugh.

The knarps did indeed work, and the brake is now absolutely evil. Problem is the top cap. Demolition used M25, and even though their listings for the Concorde say it is M24 it is not. So the S&M top cap doesn't fit. Another nice upgrade for the Kink  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&M NBD.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx