gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  White tuff restoration
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: White tuff restoration  (Read 4098 times)

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
White tuff restoration
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:35 PM »
I needed to change my repop tuffs for og items after searching for some time through rubbish I took a chance on some untouched but grubby wheels. The wheels were cream when they arrived with black speckles like mould, i bought them with the intention of trying peroxide or if i had to id spray them white for show use only. I started by stripping them down then stuck them in the tuff wheel cleaning machine, apparanetly you can wash pots and cutlery in it aswell  :chin: Next step was to source some peroxide !!! a friend who isnt too far away offered to give me some he had left over and showed a pic of his wheels done which looked awesome. He suggested coating them up and sticking them out in the sun...............it was April and we had no sun  :( Eventually we had sun and i started the process. The pics will show the progress as I did one side first to show the difference just like an 80s head and shoulders advert  :LolLolLolLol: it took 5 goes per side to clean them up. At one point they still had marks so i used grey scotchbrite and scrubbed the wheels with peroxide then put a thicker layer on. It was suggested that it should work without sunlight but when I tried it didnt work as well, I would say 30% difference in colour.

I masked the hubs even though I was told not to and in the end I stopped as I couldnt be bothered, the peroxide did not harm the metals on the wheels.

so you need

1. Peroxide cream

2. gloves

3. paint brush

4. sunshine

5. possibly a scotch pad if you have stubborn stains.

After each application I washed the wheels in the shower and dried them ready for another go, its good for your drains as its also a biocide lol. Thanks to Michael Stobie for the peroxide. Ive no idea of your name on here and also I'd like to think the Lord above for the piss poor sunshine for about 4 days over 2 months Amen !!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:44 PM by moza »

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: White tuff restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:35 PM »
moe
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:38 PM by moza »

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:36 PM »
more
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:40 PM by moza »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 01:53 AM »
That's a stunning result and little risk of destroying the alloy hubs too; good work.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Thank you I'm very pleased with the end result.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Great result  :daumenhoch:

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:03 AM »
I dont post on here as much as I'd like to, I use my phone and it won't upload pics here. I used the g/fs laptop, I'm having the spindles replated then putting them back together.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Lee, I use Photobucket if I am on my mobile or tablet, a bit long winded to do but works ok.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Nice work moza.  :)

Download the Photobucket app... it's a piece of piss.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Thanks Marty what's the app I'm still in the 80s lol

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:20 AM »
Great results!! I may have a go at mine now! Peroxide is great for whitening, I just tried a little experiment with some white Sharp grips which worked great...I have ordered some more now to really bring them up. Sunlight is ESSENTIAL for good results. They are getting dunked again as soon I receive the peroxide hopefully in a couple of days. I used food grade(WTF??) peroxide which comes as a solution, just left them in pint glasses in the sunshine. I might have to put a big order in now and do my tuffs!!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:14 PM »
You definitely need sunlight although I think a sunbed might work or UV lamp. All the spindles etc are being zinc plated next ready to rebuild.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43 PM »
You definitely need sunlight although I think a sunbed might work or UV lamp. All the spindles etc are being zinc plated next ready to rebuild.

when I first thought of doing it, it was winter and I was thinking of using a UV nail drying lamp but luckily the sun is with us more now!  :daumenhoch:

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Well it honestly works a treat these looked cream with black marks that looked like mould. They are now bright white.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 10:51 PM »
Well it honestly works a treat these looked cream with black marks that looked like mould. They are now bright white.

Damn, I just rebuilt the front hub...I am pretty sure I am going to try this now! Out of interest, is the surface still smooth and shiny? it didn't seem to affect the texture/softness of the grips at all.

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 11:11 PM »
Yes it's still smooth. I'm going to seal them and Polish them with autoglym resin Polish to finish them off.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Yes it's still smooth. I'm going to seal them and Polish them with autoglym resin Polish to finish them off.

Good shout, can't hurt  :daumenhoch:

Offline moza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:59 PM »
They are still white  fistblump

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Cool thread  8) and great results!

I was given ( :shocked: ) a set of alloy hubbed white tuffs at the weekend - will be trying this soon.

Brian  :daumenhoch:

Offline PHIL9HUF

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 12:34 AM »
Great results there :daumenhoch:
Hydrogen peroxide I use it almost every day for my job !
I have done a couple sets of wheels with it too and it certainly gets them white again  :daumenhoch:
If it isn't sunny you can try wrapping them in a plastic bag,cling film or tin foil so it will cause heat to build up inside similar to what the sun does !
Cream peroxide is easier to apply as its thicker and stays on but grips will be fine in a glass with liquid peroxide  :daumenhoch:
There are a few different types and strengths
3%[cream]=10 volume[liquid] this is really weak and some nutters brush their teeth in it to whiten them,I use it to colour peoples grey hair  :LolLolLolLol:
6%[cream]=20 volume[liquid]
9%[cream]=30 volume      "
12%[cream]=40 volume    "
And if you can get hold of it cos it was banned for a while !18%= 60 volume
Which is really quite strong you don't want to use it neat but can dilute it with water :daumenhoch:
usually 9%or 12% will be strong enough without causing any damage just remember to protect alloy with vaseline,tape or both :daumenhoch:
Wear gloves if you have soft hands  :D and do not get it on ya clothes as it will bleach them !
It usually stops working after an hour or so as its basically water again so rise off and reapply if need be :daumenhoch:
You can buy it on ebay :daumenhoch:
It is probably cheaper at £2.40 + vat per ltr from the hairdresser suppliers but they might not sell to you if your not in the trade !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  White tuff restoration

gfxgfx
gfx gfx