gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 28, 2024, 11:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX pedal bearing re-pack
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano DX pedal bearing re-pack  (Read 13465 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Shimano DX pedal bearing re-pack
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:19 PM »
There is an old myth that if your pedals spin forever they are in great shape. The truth is, it means that the grease has 'dissolved', become liquefied, and most of it will be on the inside of the pedal body, leaving your bearings and bearing races exposed to quick wear.

With Shimano DX pedals, as with most pedals, the plastic caps are removable so you can remove the axle and bearings to re-pack them. You will though, undoubtedly, damage your end caps if there is even the slightest burring of alloy on the end of the pedal.

Anyway, to start with the re-pack, you will require a 15mm spanner, an 11mm socket and wrench, a pair of thin nosed pliers, and two small flat head screwdrivers. A wire brush is also handy to rub off any rust or debris on the axle thread ends.

First we are going to take the pedals, one at a time, and remove the end caps. I recommend doing the pedals one at a time so there is no chance of mixing the bodies and axles up, and the bearings from each pedal will go back from whence they came  :daumenhoch:

Screw the cap anti clockwise using the thin nosed pliers. Once you have unscrewed the cap as far as it will come, gently prize the small screwdriver down the side and prize the cap upwards. There are slots around the cap on the underside which you will see, so make sure the screwdriver gets into one of those to minimise any damage.

Once you removed the cap, you will require the 13mm socket and wrench and the 15mm spanner. The securing nut on the end of the axle will undo anticlockwise (This is for both pedals).

Unscrew the locking nut, then remove the lock washer.

Unscrew the bearing nut by securing with the thin nosed pliers and twisting the axle with your other hand in a anticlockwise direction as you look at it.

Slide out the axle, remove all the bearings carefully. I like to place them in the cap so I know where they are and they can't roll anywhere. There should 22 of them.

Now clean the bearing races inside the body with a clean rag. For stubborn, dry grease, use some white spirit.

Clean the threaded end of the axle with the wire brush, taking care not to damage or 'remove' the weatherproof seals.

I like to use Teflon Grease, and Finish Line is a great product  :daumenhoch:

With your flat edged screwdriver, take the grease and lay it on the bearing races at both ends. Drop 11 bearings onto the grease and use the screwdriver to 'push them home' onto the races in the grease and remove any excess. Wipe the inside carefully to also remove any excess.

Now place you axle carefully back into body and push it all the way through.

Firstly, screw on the bearing nut and replace the lock washer.

Screw on the locking nut until it just pinches the lock washer and tighten slightly with the 13mm socket. With your thin nosed pliers, hold the bearing nut and tighten the axle with the 15mm spanner in a clockwise direction as you look at it. This will tighten the bearing nut against the lock washer and locking nut. You may have to do this a couple of times to ensure you have the correct spin on your pedals.

If they are overtightened, you will force the bearings into the races heavily and will damage both. It they are too loose, the play in the axle will put pressure on the bearings and the races, thus also causing damage. Once you are happy with how the pedals spin, replace the caps, and voilĂ . Ready to roll for another couple of months  :coolsmiley:

Any questions, just feel free to ask  ;)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:34 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano DX pedal bearing re-pack
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Nice tidy how to that Terry  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Nice thread and a really good guide  :daumenhoch: Thanks for that!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:31 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Nice little how to there Terry  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Excellent walkthrough, thanks  :4_17_5:.
I've done many sets of pedals before, but I've never attempted to remove the DX end caps, and didn't want to force and damage them. Good timing this guide, as I need to swap some 1/2 for 9/16 axles on a NOS set of DX's in a few weeks. REALLY don't want to be messing those up  "nono" (especially as they aren't mine!)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:00 AM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

griff

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:21 PM »
Great thread
Having done this I know what a fiddly bastard of a job it can be. Need to do it again soon but still haven't found all the bearings after they went flying into a pile of rubble  :teef:

Will make this a sticky now  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 12:00 AM »
Excellent walkthrough, thanks  :4_17_5:.
I've done many sets of pedals before, but I've never attempted to remove the DX end caps, and didn't want to force and damage them. Good timing this guide, as I need to swap some 1/2 for 9/16 axles on a NOS set of DX's in a few weeks. REALLY don't want to be messing those up  "nono" (especially as they aren't mine!)

Followed this guide, and swapped the axles on 2 sets of pedals. No damage to the end caps either, which is good as one set of DX's were NOS. Phew!  Great 'how to' - thanks  :4_17_5:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Jeeeez i have done this a few times  :D 

Great thread Terry   :4_17_5: and more or less the same principle with all loose ball pedals  , so no excuses for rumbling/creaking pedals now lads  :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 05:39 PM »
This thread is what  :radbmxsmilie: is all about.
Great work and useful information to us all for the future  fistblump
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:16 PM »
The loud, crunching sound I'm now getting in one of mine suggests I should have a crack at this soon, so thanks for the guide - very helpful! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Jmc Jason

• Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43 PM »
Fantastic thread step by step guide very helpful
Nice work  :4_17_5:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Wicked stuff! Just stripped down the DX's that arrived in the post today ready for a refinish and hopefully an axle swap on the left pedal once one  has been found.  Shame the last owner lost the seals  "bump"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:17 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline ollysth

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 06:11 PM »
great info, i will be using this  fistblump

Offline Suitstusir

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 12:08 AM »
Great 'How to' post - 👊🏼

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX pedal bearing re-pack

gfxgfx
gfx gfx