gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975538 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 06:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Araya 7x issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Araya 7x issue  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Araya 7x issue
« on: May 02, 2016, 12:12 PM »
Hi everybody,

I have noticed some issues regarding my Araya's. Hopefully I can explain everything properly in my own words. Recently, after I was out for a little ride, I cleaned up the rims. In doing so I felt a very very very ( super very if you will  :) ) subtle wobble of the rim between my fingers. Both rims are showing the same issue.
Yesterday I took the front wheel out to have a closer look at the hub and the axle. I was curious about if I would feel the same wobble by trying to shake the axle. That's tight actually, not the tinyest movement noticable. 

What surprised me a little bit though, was the order of cones and lock-nuts. It looks as follows: (pictures - see below  ;) )
At the inside there are the cones and then without a washer there is the lock-nut on either side of the axle. Maybe it has to be like that and in this particular order. That should be the purpose of a lock-nut, to make shure that the inner nut doesn't move, isn't it?
Furthermore I regognised that it's different at the rear wheel. On the right hand side (sprocket) there is a cone and as well without a washer the lock nut, but on the left hand side there is the cone, then two spacers followed by the lock nut.

Even in my limited logic about these technical aspects, I think it isn't meant to be like that. Especially that slightly wobble with the wheels built in, no matter how subtil.

If one solution to this wobble issue would be to tighten the cones a little more, I have to loosen the lock-nuts first, right?
I really appreciate any advice regarding all the above particularised issues  :coolsmiley:

Many thanks in advance and greetings from germany  :daumenhoch:
Andy

PS: I don't know if this of any importance at all, but eveytime I try to ride freehand the bars go crazy and the bike has a tendency to turn left. This could maybe end up in inventing a new trick, but it feels strange.

RIGHT FRONT: order >>> cone / lock-nut

LEFT FRONT: order >>> cone / lock-nut

LEFT REAR: order >>> cone / two washers / lock-nut

RIGHT REAR: order >>> cone / lock-nut (a bit difficult to see, due to the droput being in the way -sorry)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:29 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Araya 7x issue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:24 PM »
You shouldn't have any washers between the lock nuts, they should be on the outside of the lock nuts.

Have a look at this page, http://sheldonbrown.com/diy.html or http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:07 PM »
You shouldn't have any washers between the lock nuts, they should be on the outside of the lock nuts.

Have a look at this page, http://sheldonbrown.com/diy.html or http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Thanks for your reply. Interestingly there is a picture that shows >>> cone / washer / lock nut  :-\

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

...but it is also said: "If the cones are not screwed on far enough, the bearings will have "play": the wheel will be able to shake back and forth on its bearings. This is an unpleasant sensation, and may cause control problems."

That's maybe a part of the solution. ...but thanks   ;)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:14 PM »
If your cones are slightly loose you will not feel it by trying to waggle the axle as you do not have a long enough lever to feel it. But when the wheel is fitted the length of the spoke gives you enough lever to feel it. Taking the wheel off and trying to feel it through the axle will not work. Take the axle out, grease up the bearings and reset the lot. If you can't remember what goes where place the nuts/washers/cones in the order you took them off so that they go back on in the reverse order. As long as it spins ok you can tighten them up but you will not feel any play until the wheel is in the fork and you have got your leverage back.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:26 PM »
If your cones are slightly loose you will not feel it by trying to waggle the axle as you do not have a long enough lever to feel it. But when the wheel is fitted the length of the spoke gives you enough lever to feel it. Taking the wheel off and trying to feel it through the axle will not work. Take the axle out, grease up the bearings and reset the lot. If you can't remember what goes where place the nuts/washers/cones in the order you took them off so that they go back on in the reverse order. As long as it spins ok you can tighten them up but you will not feel any play until the wheel is in the fork and you have got your leverage back.

Thanks Nick  :daumenhoch:  that hepled
I can manage that. Is there any reccomended time interval on serviceing the hubs that should stick to? 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:30 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:32 PM »

I can manage that. Is there any reccomended time interval on serviceing the hubs that should stick to?

depends if you ride them and whether it's dusty
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:33 PM »

depends if you ride them and whether it's dusty

Yes I will ride them regularly but only on the streets and parking areas. I will not ride bmx tracks.
When I put it all together after serviceing both wheels, what about the two spacers at one side, but none at the other (rear). I might be mistaken, but the rear wheel seems to be of center If I leave it that way.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:46 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Put one of the washers on the other side, should even it out  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Put one of the washers on the other side, should even it out  :daumenhoch:

Thanks to you also  :daumenhoch: I will measure it before and afterwards, that should tell it's position.  ;)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Sorted!  :daumenhoch: Thanks for all your replies!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Araya 7x issue

gfxgfx
gfx gfx