gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 01:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Li'Qaero, the last Quicksilver BMX
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Li'Qaero, the last Quicksilver BMX  (Read 5364 times)

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Li'Qaero, the last Quicksilver BMX
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:58 AM »
Competition Development, the manufacturer of Quicksilver BMX, started its life as a BMX company in the mid '70's as the importer & distributor of Mongoose & Torker bikes. There may also have been others that I am not yet aware of. They also distributed mostly American components including Adicks, Cook Bros, Redline, Ashtabula & many others.
They produced their first home grown frame in early 1978.
They moved to Japanese sourced components during 1980 when this became a win win  siruation with lower costing while being able to maintain or improve component quality levels.

All in all they produced seven full sized BMX models on six diferent frames that were built in Australia under the Quicksilver name. There were also two versions of the 24" Cruiser, a 26" Cruiser & a Mountain Bike.

Additionally there was a Quicksilver Mini & a Quicksilver Liquid Smoke [Mini] Both are extremely rare with only one or perhaps two examples known.

Made only in 1983, the last model to be produced used aero tubing in the frame as well as the aero cranks & fork.
These were simply known as Li'Qaero with the aero part of the name obviously refering to the new direction in design.

Research indicates that not more than 100 of these were made & currently there are four examples in my serial number list in another forum [Ozbmx.com] so it can be seen that they are not common.
Even less common is the Li'Qaero Mini. At this time I have speculated that perhaps as few as ten were produced, but time will tell. Two are currently known & one of them is the subject of this thread.

At this time this is the only known advertisment for them. They did not use the Quicksilver name anywhere on the frame but I think that I can make out a Quicksilver branded Elina seat that had been standard fare on previous models since about 1980 or '81.

This is my recently aquired Li'Qaero Mini. I got it without a stem or bar, no pedals or wheels & no seat, seat post clamp, or brakes. The seat post is steel & is firmly stuck.
I have quickly added a generic black seat, a black Addicks seat post clamp [og spec], a pair of original Li'Qaero wheels that were all that remained of a Li'Qaero 'find' that had been fitted with a pair of Tuff's. The bike had been sold years before I got there but the wheels had remained.

These wheels may have been original spec. on a mini, or they may not. The research continues.
The stem is a black Sugino that I had but not the UFO version that would have been original & the bars look about right.
The brake in the ad looks like it might be a Dia Compe & not the Shimano Tourneys that Competition Development had used as standard equipment for all it's previous models. Comments on the brake in the ad are invited.

This one will take its place in the restoration line & wait its turn as I have more Quicksilvers to restore first

The only other Li'Qaero Mini can be seen on the Museum website.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Li'Qaero, the last Quicksilver BMX
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 07:13 AM »
 :coolsmiley: Cheers for posting. I bet those Elina seats are uber-rare!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:20 PM »
That's cool as you like!! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:06 PM »
Top project and a good read that.  :daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:34 PM »
They look like Tange made frames.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:12 AM »
Yeah, the dropouts on both the frame and forks are very Tange-esque!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23 AM »
Thanks for the comments, it's much appreciated.
The LiQaero frames were welded together here in Australia from frame kits that were supplied to order by Tange so that would account for the "Tange-esque" look.
The fork is Tange TRX  & this was adopted as the standard Quickie fork from early 1982, replacing the TX500W used on earlier models. Quicksilvers were always offered as a race frame or bike so the cheap & nasty TX1200 fork was never used ex factory.

Yes, the Quicksilver branded Elina seat is not common, but I have a used example in black & a couple more in yellow. I also know of a bloke with a small number of new ones, but liberating them will be a task for another day that will probably require a lottery win.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Great read  :)

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:46 AM »
Update
Information has come to hand via an original newspaper ad for the clearance sale of the assets of Competition Development Pty Ltd.
It was a long held belief that the liquidation sale took place in early 1984 after the factory closed at the end of 1983. It looks like we were wrong.
According to the newspaper, the sale was to take place on Friday, the 25th of February 1983 after close of business in December 1982 or January 1983, so the LiQaero models must have been produced in parallel with the Quicksilver Thruster frames & bikes with the last known of these being dated December 1982.
LiQaeros did not include a date code in the frame number but Quicksilvers did.

A third LiQaero Mini hs turned up so the known serials for the Mini now run as 5, 7, & 9, all less then ten which is as many as I think were made.

Still trying to source & buy a standard sized LiQaero BMX frame, discarded hulk or whole bike.

griff

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Great thread - missed it the first time around  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Li'Qaero, the last Quicksilver BMX

gfxgfx
gfx gfx