gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 01:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Racing Pro - 'Rusty Rick'
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rickman Racing Pro - 'Rusty Rick'  (Read 14296 times)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Rickman Racing Pro - 'Rusty Rick'
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02 AM »
Ooooops!  :D

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Well i'm absolutely amazed I didn't spot that stamping when I was stripping mine down, but then again it was 'a bit rusty'. I'll have to check them out when I get home. I have been told the Rickman race forks are super-rare so i'm impressed you have two sets Andy!
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 01:28 PM »
A Rickman owner over on Fb has sent me this scan earlier on, so I thought i'd post it up in case people are interested. Some cool stamping info and weights etc... Also confirms that they were available in white and chrome from the factory, although I have also been told that the 'W' was never actually stamped on the frames and was just used for ordering purposes.

The same guy has also positively ID'd my forks as genuine Rickman items and told me that there were cases of some forks leaving the factory with 2 unstamped dropouts... so i'm not too stressed about not seeing any numbers on mine now.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Well as you can see no real updates on this for a while, as I haven't really had any time in the UK over the past few months.

I have decided to try to re-use as many of the parts as I can that came with the bike as found, so that would be namely the F&F obviously, the CW bars, the slightly unusual Piranha stem, the Strong CX-15 seat post clamp, Tech-3 lever and the DC rear brake.

The seat post, seat, crank and pedals and the remains of the front and rear wheels all came off and went straight into the bin, so they are out of the picture.

I'm not a massive fan of the look of these CW bars but keeping them on it seems like the correct thing to do, plus they feel nice and wide so they'll be off for a rechrome along with (hopefully) the F&F. The stem is going off for a polish and tidy, as it only has monster surface tarnishing and no real dinks or marks.

I have some nice cranks, BB, chain, headset and wheels already put aside from my stash for this, as well as a Shimano DX seatpost all ready to go. Pedals are undecided at this stage but I have a few options available.

All I really need for it are a seat, grips, brake cable and plate (all in yellow perhaps?), and some suitable tyres of course. This is going to be one I ride regularly so I am building it as such.

Decals and pads will come from the usual sources and so if i'm not a naughty boy I might try to blag those as a Chrimblage pressie off Rach  8)

griff

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2016, 03:54 PM »
great thread Martin

so glad it went in the bath! came out lovely

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Still a long way to go yet.... but it is certainly looking a lot better than it did! I just like gathering all of the parts together for a build before I start, and picturing it in my head to see how it will all work out.

Does anybody know whether there is a 'correct' decal layout on these? Or are they like my WHEELS frames which were seemingly a little random? If you look on the pre-dip pictures there are two PRO FRAME decals - one on the seatpost tube (which most I have seen tend to have) and one on the downtube towards the very front. I haven't seen another with the one on the downtube before. I was just wondering.... I think the Rickman decals are some of the best out there.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Never seen another Rickman with a Pro frame sticker on the down tube. It looks the real deal though. Not saying the rest should have it, maybe more an after thought ?

What yellow grips you after ? I have some yellow sharp grips spare, British too.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2016, 06:17 PM »
Yeah, they do certainly look original! They have also saved another square inch of the frame from rust so I am thankful of that at least! HA! They are situated where the  :Great_Britain: decal sits on most of the other examples I have seen, and that decal is absent here. I will try to replicate what was on it I think.

Can you post up a picture of the Sharp grips please?  :Great_Britain: Very interested (I love this forum!)  :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Don't know how I missed this.  :-[

Great thread .  :4_17_5:

rodriguez

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Can't believe it came out of the dip as good as it did, think you're going the right way by keeping close to the way it was, bars'n'all   :daumenhoch:

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Massive credit to you.
that's an awesome transformation.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Thanks chaps. I've got to get it to stand a rechrome yet.... that is the main test I reckon. The rear loops do have a bit of pitting which I need to somehow address but that is the aim. Get it back to spangle-spangle original and then build it back up using as many of the original parts as found as I can.

Saved anyway, and for a major low-budget as well.

Should make for an amazing before and after comparison!

Is a stem pad going to fit over that monster Piranha hammer stem I wonder???  ???

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Well thanks to Andy that's the yellow grips sorted... I just need some Sharp end caps for them now (see my wanted ad).

I never thought I would find myself looking for yellow bike parts for a build  ::)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Rickmans rock. fistblump
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2016, 01:21 AM »
Well thanks to Andy that's the yellow grips sorted... I just need some Sharp end caps for them now (see my wanted ad).

I never thought I would find myself looking for yellow bike parts for a build  ::)

Sharp grips RULE!  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 03:07 AM »
Yellow Sharp grips are here, and i eventually found somebody with a heap of griplocks (though not in the colours i was initially after.....) I settled for the black pair out of his stash in the end as i thought they would match the Rickman padset pretty well in that colour combo.

As far as the frame goes, well i have started doing a little light sanding of the pitted areas and it seems to work well. LOTS of time required to get the finish i want before finding somewhere to send it off for a rechrome. Time is something i don't have much of at the minute unfortunately.

Can anybody on here suggest a good quality chrome shop who will do bike frames????

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 09:09 AM »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Great - just had a look over their website and it looks good! Dropped them an email with some pics so see what they come back with  :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2017, 08:20 PM »
My survivor has a Pro decal on the seat tube .

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Stick a photo up please buddy. I'll be adding another in the same place as i found mine when this is finished.

monkian

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Loving this epic save Mart. Are the bars brazed Reynolds?

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Yeah, I am quite enjoying the challenge to be honest, and having a Ricky Pro at the end of it will make it very worthwhile.

The bars are CW - you can just about make out the original decal in the first pictures if you look closely. Not my fave bars by a long way, but as they are presumed 'original' to the first build they will be rechromed and retained. I am trying to keep as much as I can really. That stem will be a big feature also(!)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Racing Pro - 'Rusty Rick'

gfxgfx
gfx gfx