gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 02:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Quadangle build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Quadangle build  (Read 10018 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Quadangle build
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:34 PM »
At the Cleethopres ride I was chatting with Nick Dawson and he let me have a ride on his repop quadangle. I gave him it back and in my head I was saying "I've got to get one". I didn't think much more about it then a few days later a frame, forks and parts came up for sale. It seemed a good price and the seller wasn't too far away and happy to meet me halfway. I couldn't really afford it but I left a deposit on it and put loads of stuff on eBay to pay for it.

I'm not really sure were to put a repop bike, new skool room doesn't seem right, so I've stuck it in here as its near enough a copy of the original. It's going to a freestyle build, with mags and ramp tyres. Edit, in the end I changed my mind, it's going to be a race bike.

Here's what I've got to play with. The first thing on my mind is colour. What to go for? I love the baby blue and I'm tempted to get the frame matched to the forks, but there's loads in that colour and it would be nice to be different. Green or orange would be nice. I need to decide between those 3 colours, then get it to the powdercoaters.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:00 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Quadangle build
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:33 PM »
Looks well cool, not a fan of your colour choices but it's your bike.

What about old school white with the baby blue forks?

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Or a classic beige frame and brown forks  seen a few rippers like that  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:50 PM »
This is an orange one I found while on google looking at different coloured ones.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:24 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24 PM »
+1  :)

Or maybe dark brown with the baby blue forks you have.  :-\ Sure SE did this colourway but the other way round.  :-\ Like chocolate.  :P

Or a classic beige frame and brown forks  seen a few rippers like that  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Cant really make out if yours is beige, brown or gold, but i the beige/black/brown  colourway on Capt.Nemos' quad here http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=375113     Reply#13 2nd or 3rd pic  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:19 PM by fischflo »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I just dropped this at the powder coaters, getting it done baby blue. I'll have it back next week and I'll put some pics up.

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I got lucky and had to meet my coach from work today, 1/2 a mile from the powder coaters, so I called in and collected my frame. Very happy with it, it looks much brighter outside as seen on the seat of my van. Indoors it doesn't come out as good on camera.

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Any suggestions on what spoked wheels would look good on this? Should I go 80s or something more modern?

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 12:13 PM »
I know you asked about spokes but I think Quads really look good on Skyways.
That said how about Araya Aeros? You could legitimately go for the new versions, I aways fancied trying those. I know very little about new school hubs if that is the standard you have. That said some of them look pretty funky.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 05:20 PM »
I know what you mean, they do look ace on skyways, I just fancied a change as every bike I've built has had skyways so fancied spokes for a change. The other good thing about skyways is the price, can't beat them at £60-70 new for the repop ones. I'll check out the araya aeros.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Have you looked at the wheel options? You have so many choices, go retro or go new school, all are open to you given the reissue frame. I envy you to be honest although making decisions must be so hard  :-\

Still think the new aeros would be coolio, perhaps a polished aluminium or brushed finish. Chrome spokes to polished or brushed hubs. All depends on the colour you choose for brakes, bars etc. Baby blue may limit where you go, given pastels only really gel with other pastels.

Need input on a potentially very interesting build me thinks. "bump"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19 PM »
 "bump" "bump"
Please encourage new posts over posts years old.
The poster asks a very testing question and nothing, put your bmx hats on and add to this. I really think this could be a great thread, especially with input; good or bad. Just contribute.

griff

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Have seen these done both NS and 'retro' (with people going to the trouble of grinding off the brake lugs so they can put an OS brake on that doesn't work as well

Personally I think you've done a good thing keeping the lugs, why not take advantage of modern improvements? As for wheels, depends on what you want to do on it & your budget but you're in a good position of being able to go old or new

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I was going to grind the lugs off but after reading up on the frame, I found out it was a limited edition run, I think it's 1 of 250 or something like that, so I wanted to keep it as it was from the factory.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 03:06 PM »
spokes .....like the araya aeros like Avro said, or some Ukais + compIIIs.  ....and polished!

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 04:59 PM »
I've not touched this for a while, I decided to finish my Performer first. I got a Dyno compe locally via an old car page on Facebook, I needed it just for the seat, but ended up with the whole bike. The guy that bought my Zippo seen the Dyno and really liked it, we got chatting and I swapped him the Dyno for my old black tuffs that were on the Zippo. Just got the wheels back last weekend, and I popped to Hopkinsons cycles today, picked up some comp 3 tyres and got them fitted. Long term I still might go for spokes, but I'm struggling to decide which kind, this will help get me rolling in the mean time. My main choice next is which bars to go for.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Al's Rapid Transit Cooks bars would look great on this. They are great bars to ride with too. Steve Bateson on Facebook was selling a set which he may still have 😉
BANNED

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Al's Rapid Transit Cooks bars would look great on this. They are great bars to ride with too. Steve Bateson on Facebook was selling a set which he may still have 😉

Just did a search he's sold them, any one else got any suggestions for suitable bars?

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Seen these on planet bmx site 👍

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 05:15 PM »
They are pretty good quadog.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 10:17 PM »
BANNED

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 06:41 PM »
I've made a proper start on the build now. Got a bit done, and I've ordered some bars. Fly Donny Robinson ones. It's slowly looking like a bike now. I'm not sure about the seat or the post. I've got a chrome post which might look better. But the seat doesn't match anything else on the bike.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:44 PM by stevepeanut »

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Ditch the saddle a black kashimax  aero or mx repop would look much better . looking good though 👍

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Ditch the saddle a black kashimax  aero or mx repop would look much better . looking good though 👍

Yes I think a black one will look spot on.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Quadangle build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx