gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 01:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pre serial Hutch Exper Racer - Project Budget Hutch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pre serial Hutch Exper Racer - Project Budget Hutch  (Read 8027 times)

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Pre serial Hutch Exper Racer - Project Budget Hutch
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Project hutch has taken a turn for the worse.  It now has proper hutch un-drilled forks fitted.  It has been reunited with its original forkset. 

Budget blown..

Back to the powder coaters.

Going to be a while now.. I've got to get my PayPal fun funds back up..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:07 PM by fatalan »

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 02:53 PM »
They look happy to be re-united  ;D
If in doubt flat out.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 03:00 PM »
Definitely Dave.. My only question is do I go for an original colour now..

The likely answer is no.. more sparkly purple black base goodness!

Cheers,

Alan

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Back from powder coating the forks seem to be right at home. 

I'm still wondering if I was right to go with the colour scheme but it's on now and very thick. My initial plan was to go with a budget build but now its not seeming so budget since the proper forks were obtained.  It may end up getting re-done before purchasing graphics for it.. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:07 PM by fatalan »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Stick with the colour, its kinda funky.
The componentry colour scheme/finish will need some thought to match the bling frame and fork.
I have a build coming up, all Japanese, where I decided to source mostly from the SR parts bin. I has proved a great choice as they are quality parts but do not attract silly money. Also availability has been good. I do not know how this approach would work with something as American as apple pie though. Maybe ban yourself from nos? OPC would be a very good way of saving money for other things and can look just as good with a nice chainring assembly.

Look forward to more updates  :daumenhoch:
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 09:12 AM »
I used to spray my bike a different colour every couple of months back in the day.
If in doubt flat out.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words..

I have to agree oldschool - it might end up having a colour change as soon as its built.  I was torn between so many different colours when I ordered this.  I remember getting a car sprayed and taking about 2 or 3 weeks deciding on colour.  Its down to if I can get a reasonably priced set of graphics for it.

Regarding the NOS stuff im building it to use it a little bit so I'm quite happy with tidy used bits.  I'm planning going to down the route of old school racer - spoked wheels etc but the colours would be important.  Im starting to sound like a girl! 

Even the misses reckons that the colour would make a nice nail varnish!

Next im going to get looking for a nice headset. 

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Black silver or gold bits would be safe with any colour frame. What colour stickers are you looking for ?
If in doubt flat out.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Probably go for silver... i can then introduce some nice chrome or polished bits with ease...  Looking at
whats out there the black seems to come on foils to go on chrome.  I think black might look ok yet subtle.  on the other hand it might look rubbish.  I didnt know if only judges came with chrome letters.  Failing that i'll have to go with a white set. 

I suppose i could summarise as "not sure"

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Nooo! black decals will be too dark!
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 10:19 PM »
I would go with white on clear or get some made silver on clear, silver bits are easy to get hold off or get any colour and oven pride you could get a set of scratched or faded wheels quite cheap and polish them. Or even odd colours.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:21 PM by oldscool »
If in doubt flat out.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11 PM »
I have eyed up a few wheels and wondered if the oven cleaning products would work.  Last year on an old bike of mine i polished the outer edges to hide brake wear.  Looked quite good but gave me blisters and made me smell of autosol!

I do quite enjoy polishing but I wouldn't like to do it full time.

There seems to be a lot of bikes being broken (more than are being built it seems) so there seems to be some nice rare period items around reasonably priced.   Some may argue that if the market is declining im wasting my time.  The build is more because I want a hutch though rather than I want to invest in hutch parts.

Im not a fan of wheel restoration though.. I am rubbish at threading all the spokes... last one i did took days and lots of swearing!

I think black would not be a good look.  Hutch US sell graphics and I have seen a man in France selling kits.  I quite like the idea of chrome or white.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41 PM »
   Some may argue that if the market is declining im wasting my time.  The build is more because I want a hutch though rather than I want to invest in hutch parts.

That's the only reason to build it! No rules saying a Hutch must have Hutch parts...
I am sure Del would probably do the decals...he is the best in the business and here in the UK 
If it were mine which it's not I would go for chrome decals or silver...whatever the originals were, matched with the 'chrome' Hutch pads   :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:43 PM by deeman »

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Pre serial Hutch Exper Racer - Project Budget Hutch
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 07:19 PM »

Well.. it's still in progression.  Got some Hutch restoration graphics (couldn't get hold of Del).

Mucked up the application

Need to buy more..

Essentially I didn't realise I should have used water so I've got some bubbles.  They are not instantly obvious but I know they are there

Just wanted to say hello so the world knows the build didn't stop.. I just ran out of money at Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:22 PM by fatalan »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 11:24 PM »
WAIT!! SCHTOPP!! you may be able to save the decals! get a sharp pin and prick the bubble then smooth over with a cloth,,,most should disappear! make sure you pierce the vinyl ..... :daumenhoch:

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 06:53 AM »
I got rid of  lot using this method but the large graphic on the lower tube looks quite rough when close. 

I'm going to have to sort it out.  It's just not pretty. 

I'm annoyed with myself as I have applied graphics before on a motorcycle and solid that wet.. don't know why I thought this would be any different! 

I'm pleased With the overall look of silver graphics over the purple so at least I know I'm heading in the right direction. 

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I got rid of  lot using this method but the large graphic on the lower tube looks quite rough when close. 

I'm going to have to sort it out.  It's just not pretty. 

I'm annoyed with myself as I have applied graphics before on a motorcycle and solid that wet.. don't know why I thought this would be any different! 

I'm pleased With the overall look of silver graphics over the purple so at least I know I'm heading in the right direction.

Definitely the right choice of colour for the graphics...does look ace so far!  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 10:12 AM »
Nice to see your back on track Alan, the silver do look spot on  :daumenhoch:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I got a new set of graphics so I have put them away safe.  I will be looking to get the rest of the bits sorted and then apply graphics as a finishing touch.

Im pleased with the colour scheme thus far.  I think staying with chrome will work well.  Back to an earlier comment I think I will go with a one piece.  I can always change to something else in the future.

Glad to come on here and get help.  Im pleased I paid my subs!  I am on the verge of exploding at some of the negativity on the Facebook groups at the moment.  Lifes too short!

griff

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Look forward to seeing how it turns out Alan  :daumenhoch:

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Hows your build coming on Alan?

Im also building a Pre serial Hutch Pro Racer, its a matter of time waiting/hoping for the right parts to become available  :(

Heres the built to date.

Anyone got a Hutch seat  post ???
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pre serial Hutch Exper Racer - Project Budget Hutch

gfxgfx
gfx gfx