gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 01:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Koolstyler's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ammaco Koolstyler's  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Ammaco Koolstyler's
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:52 PM »
Anyone know anything about them before I do any research?

Years manufactured?
Spec?
Where they were made?

Any info really.

Cheers lads.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: Ammaco Koolstyler's
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:31 AM »
You wouldn't like em, they're freestyler's  :teef:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26 PM »
apparently it's a hi-tensile four-model range bike ....according to this not very informative review/specs of the Koolstyler in 1984 BMX Biker Monthly No10 (Incomplete) :-\
http://bmx-recollection.com/Downloads/Magazines%20(UK)/BMX%20Biker%20Monthly/BMX%20Biker%20Monthly%20No10%20(Incomplete).pdf

You will already know this, Danny-san, but just 4 the record - about differences to the Freestyler PRO:
warduke on bmxmuseum:
"I have a koolstyler and researched it for months to find out the true make. I discovered that the downtube dosent go up as high on the koolstyler, so the gussets at the headtube are smaller than the freestyle. And I also saw freestyles serial numbers that start with k's. There is a great koolstyler ad out there, and that was the nail in the coffin for me. So bigger gussets = freestyles. (http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=428741)

review of the Freestyle Pro range (king, pro, or ace)
http://bmx-recollection.com/Downloads/Magazines%20(UK)/Freestyle%20BMX/Freestyle%20BMX%20Volume1%20Issue01.pdf

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:38 PM »
I hope you are going to go for one Dan .. I loved these as a kid .. It's why I had whitewalls on my burner :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:38 PM »
The only reason I'm interested in knowing a bit about then is, while I was at MK, I got a FB message from a guy I know, and he was doing a job at a house and the guy he was doing the job for had this in his shed. I was wondering if it was worth a punt? I know a bit about them from memory, as my two mates who were twins had them for Christmas in 1984. The issue for me is, if I were to get it, I would want to keep it as a total survivor, but replace the non spec parts with originals in the same condition, so what spec is it, and are the missing parts easy to get hold of. Also, how much do I offer this chap to take it off his hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:55 PM »
The hardest part to replace is that top tube pad Dan, and thats there, the rest should be a breeze

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:59 PM »
The dealer sticker on the main tube is Dave Miller Cycles in Chester, they're still going to this day, maybe they have some information on the sale or particular model type.

I'm a bit thrown by the tyres, surely they would be a freestyle tread, rather than Comp tread?

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 04:06 PM »

Just found these pics ...

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:06 PM »
The dealer sticker on the main tube is Dave Miller Cycles in Chester, they're still going to this day, maybe they have some information on the sale or particular model type.

I'm a bit thrown by the tyres, surely they would be a freestyle tread, rather than Comp tread?
white wall shopper tyres I reckon were on it originally

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 04:10 PM »

white wall shopper tyres I reckon were on it originally

That's what I remember from my friends bikes, I need to message those guys to see if they remember anything. I do remember them both having the WW model though.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Looking at the chainring its not the low end one as its not a nasty one peice steel thing

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Looking at the chainring its not the low end one as its not a nasty one peice steel thing

Good spot J, defo not entry level then.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 04:31 PM »
I reckon all you need is a Viscount Aero seat in white
Pair of Happy shopper tyres
white copy mushrooms
and a pair of Victor DX pedals.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Hi Dan, it's essentially the same frame as the Freestyle Pro, but with slightly lower spec standard parts. Lovely frames (and forks are for some reason, pretty rare) and you won't regret buying it if you do. I have a full mag article test ride somewhere, albeit on the Freestyle Pro, but it gets great comments.

Serial number on the BB can be dated. First three digits will be something like 408, the 4 being 84 and 08 being August. The earlier ones had a stamped gusset but the cracked so the later ones were unstamped. Mine is July 84 and is stamped (from memory) so that one will be late 84 or early 85.

I have a NOS Ammaco padset and have scanned it and sent it to 'the usual pad guy' so you'll be able to get new pads.

I'm a race guy and my Ammaco is my only a Freestyle bike. I love it - fab to ride and very light weight, and most importantly it isn't too valuable (Haro) to chuck about.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Hi Dan, it's essentially the same frame as the Freestyle Pro, but with slightly lower spec standard parts. Lovely frames (and forks are for some reason, pretty rare) and you won't regret buying it if you do. I have a full mag article test ride somewhere, albeit on the Freestyle Pro, but it gets great comments.

Serial number on the BB can be dated. First three digits will be something like 408, the 4 being 84 and 08 being August. The earlier ones had a stamped gusset but the cracked so the later ones were unstamped. Mine is July 84 and is stamped (from memory) so that one will be late 84 or early 85.

I have a NOS Ammaco padset and have scanned it and sent it to 'the usual pad guy' so you'll be able to get new pads.

I'm a race guy and my Ammaco is my only a Freestyle bike. I love it - fab to ride and very light weight, and most importantly it isn't too valuable (Haro) to chuck about.

Great info Mart, cheers for that.

I've got a contact number for this fella, apparently, he's got 2 other bikes, but can't remember what they are.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Chain ring is most likely an Ammaco stamped one also.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 08:58 PM »

Kool  8)

That would be a great survivor that.  :)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Has the correct hinged seatpost clamp and judging by the hubs it has the correct mags also. Looks pretty much spot on buddy.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 09:30 PM »
Has the correct hinged seatpost clamp and judging by the hubs it has the correct mags also. Looks pretty much spot on buddy.

It's very different to the ones my mates had, their's had B1B copies, Suntour copy stems - not SR, wire wheels and the whitewall tyres as Jaymz has described.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Are those Shopper tyres the same as these?:
KENDA K121 20 x 1.75 WHITEWALLs (12.99 the pair) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-KENDA-K121-20-x-1-75-WHITEWALL-Bicycle-Tyres-BMX-Bike-Junior-Street-NEW-/232056574673?hash=item3607a652d1:g:FvQAAOSw7NNUAIjZ

...cuz Sawzall Phil has a 100% original Koolstyler...
(http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6939.msg77537.html#msg77537
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21724.msg221775.html#msg221775
(=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/sawzall717/media/ripper.jpg.html   for larger pic) )
...and that seems to have Kendas on ;)       He should know, he can give full spec

-- the FS Pro also had Kenda whitewalls ('round tread' according to the test see above),

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 10:17 PM »

Is that the shop between what use to be Yates pub ( i think ) and Iceland.  If so I thought that closed yonks ago

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52 PM »

Is that the shop between what use to be Yates pub ( i think ) and Iceland.  If so I thought that closed yonks ago

Yes mate, that's the one, still going. Yate's is long gone though.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 12:32 AM »
Cool find Dan...I have always liked this series of Ammaco's. Looks mostly original apart from tyres....is the frame full cromo?  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 12:54 AM »
full cromo were only some of the Freestyle range - the Pros also with cromo forks. - Koolstylers were hi-ten :smiley6600:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ammaco Koolstyler's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx