gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 09:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  A lil kids dreams
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A lil kids dreams  (Read 4116 times)

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
A lil kids dreams
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Hi, im Bob. As a kid all i ever dreamed about was one day being able to scrape together enough money to buy a bike, then later a BMX. If id had a dirty broken mag wheel i would have taken it everywhere, youd have had to prize it from my lil hands. After many years of buying/selling & saving i finally got a cheap BMX and pimped it out  :slayer:

One Sat morning out on my adventures i rode past an expensive bike shop and saw  "wantit" a chrome 84' Haro Sport in the sunshine, it was beyond amazing, the white aero wheels were from the future, but i knew i could never have one, it cost 3 times as much as our car. I went back every Sat morning for the next month, staring at it through the shop window, thinking how i would customise it to make it my own. I promised myself one day when i was much, much older i would try to get a Haro BMX. Apart from in BMX magazines i sneakily read in Woolworths and on TV that was the only Haro ive ever seen for real.

By pure chance a few months back i remembered my childhood dreams and took to the net only to realise OMG they are re-issuing the framesets!!!! This was another dream of mine to have a time machine, i could go back in time and buy a brand new BMX and bring it BACK TO THE FUTURE how cool.

The last of the chrome 84 Sports had sold in UK. Luckily there were a few left in the US and i got one shipped over for a similar price. I have since been collecting parts, mostly new/ re-issue or repop with BMX fever, this lil kids dreams might just come true!

This site is awesome! BMX candy store!  :smitten:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:19 PM by bob1984bmx »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: A lil kids dreams
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:42 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

Get some pictures up  :)

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Cheers for the welcome  :daumenhoch: Havent got any pics from bitd, couldnt afford a camera. Cant remember the name of my bike, came with yellow tires, was red and light to hold, but had TINY crappy black bars with a billion degree upsweep that hurt to hold, so swapped them for a Cw style bar with Aero oval crossection on uptubes and crossbar, then i sprayed frame chrome  :smitten: layback seat and cool pedals then i ran out of money before i could get white mags lol. So got new wheels with holes cut out the rims betweeen spokes to make them lighter. Had it 3 yrs then got stolen. No doubt it got sprayed black and ended up in a skip, hopefully they got runover by a bus on it haha!

Heres some of the parts ive got so far, just need a stem and crank. Ive always liked the evolution and customisation of BMX so if Haro had re-issued a group1 stem i would have got it. I really like the look of a 1pc looking down on it, but im struggling to find a mint one, ive asked in the wanted section. If not ill go for a chrome 3pc with polished Profile BB as long as i can keep this spider. Its getting custom blue chrome decals too!  :slayer:

Didnt like grey dia-compe cables so got Clarks white to match mags

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:03 AM »
It's great to see someone who is hopefully on the beginning of a very long and exciting journey back into Old School BMX ...
Keep the pictures coming mate ... Loving the joy and enthusiasm in your posts !!  :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:22 AM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie: a truly heart warming story, not everyone understands growing up in a family with not alot of money its great to see you reaching an ambition. best of luck with your new build. :daumenhoch:
If in doubt flat out.

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Cheers guys! I got a white stem on the way.  :slayer: Just need crank now  :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 07:31 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie: Bob .. cool thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 02:11 AM »
 :welcome to RAD mate...great to finally get your dream after all this time....Most people end up building their childhood bike, then every other bike they couldn't afford as a kid!! That should be a great looking Sport when you have finished. I do however think it would look better with Haro freestyle bars which they have just re issued...About £65 from Alan's .... :daumenhoch:

Oh, and don't give up on the crank...of all the old school bmx items a nice one piece crank is not too hard to find. Plenty of Sugino's and Takagi's pop up on here and ebay all the time
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:13 AM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes guys!  :daumenhoch:

Id love to have about ten in all different colours, like a tube of smarties, but atm i havent got the space to store them or the budget. I took money from my future Star Wars collection for this one, and it went half over budget hahaa, its worth it though. Thanks for the advice on the cranks ill keep an eye out for a good one.  :daumenhoch:

Yes i love those Haro Bars but they were a bit small, id use them with a gyro but i didnt want one, i used to have huge oval cw style ones bitd, after looking at all the bars in the world, i found these

http://themerged.com/morgan-longs-signature-frame-and-bars-from-fit-the-hood-bird/

They look identical to the ones i wanted as a kid, to me they are the essence of a bmx bar.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:28 PM by bob1984bmx »

Offline Chez-6

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Cool thread, love that you have all the part laid out look great good luck with the build  fistblump Chez 

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 12:59 AM »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Cool thread, love that you have all the part laid out look great good luck with the build  fistblump Chez

Cheers!  fistblump Those parts laid out like that remind me of a big market stall i got most of my bits from bitd, i remember being super excited after getting a cool stem only to find out it didnt fit my forks,  luckily i got a refund.. and promptly blew it on some more bits haha

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:00 PM »
A little pricey but you could try a cheeky offer....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Takagi-OPC-crank-old-school-bmx-/232085480075?hash=item36095f628b:g:uCkAAOSw65FXtMXF

How about a tenner?  ;D Thanks for the link. Are those dings on the front left and on top of the arm (in the second pic) normal on a new unused chrome crank? Pics are a lil blurry too for a £75 chrome item.

I bought a new 1pc from porkchop that looked ok on pics, to run my finger down it felt like millions of tiny razorblades, it would have drawn blood in the end, why they even bothered to chrome it idk as it looked a hazy mess, i had to bin it.

I then got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Piece-Cranks-One-Crankset-Cr-Mo-Cro-Moly-175mm-Vintage-Old-School-BMX-Chrome-/321445902331?hash=item4ad7ab37fb:g:KkMAAOSwh6xTrnCJ

i asked them if the arms were smooth with no markings and they said yes, so i got one and an obviously different 1pc turned up with huge creases down the arms, they said they were sorry but hadnt had the pictured 1pc in stock for along time, i got a full refund. As you can see there still selling the ghost 1pc's lol

Id also taken a punt on one of these older ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMX-ONE-PIECE-CRANK-170mm-FOR-1-2-PEDALS-CHROME-PLATED-NEW-OLD-STOCK-OPC-/391574690198?hash=item5b2bab9996:m:mY2ykB0uZ_5o0Iin1mz20Gw

its more like the one HARO supplied with the complete 84 Mike Dominguez tribute bikes, but its only 170mm and not cast or cromo (were any of those cromo?). And i havent seen it yet, might be a rusty nail lol, should arrive soon, i can always resell it if i can get a 175 better one.

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Just got that last crank linked above delivered today and its mint, has a really early old school charm about it, so im putting that on. Hopefully be able to build this up in a couple of weeks!

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Going for a new re-issue Haro Group 1 Stem in white   "wantit"

http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/haro-group-1-retro-1-quill-stem-in-colors-deposit.html

http://www.alansbmx.com/1649174/products/haro_group_1_vintage_stem.aspx

Expected delivery early next year, ive waited 32 years for this, i can wait a lil longer  :slayer:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  A lil kids dreams

gfxgfx
gfx gfx