gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 02, 2024, 09:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A revisionist view of 80s BMX ... What do you think?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A revisionist view of 80s BMX ... What do you think?  (Read 5683 times)

Offline retrogeezer

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: A revisionist view of 80s BMX ... What do you think?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 03:42 PM »
It's the same in the classic car world and one of the reasons I stopped going to Ford shows with my Supersport I guess. Just row upon row of mint RS Turbos, Cosworths, RS2k's etc.

It's always been about the hunt for me, most of my stuff came from the tip or a car boot sale 10  to nearly 20 years ago or from scouring the ads in bmx mags. I think I only own one bike that I have had restored and that is my Ripper and I even regret that as it had that gold anodising under the emulsion paint that was on it but I only found out after I had used wet and dry on it :(

The majority of my bikes are 'survivor' bikes, just as they were found but stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. Yes, I have some nos stuff but I never had the money to buy loads of nos parts, even when they were cheap :) 

I'd never get bored looking at bikes though, nos or otherwise, it's just I find survivors with their 'patina' and history more interesting.   :)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Great thread this  :daumenhoch:

I've enjoyed reading the comments so far and it is interesting to hear why people started in the hobby and how their view points and interests have evolved over time.

The hobby itself has changed with prices going a bit crazy, which in itself changes the direction people go. My first two restorations were Burners. One was my original bike (which I barely touched apart from getting it back up and running) and then my next one was a Mk1 Ultra which I had seen a lot of the older kids around our way out on and always liked. Magazine articles always pushed the Skyway brand and I think most of the lads I knew back in the 80's lusted after a TA, so that was what I hunted down for my third build.

On reflection I was lucky in that the very first one that came up for sale after I started looking was serial number USA 0000003, the lowest known. I bought it, and built it up as I thought fit, but being very new to the hobby at that time I guess I was guilty of building it as I had seen countless others built up. It was a lovely bike, but didn't really press any buttons for me, and to top it all off the wife used to always remind me that it looked 'tacky and American with all of those colours all over it'. Somebody spotted it on the Museum and contacted me out of the blue and offered me a lot for it; I wasn't even considering selling it, so said no, but he then almost doubled his offer. I can only assume he was a serious collector, but I was more than happy to let it go for what he was offering.

I'd never buy another one. I'd never buy a Haro or GT either though, as I think it would be too costly building one a step away from 'the norm' and as they don't really appeal I know i'd only end up selling them at a loss further down the line.

From my memories as a kid it has always been about finding a Birmingham WHEELS for me, and that is pretty obviously reflected in my collection now. I'm not a bit bothered that they don't hold the same appeal to others, and I don't really mind that there is no real guideline on how they should be built. In fact that is part of what I like.

My TA build was steered by what I perceived was the accepted norm, whereas now I prefer building my bikes as I remember them and i'm not too bothered what others think. I have been hunting for a Rickman Pro for several years, not because I remember them from BITD, but because I just love how they look, the Rickman Racing decals (on white or chrome) and for their  :Great_Britain: rarity. I had all of the parts for that build way before I even sourced a F&F.

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Some more really interesting perspectives and Os journeys .. Thanks lads :4_17_5:

I can't get my head around the adding petina idea either...
It's like doing "shabby chic" to a BMX ? I can't see it catching on but who knows?

As for you Rich ( Waxintaxin ) you must be unique in the fact that you in your third cycle of BMX ..love it!!... Absolute craziness ..  :4_17_5:
How does it feel to have passed on parts like DX cranks at £5 when your building your bikes today ?
.. Or do you have a lovely secret stash of NOS parts to use on them that you sourced in the earlier "good times" of plenty?
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 09:40 PM »
But I'm not talking rat bikes or survivors - I'm thinking building with a patina to look ridden.

So are you saying you are going to build and ride or build to look like it's been ridden?

Seems a bit odd to me but it's whatever floats your boat!
ReBuild or Restore it to look like its been ridden. Restore them so they look like original finish but with age / patina. Have you seen the 911's that Magnus Walker rebuilds over in LA?

The trix I'm working on at the moment wasn't really fit to keep as a survivor. But now I've completed all the frame repairs, had it repainted and stuck new decals on it and paired it with either nos or very minty parts, its looking fantastic, but just too 'polished' - so I thought what other direction could I take it in? I'm not convinced yet either but I'm considering trying it - and it ain't no 'shabby chic'!

I did a dry-run/mocked the build and I put a set of newly rechromed cranks onto that I'd saved for it - I took the arms of and swapped them with a pair where the chromes worn off and the decals alittle worn & faded. They looked better, but there wasn't anything I could do about the frame - I know SBDs a genius, but I don't think he can repaint a frame and 'age' it...and thats where I started thinking about where frames or part 'age' or 'wear' and the brake cable on the headtube popped into my mind - I've a set of NOS Comp st's to go on it and thought I'd either swap em out with a part worn pair or fit them to one of my other bikes and skid em around once or twice - who ever had a front and rear tyre with equal thread? We all had manufacturer stickers on our bikes bitd.

I've done the complete resto with nos parts and the survivor builds and am pretty bored with the resto's - they can looked too clinical, but sometimes the survivors look too f**cked. Here's two of my Prostylers. One has never ever been ridden and has loads of NOS on it - the survivor is a rider and looks it, but I think there must be something in the middle....(and I only kept it original finish as it had the coolest original sticker from the bike shop that sold it bitd).....

Its like when I was a kid and was into Airfix / Tamiya model kits - you built and painted the models, they looked great, but it was the guys who went the next step and painted on weathering to the planes and soot from the exhausts or mud marks on the rally cars who's models looked best....
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 12:04 AM »
aahh that duo is so cool.. 8)

As to the thread i think the reason TA's aren't as valued as they used to be lies smply in the fact that A) many who wanted one bitd have now finally managed to acquire one ..... and B) ...in a spec they found through their research to hold a certain kind of 'regard'.

And the rise of VDCs popularity comes down to Rombloke once commenting that a Changa looks the nuts or summit like that ;D ;)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 08:15 AM »
I can kind of see where you are coming from Mr McQueen .. I think many of our show ponies look in far better condition than even a NOS out of the box bike .. I agree they are almost too nice sometimes ( ie too shiny, the paints too glossy, blingy )

I guess we can't all attend the rides but if you look at my favourite rider these days ( my orange streetbeat ) it's got the look you want .. Worn tyres, brake pads, rub on the skyways, grubby grips and lots of missing paint chips ....

That's all come from 5 years of going on brilliant rad rides!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:26 PM by factory pilot »

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I personally prefer the rare harder to find bikes.

A Skyway just doesn't do it for me, there's hundreds of the things out there and they're making even more, same as Rippers. Ten a penny.

I raced back in the day, first off on a DB Senior Pro then a GT Pro and finally a GJS. The third of these I know I'll never own sadly.
I'm not overly keen on the survivor look either, much prefer to restore them back to their former glory. Saying that I do own one survivor which I ride around on. I'll never refinish it though. It'll stay as a survivor.

I got in to this hobby 10 or so years ago when I found all my old trophies and pictures in the loft.
I vowed then to hunt down the bikes I wanted as a kid and to hunt down my race bikes. ( not actual )

I'm lucky to have found every single one (two of one ) apart from the GJS.

I also got in to this game when prices are well low compared to today. Aero Reflex frame sets were £17 delivered. DC Mx 1000s were £25 a set. DC Mx 901s were £18 a set.

Anyhow......

Give me rare over common muck any day of the week.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Oddballs for me. I like to research and hunt down frame sets that were big at the time, but also very small in numbers. Serial numbers do nothing for me at all, so I couldn't care really what is stamped on it. I look for the small technical details that set frame sets apart from others. I also look for nice condition original finishes and decals.

I have 2 Direct Link frame sets. Only 180 made, 100 white and 80 chrome. I am lucky enough to own two chrome ones, with the original forks too.

I have an Astron Pro, again only 200 made, maybe less, and were manufactured for Astron by Champion. Superb frameset with such great detail.

Profile Prostyler, only 250 made in one year alone. Absolutely gorgeous frameset.

I also have a TA. I know many seek the XL, but the standard pro size is perfect for most riders, it's how you build them that makes the difference. I put mine together as a complete survivor using completely survivor parts. The one thing I really do not like about a lot of TA builds, everyone has to throw on a mass mix of red and blue parts  :uglystupid2: Then there is the ones that are built using all red or blue tyres from last weeks shopping list. Fooking hideous  :crazy2:

I know it sounds crazy, but for me, if the frame or parts have not come from the 80's, then I can't have it or them. They are the things that bring back the memories, not re-issue parts.

BANNED

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13 PM »
I'm living this thread .. You could make it into a book .. Great viewpoints, stories .. Not to mention some lovely bikes and framesets  :4_17_5: "wantit"

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 06:05 AM »
I also have a TA. I know many seek the XL, but the standard pro size is perfect for most riders, it's how you build them that makes the difference. I put mine together as a complete survivor using completely survivor parts. The one thing I really do not like about a lot of TA builds, everyone has to throw on a mass mix of red and blue parts  :uglystupid2: Then there is the ones that are built using all red or blue tyres from last weeks shopping list. Fooking hideous  :crazy2:

I know it sounds crazy, but for me, if the frame or parts have not come from the 80's, then I can't have it or them. They are the things that bring back the memories, not re-issue parts.

Seeing this, you gotta love a TA!! I think its the only frameset I'd seek out to own in chrome over painted.

Also, its good to hear someone laying it on the line wrt what they don't like.  fistblump
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 08:42 AM »
Here's how my thinking has changed ..

I've always loved TAs .. I always wanted one Bitd BUT...
It's strange because back then I really wanted a white one because of Craig Campbell and Billy Stupple .... Whereas now I'd love a chrome one and a white one just wouldn't do ... As mentioned above the chrome frameset is a real thing of beauty.

The irony for me too is that if on getting back into the scene I'd been offered a TA XL I'd have walked away saying 'oh I really just want a classic TA'  :idiot2:.... Whereas now of course...  :LolLolLolLol: you know that I would be salivating more at the rarer XL !

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 08:56 PM »
I look at it like this.

If i didn't want it BITD I don't want it now.  There are a few more I would like in my collection but not come across yet at a the right money or at the right time. 
I have seen a lot of people come in to the hobby now buy everything and then sell it all again and vanish off the scene.
I love the rides and they are bigger now than ever.  The parts are drying up a bit.  But I enjoy the chase for parts.

Offline Big_6

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 03:16 AM »
BMX magazine was my rag.
We fixed our own bikes.
Racing BMX in Oakland,  NJ was the weekend activity in the summer.
Middletown, NY state had the closest big time track. A third place finish came, in one Vans sneaker.  Trophies came regularly on the track.
Redline and Diamond back bikes were my rides.
A 30 mile round trip BMX bike, ride took me to my friends.
It was no feat to
"bunny-hop," a standing trash can.
At the BMX camp in PA, I brought to the fellow riders a table-top demonstration on the whoops in the final turn.
Wheelies were my thing. A 200 foot wheelie was my personal best.
Riding a wheelie and crossing up the bars was in the mix. In the balance of riding a wheelie, going no  handed came with the territory.
We rode hard, fast and crashed harder.
We kicked ass!
Those were the times.
At the age of 13,  at Devonshire Downs, I was in the presence of Pro racer, Bobby Woods.
This was one of my happiest moments.
Thanks for stirring up the memories!

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2016, 08:50 AM »
I've got to say FB has altered the landscape immensely ... It overloads the senses with constant pictures of Haros, Rippers, TAs etc etc
Total over exposure which I guess leads people to hunt for something a bit rarer which seems a bit more cultured or imaginative I suppose?

griff

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 02:22 PM »
I've got to say FB has altered the landscape immensely ... It overloads the senses with constant pictures of Haros, Rippers, TAs etc etc
Total over exposure which I guess leads people to hunt for something a bit rarer which seems a bit more cultured or imaginative I suppose?

First time I've ever heard someone cite FB as a reason builds have become more 'cultured'
It's certainly helped increase the number of clown bikes out there (I hear clowning is very on-trend this season though)  :whistle:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 07:31 PM »
I'm mostly talking about people on here ... I think generally the forum users are pretty cultured BMX wise .. Very few if any clown bikes on here Griffster fistblump

griff

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 11:27 PM »
I'm mostly talking about people on here ... I think generally the forum users are pretty cultured BMX wise .. Very few if any clown bikes on here Griffster fistblump

I wasn't talking about here mate  :teef:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  A revisionist view of 80s BMX ... What do you think?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx