gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread  (Read 19202 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 03:48 PM »
Great thread  :4_17_5:

Looking good so far  :daumenhoch: keep updating  :4_17_5:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Looking good Peter  8) :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

griff

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Love it, great thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I picked up the wheels this morning and just had to share!
Ukai Speedlines, stainless Araya spokes and Shimano DX hubs: simple and utterly gorgeous  :smitten:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Of all the parts I have collected for this build I think these are the best.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

In2bmx

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Great thread ..  And this is going to look mint  fistblump fistblump

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 06:03 PM »
The headset has been fitted, a Tange MX2, and here is a piccy of the nos SR MS 422 stem and nos Tange LP 440 lock nut. Nothing flash just blue lovliness:

The fork end plugs are pretty bashed about so I have replaced them with a pair of plastic end plugs for the princely sum of £1.70. I did consider getting them refinished but I think they would always look bashed, I will have course, keep them safe.

So, it is coming along nicely:

I spoke too soon. I have come across a problem that I had not anticipated. I had a nos SR bottom bracket aasembly in mind for this bike and merrily went to fit it today and, piddle, the axle is too short. I must confess I did not know there were different standards for American casings. The axle I have is a SR MX-2 dated feb 1984. It is 150mm total length. When I install it the main nut screws up, then on goes the washer leaving no threads at all. I sure many of you know about differing standards so I would be very grateful to be enlightened. Without knowing what is what I can not really look for a replacement. One positive is that I did not pay for the assembly. I must admit to being a bit gutted. Hoping someone can help. The bottom bracket shell is 68mm, which I thought they all were. When I mock up the axle assembly there is only 64mm between the main nut faces therefore nowhere near enough for the shell. Anyway heres a picture of said assembly:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:53 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Damn axle is doing my head in  Thumbs down. Here is a picture of the offending item and the lack of thread.

Unless anyone has some ideas or can point out that I am being a numpty I will strip out the Diamond Back bottom bracket and use that for now. I probably wont get to this before the weekend but there is no rush.

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Hard to tell from pics but it looks like the bearing nut is pretruding a little ? are the beaings in the right way? Do the races fit nicely over the BB nuts?

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Bearings fit fine in the cups and the nuts. The nuts are pretty much flush with the cups. I can not see anything wrong other than too much axle on the fixed side and not enough on the adjuster side. Not to worry, surgery is booked for the diamond back failing finding a replacement.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 12:22 PM »
I am going to be sad when this bike is finished as I look forward to the weekend when I can spend some quality time with the beauty. There is plenty of over-time at work at the moment so perhaps I should be looking for the next project....
....a Shimano frame would be ideal....maybe Kuwahara.... :whistle:

I have a healthy lead on an axle that will actually fit, pending agreeing a price all will be good. Turns out that the SR axle is indeed too short which still baffles me as it is standard fitment to some. Never mind, it would be dull if there were not little problems to overcome every now and again. Also, in the search for answers and/or parts, you get to chat BMX to people be it through email.

In the absence of the axle, the cranks and chainwheel were to be up next, attention must lie elsewhere. Replacement decals arrived this morning, one of the downtube decals which I arsed up royally and fork decals. I told a little white lie last time saying I had saved the fork decal. In fact it distorted slightly, barely noticeable until you know and then it looks like complete crap :-[ This has actually been a boon as it was suggested to me that perhaps they could be custom made to really match the frame decals. Delcals made the suggestion and chose the format, I am rapidly building a bromance with delcals....

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2016, 02:02 PM »
I have two sets of bars which could work. A set of chrome Win bars and a set of anodised blue bars of unknown make. The aluminium bars are very well made and resemble the win bars very closely. The Win bars are slightly wider and the knurling is a different pattern. I was looking for a set of blue bars for a little while, even posted on here about them. Just as I made that post it was like buses on ebay with three pairs listed back-to-back. I did place a pretty healthy bid on a set of Race Inc. bars, which was a little hasty as I really wanted all Japanese components. However the blue mist came down and the itchy finger placed a bet :idiot2: Luckily I did not win and subsequently scored the blue bars in an off-ebay sale. They are not nos, clearly they have been fitted before but I suspect not in anger, probably ex-show or something like that.

I am going with the blue anodised bars, they are a lovely match to the head lock and calipers :) If anyone has any ideas about the origin of the bars please chime in. The seller, who I believe is active on here, did not know.

The brakes were surprisingly easy to source and perfect for the build as many Hot Hearts were equipped thus. Shimano DX levers, Shimano MX cables and cable tidies and Shimano Tourney calipers: lovely. Again nothing flash but correct and beautiful condition, everything clearly nos and all except the calipers bnib :D

A nice foil decal came with the cables. It is too big for a frame tube, although it could work on the seat post tube although I think it would be a bit crowded there. I was thinking what I would have done with such a sticker back in the day. I did not have a race plate so that is out, no tool box either, not even a BMX scrap book. Incidently, do kids still keep scrapbooks? Probably replaced by some Facebook app. no doubt. I definitely would have slapped it on somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:06 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Thank you for the tip. I had seen the Aussie parts but feel it would be such a shame to go the repop route when I have tried so hard to be era correct and tight on specification. When I first started back into BMX I bought repop parts, MX1000's and seatpost clamps, and regreted it. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with repop (my GT still sports a Profile Lockjaw) it is just that the deeper you get into the scene the more those parts start to glare at you. My Raleigh Aero Pro has repop MX1000's and they do not look like the real thing, they just don't once you 'know'. I have a set of correct MX900's waiting for it; when I find the cash to get them anodised black they will replace the repop, they are currently raw.

I used to be heavily into a very specific model/specification motorcycle scene. Repop parts were called 'pattern' parts. They were approximations of the originals and in no way did they enhance a build. I was a purist then, but I had access to one of the best back stock of parts imaginable and a plethora of contacts around the world. I do not have those resources available for the BMX bikes but then again the number and complexity of parts is nothing like it either.

I am confident that my current lead will pan out, the Tioga axle would be just fine. Failing that I am following a another complete nos assembly on evilbay at the moment. Problem with that it in the states so lots of postage and the risk of import duties. However, there is no rush.

Thanks again and keep watching.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:42 PM by Avro »

rodriguez

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Thank you for the tip. I had seen the Aussie parts but feel it would be such a shame to go the repop route when I have tried so hard to be era correct and tight on specification. When I first started back into BMX I bought repop parts, MX1000's and seatpost clamps, and regreted it. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with repop (my GT still sports a Profile Lockjaw) it is just that the deeper you get into the scene the more those parts start to glare at you. My Raleigh Aero Pro has repop MX1000's and they do not look like the real thing, they just don't once you 'know'. I have a set of correct MX900's waiting for it; when I find the cash to get them anodised black they will replace the repop, they are currently raw.

I used to be heavily into a very specific model/specification motorcycle scene. Repop parts were called 'pattern' parts. They were approximations of the originals and in no way did they enhance a build. I was a purist then, but I had access to one of the best back stock of parts imaginable and a plethora of contacts around the world. I do not have those resources available for the BMX bikes but then again the number and complexity of parts is nothing like it either.

I am confident that my current lead will pan out, the Tioga axle would be just fine. Failing that I am following a another complete nos assembly on evilbay at the moment. Problem with that it in the states so lots of postage and the risk of import duties. However, there is no rush.

Thanks again and keep watching.

No probs  :daumenhoch:

Paul Allerton aka Snav on here has an og SR one for sale for £40.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Thanks again for the input, all is welcome.
I have searched for Snav posts and nothing after August?
Is this a Facebook sale (I have had a few prompts that tell me that that is where it is at now)? If as you say it is an SR axle then I have an SR MX-2 and it is too short (demonstrated by my friend with the Tioga axle).

rodriguez

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Is this a Facebook sale (I have had a few prompts that tell me that that is where it is at now)? If as you say it is an SR axle then I have an SR MX-2 and it is too short (demonstrated by my friend with the Tioga axle).

For a decent build thread like this one  ;) and help and advice you can rely on and a Bike of the Month Comp this is where it's at.

FB is where a lot of stuff is traded and good for ride out info.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2016, 10:12 PM »

Send him a pm... he was online a coupla days ago.

The Hot Heart's looking good mate.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Brakes all fitted and looking very nice indeed. It is all coming together nicely. The calipers are both November 1982 but the levers are March 1984 and September 1983. I will allow the slightly out of date!

The cable tidies are very cute :coolsmiley:

The brake blocks are also stamped Shimano.

I may revisit the grips, I am not entirely happy with the O.G.K.s although they fit the build nicely.
One area I would appreciate some input is tyres. I have looked at a lot of bikes with a similar theme and can not decide what route to go down. Bikes with blue tyres look good but I am not sure if it is a little over doing it. Bikes with black skinwalls look purposeful, more dynamic I think. The reissue Tioga comp III look very nice, although I have not seen them in the flesh. I am thinking thin/thin. However I do have a pair of Mitsoboshi Comp III in blue but both fat; they are also very hard and somewhat degraded although I am sure they would dress up nicely but doubt very much if they would be rideable. Thoughts and personal preferences appreciated "help"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 12:21 PM »
For the saddle I have gone for a little luxury and I have gone for new. Perhaps I will look for a nos blue saddle but they really seem sought after. Ideally I would want an Elina Lightning bolt, it would be the ultimate for this build, but can not justify the expense and I simply do not have that kind of money Skint This lovely padded, suede topped Kashimax Aero will have to do and it is hardly slumming it!

I have two nice seatposts. A nos Renthal laidback and a nos SR Laprade. Obviously this build will have the SR which is really lovely. Also the blue SR is a near perfect colour match for the bars, lock nut and calipers which is a bonus. I do however prefer laidbacks but the Renthal would not go with the theme.

You may have noticed that the blue SR stem top is much darker than the other blue components, I think it is a painted finish, but do not fear it still works as you will see in a future installment. I have really tried to think the aesthetics of the build through, if it does not work I will cry :crybaby:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:33 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I have just realised I have not given a credit to the chromer, who I think has done a cracking job. In fact the chrome is so thick I am having a bit of a problem fitting the seatpost clamp.
The platers I went with were Chromefix in Birmingham. :4_17_5:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I have had to very hastily fit my O.G.K. Mach grips before I do something very silly on ebay. Damn it! Blue Tange grips but I just can not afford them. I must resist, I must resist....resistance is futile....nooooooooooooooooooooo....resist resist resist.....O.G.K. O.G.K O.G.K for the win!

Some good news. A very nice nos Tioga CV170 spindle is on its way to Tange H.Q. as we speak. That means the build is coming to an end :( Still I am lining up another project. It has to be something modest as funds are rather short. I do have a lugged Tange frame here but I can not summon the enthusiasm for that for some reason. It has lovely lines, meh one day. I am quite interested to strip the paint off that and see how good the lug work is. Another time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:22 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Some more parts to show you. SR 170mm cranks, 44T chainwheel, bolts and end caps. All nos except for the end caps which are alright although if some minty ones came up at ok money I would snaffle them up.

I know these cranks are pretty common and not top end but I do like their simplicity. I have a set on my Diamond Back as well. Maxy Cross seem to go for double the price of these. I do like Maxy Cross a lot, I have a minty red set on a Raleigh Aero Pro, but you have to cut your cloth as it were. They suit this build to a tee so I am happy. Before I got this chainwheel I had not seen another like it with the machined line relief, I like it a lot. Also, this is my plan for colour matching which I think is going to work. There are essentially two blues going on, the light anodised (seat post, calipers, lock nut, handlebars)and the dark painted/anodised (stem top, cranks, chainwheel and pedals). The decals marry the two, the flash and constant soft lighting make the decals look a totally different blue in reality. Hopefully I will get some natural light shots in the future. I had considered a set of Cobra grips as that blue is often dark but I do not really like them to be honest. Perhaps I should dye the Machs darker?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:52 PM by Avro »

rodriguez

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 08:05 PM »
It's unlikely the grips will dye, I know a fair few have tried to no avail afaik.

As for the different shades of blue it's no biggie as the shades of annodised alloy and plastics always have been different, it'll still look the part when complete.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41 PM »
The missing link arrived this morning in the form of a Tioga conversion axle courtesy of SiGhTeK, rad member who replied to my wanted ad. Thank you again, hope I can return the favour one day  :)

I have seen this axle more commonly advertised as a Tange CV170, indeed it is stamped with the Tange trademark. I am not entirely up on the seemingly interwined business of Tange, Tioga, SR, Suntour etc. I know many were under an umbrella business at one time (courtesy of research by Monkian that I stumbled upon the other day :bow:). I am interested in this and must make more effort to find out.

Cranks installed and looking better than I had ever hoped, I am thrilled. I think that once the wheels go on it will pop big time.

I am also looking forward to my home returning to some normality. Putting a bit of effort into the photography has come at a cost. My living room looks like an amateur porn studio, or how I imagine an amateur porn studio to look be it a bit grubbier and probably a bit smelly. Also you may not see bicycle wheels as props. Regardless of that I have enjoyed the photography, I hope it has added to the thread.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:49 PM by Avro »

griff

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25 PM »
still loving this thread Peter - it's great to see the progress & I look forward to seeing it all together

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx