gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 10:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread  (Read 19297 times)

rodriguez

Re: Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 02:46 PM »
As it's coming together the blues are matching up just fine   :coolsmiley:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 03:19 AM »
Looking good, you need a bit of variation in the colour tones as that's exactly what it was like bitd even for factory completes  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Some fun parts arrived in the post this morning, four sets of frame pads: Yellow, blue, white and chrome!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I seem to like to buy my bikes 'outfits'. My GT has four (red, black, chrome and blue), the Diamond Back two (yellow and red), however my Raleigh Aero Pro remains in the buff! I'm I the only one who likes to buy their bikes the latest season?

The pads are nicely made but they are only made with stickers. They look great from a few feet away (except the blue set which does not really work and the sticker on the crosssbar pad is on the p*$£) but up close the stickers are self evident. I know I will never be happy with them but they are fun for now.

The yellow pads really pop on the bike, at least I think so. I am thrilled about this because the only badged up Hot Heart I have seen with Shimano pads sported yellow ones so that is a result. The Hot Heart in question is none other than Bobby Encinas pictured in a Shimano Catalogue sporting all things DX and a wicked two speed set up  "wantit"

I have been chatting today with Esemdesign and he is going to make a proper set in yellow for me. It is the first set of Shimano BMX Racing Components pads he has done which is nice  :slayer:
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Thought I would share the current state of affairs. Tyres are fitted, sprocket on back wheel, wheels fitted and chain installed. The tyres are the reissue Tioga Comp. IIIs, I can not and will not spend silly money on nos oe tyres. Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, but blimey the asking prices! The sprocket is Sturmley Archer, great as there are so many sizes available. I have gone for a 15 for no reason in particular. Chain is Izumi. I managed to resist the blue Tange grips that were recently on ebay but it was touch and go at one point.

I could not resist fitting the yellow pads to see how they look. I have had to cellotape the stem pad up as it is miles too big. An Esemdesign pad set has been ordered and, as the stem is essentially the same as that fitted to Burners, the fit should be better. All is coming together nicely now. There are few other fun bits to go on the bike, and of course the proper pad set, but sadly the build is coming to an end. I am looking into a few possible projects for the future, waiting on a few replies and the like. The next one will have to use as many parts bin parts as possible, luckily I have a few key components for a nice Japanese build already. I race ahead, hopefully the Hot Heart will be finished at the latest by the New Year :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:48 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 11:49 AM »
OMG there are now nos proper Tange grips on ebay today. I feel ill.

In2bmx

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 11:58 AM »
Nice bike and a great thread  :4_17_5:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Keep going mate .. Great thread .. Love those shimano pads .. fistblump
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Excellent build thread.  The bike looks great  :daumenhoch:
Neil

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 02:22 PM »
This thread ist awesome and a super interesting read, too!  :daumenhoch:     ....Maybe someday you could replace the sprocket with a Shimano Dx combo  :D  that would be excellent

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2016, 02:15 PM »
It has all been a bit quiet on the Hot Heart front lately what with oddles of over-time and other stuff. However I have had a bit of fun with the bike today. In the spirit of all things blue I picked up these a while ago:

I know they are not the bees knees but I like them a lot. Not 'made in Japan' but close enough! The numbers are yet another Delcals creation. The plate I think is by 'Cycle Craft', not the splatter paint guys but a cheerful accessories manufacturer back in the day. The brake guard is a humble 'Accord BMX' item which I could not resist.

I think they look great but I would. Just the pad set to go now and it will be on to the next project.

I am planning to scout for a suitable outdoor location for the final photographs this afternoon. Wish me luck.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:31 PM by Avro »

monkian

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 01:40 PM »
Damn, I don't know how I missed this :/ Lovely build and awesome thread Peter ;)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Thanks for that Paul. Just waiting on the pad set now for the final photographs. I am so please how the bike has turned out. By the way, you have the frame number in your database and it is the earliest T2 there at the moment.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 11:01 PM »
Another pad set.   :LolLolLolLol:

Looks great Peter.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

rodriguez

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 11:06 PM »
Turned out great   :coolsmiley:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Further to post regarding blobby welds on Hot Hearts.
A reminder of mine:
I was initially concerned about it but no longer.

I came across this today:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-school-bmx-Tange-Hot-Hart-/262798332336?hash=item3d300051b0:g:uPgAAOSwnHZYcjTZ
Check out the downtube welding at the bottom bracket., and this is said to be nos. By the way I am by no means criticising the frame set, just intrigued by the variation in welding standards.
I am becoming an anorak!

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Great build mate..
Loving the details..
Quick question..
Have you the link for the chrome fork end caps.
Got tange set of tx 1200 forks just refurbished but missing the caps..
Cheers fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2017, 08:43 PM »
Just bought 4 cheap as chips...
Cheers mate.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline CDBMX

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Have just read through the whole thread & I am VERY impressed. Love the chrome & blue. The SR seatpost is the right choice too.  I really like bikes with a themed punchout in the gusset. The Aussie Super Roo with the Roo profile in the gusset is another of these. My own bikes just have a boooooring round hole.

Your 1979 hubs I found interesting. The very early versions of this type were model HF-500 & the digital version of the ad that I have does not mention any colours.
By 1979 there were two versions of these hubsets, the FH-MX40 which was painted in Gold, Red or Blue, plus of course the natural silver of the alloy. Some of the front hubs in this version bears the appearance of being made in three pieces but not all they have the same profile as the others.

Then there is the FH-MX60 which was in a different grade of alloy & was anodised in the same three colours plus the natural alloy silver. The original front axles for this series of hubs were the 5/16" size, & forks came with spacer adapters to allow fitment in forks made for 3/8 axles. I suspect that your hubs are the better FH-MX60's & the 3/8" axle conversion is a good upgrade.

Here's some more info
http://oldschool-bmx-parts.blogspot.com.au/1978/08/shimano-mx-freehub-hubs.html

Speaking of forks, I was a little surprised that you went with the entry level TX1200 which was listed by Tange as a street rider fork. Not recomended for competition which means that they are a mild steel fork.
I would have thought that you might have used the TX500W which is listed as their Street/ Race fork. They were available as early as the latter part of 1979.

Anyway, I hope I can do as good a job with the pictures & description of my own 1978 build when the time comes as you have set the bar high.
I'll be building Quickies till the day I die, ..... & maybe a couple of days after that.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 02:02 AM »
Thanks for that and the super info.
The bike is now finished and I am just waiting for a sunny day to photograph it and bring this thread to a conclusion.
The forks are og to the frame so no reason to change, anyway a Hot Heart is not really top end. It is however extremely cute.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 02:25 PM »
Looking good  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Hot Heart with the Blues: Build Thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx