gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)  (Read 25100 times)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 04:28 PM »
 :popcorn:
 :popcorn:
 fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 04:12 AM »
No Dachshunds here, just a new school race rig getting its first track outing:-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:51 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Updated)
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 02:44 AM »
It seems like a long time ago now but since the Crupi was built up back in March, 6 months ago, the only thing that’s been done to it is general maintenance. Nothing’s broken or needed replacing, despite my riding exploits, which is testament to the quality and choice of parts, and to Dan’s bike-building skills! :bow:

However, despite the old adage “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, I couldn't help but take advantage of the free shipping opportunity provided by a recent trip to North America! I'd originally planned to just pick up a few odds and sods but that turned out to include a set of wheels! I’m going to post the updates to the bike as they are fitted, build-thread style, but here’s a teaser pic to get this thread rolling again! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46 PM »
My first purchase and upgrade are some nearly-new, DMR V12 pedals. These are bloody lovely – magnesium bodies, sealed bearings and cro-mo axles. They are also super light, at least in comparison to the Victors (VP-566) I was running with. Tbh, the VPs were fine and I never slipped a pedal on them but the V12s are definitely a step-up in terms of quality. They also ride bloody well too, despite having less pins than the VPs (10 compared to 14) and although I've only tried them on a short 10-minute spin around my neighbourhood roads, my Vans felt locked in like never before, so hopefully that feeling is replicated on the track. Check out the comparison pics below plus one of the pedals on the bike:-

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Very nice. Gotta love a nice set of flats like that.

Have to wonder if it could also be the pin location and shape of them in terms of being planted so well.
For example I have 2 sets of blackspires, exact same model but one is older with slightly different pin shapes (same locations) and the newer finer pins just feel so much grippier compared to the older more rounded pins.

Loving the fact you're keeping it real with flats.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure the design and placement of the pins is important. The V12s certainly get some rave reviews and from what I've experienced so far, DMR are definitely doing something right. As for clipping in, I've read about the advantages, which I can understand, but for me, the idea of being clipped in scares me and at my level (40-something, occasional Sunday racer with limited ability and a dicky shoulder!), that doesn't sound like much fun! So whilst I've embraced new school bike tech, it's definitely old school Vans and flats for me! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 11:54 PM »
I used the V12s in anger for the first time on Sunday and they worked fine (with the Vans), so with no issues to report I'm a happy chappy! :D

The new wheels are going to have to wait a while, as the 17t cog they came with means playing around with chainrings and chains, so I may leave that to the off season and concentrate on riding instead. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2017, 11:45 AM »
With the race season now on its winter break, I can finally concentrate on upgrading the Crupi. Hopefully the wheels will be changed over during the next fortnight but in the meantime, I've just fitted Santa's seat. Or rather, the Tioga D-Spyder saddle that I found whilst rummaging through the bargain box in my lbs. I love the Velo-made, Crupi seat that I've been running with thus far but the leather's starting to wear and I don't want it to rip. Finding the Tioga was therefore perfect timing, helped by the 75% discount! The Spyder's also a little bit lighter, smaller and, dare I say it, more race-looking than the Crupi. I may still use the padded seat on longer rides but as per the online reviews, the Tioga's much more comfortable than it looks, so I may keep it on permanently. The change of seat colour has also changed the look of the bike as a whole, hopefully for the better but you can check out the pics below! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:56 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build & Upgrades)
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Had a little play with the wheels yesterday. Or at least the front wheel as the rear wheel has a 17t cog, so is going to require a bit more spannerwork - hopefully on the cards for today. In the meantime, here's a couple of teaser pics! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 07:55 AM »
So I’ve finally got round to changing the wheels on the Crupi. Tbh, the unbranded alloy rims and freewheel hub have been fine thus far, holding up well to my newbie efforts, crashes included, but as we all know, it doesn’t take long to want an upgrade! In my case, this was mainly being driven (excuse the pun) by the desire to have something with better engagement than the 16t freewheel. My first thought was a White Industries freewheel but these aren’t particularly cheap, so that led me to thinking about spending a little bit more and picking up a secondhand wheelset with a cassette hub, thereby doing away with a freewheel altogether! Before I knew it I was looking at used wheelsets with rims and hubs from a whole host of manufacturers including Sun Ringle, Box, Bombshell, Crupi, Answer, Alienation, GT, Hope, Mavic and Chris King. You name it, I looked at it, but for various reasons, didn’t pull the trigger on anything until last summer when I found a custom set of Bombshell rims on Alienation Bullitt hubs with DT Swiss spokes. Built up by a Canadian bike shop, they were sold to a guy who decided to move up to an OS20 bike, so the Bombshells remained unused until I picked them up on my trip to Canada. They have a few storage marks and the stickers are missing from the rear rim but otherwise they’re sweet! :D

The seller had swapped out the 16t cog for a 17t version, which wasn’t a big problem as I’d wanted to experiment with gearing anyway. I found a used 47t Rennen chainring on the Museum and decided to give that a whirl since a 47:17 ratio is only slightly higher than the 44:16 I’d been running with. The larger-sized ring and cog also necessitated a longer chain and moving the rear wheel back a centimetre or so. Initial impressions are good, the gearing not feeling noticeably tougher to crank than before, though a bad back has prevents me from giving it a proper workout either on the road or track. Nor is the cassette unduly loud. Instead it has a very understated click, with a nice purr to it, which I love! :smitten:

In fact the biggest impact is not performance-related but an aesthetic one. Obviously the bike now has a red theme to add to the white and gold of the original. There were already a few smidgens of red on the bike and the wheels have helped to bring those out, aided by a red Promax seat post clamp that I also picked up on my travels. There’s no doubting that the bike is now much more bling than the previous, more somber-looking setup. The only downside was losing the Renthal chainring, which I think is cool as fook, but that can go back on at a later date if need be. For the time being, however, I’ve no plans to add or change anything else and instead need to focus on trying to sort out my back for the season’s first race on 28th Jan! Here are a few pics of the bike as it now stands:-
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:58 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57 AM »
A bad back and bad weather has delayed the start of my season, so that means more time to look at stuff for sale! >:D

The result is this Speedline Elite brake caliper, the birdcage design of which I love. I think Vos had one on his sweet-looking Supercross Nomorea. Now I just have to decide whether to go for a matching red lever or a gold one to tie in the stem! :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:10 AM by Mikku »

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Upgrades)
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 10:57 AM »
 :) Looking good:) I hated my Speedline brakes TBH-springs are too flimsy and not much adjustability .Is that your Crupi with the new brake on-just wondered why it has Dkoi stamped on it?
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 12:49 AM »
I’m not going fast enough to warrant decent brakes, so hopefully the spring issue won’t be a problem! :daumenhoch:

The Dkoi is the bike they were on (these are the for sale pics) but it’s a nice-looking frame, eh. Hopefully the caliper will be arriving here with a few other goodies next week! :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:17 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Finally got the Speedline caliper fitted and dialled! :smitten:

Unfortunately I couldn't get the grip lock off (those bloody hex bolts are as soft as shite and I didn't want to ruin the lock by drilling the fooker), so the Promax lever that I'd also bought will have to wait until I replace the grips. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Going back to your wheels; I had a similar problem when looking for wheels for a cyclocross bike. Through axles had not taken hold back then. I wanted discs, I wanted full hydraulic and I wanted those shimano discs with an aluminium core..so trick!
In the end I went for IronCross rims (disc specific), shimano aluminum core discs and shimano calipers with Chris King hubs. I doi not know if the same is true today but back then Chris King hubs were the danglies...except it was like calling in a killer swarm of bees when on freewheel.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 11:04 PM »
I think they still are the danglies!! There’s a bit more competition now, certainly from what I’ve seen in the racing scene, with Profiles seemingly the number one choice for many, but I still covet a set of CKs and nearly bought a bike with a CK rear hub just the other week! :D

That said, I love my Alienations! I’ve not seen anyone else with them over here plus they sound great. Not as loud as a CK swarm of bees mind you, though they purr a little louder now I’ve put a few miles on them! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Have upgraded a few bits and bobs on the ol' Crupi! First up are some new forks, in the shape of the Answer Daggers. Am hoping that the weight-saving carbon up front will make the bike a bit easier for me to manhandle around the track. :daumenhoch:

Also finally got round to removing the Turner grips, replacing them with some Odi Vans and while I was at it, swapped out the Sinz lever for a Promax one. Along with the Lizard Skins number plate, that should do me for the new season, though I'm toying with the idea of a shorter stem. We'll see. :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Carbon forks have got to make you faster!! Looking good Mick  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2019, 07:11 AM »
At the very least they should make me LOOK faster!! Or rather, look like I’ve got more money than skill!! ;D

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Lovely looking steed that fella!  :4_17_5:  Looks quick standing still lol  :daumenhoch:

PS...Get some Rad bmx decals on it as your unofficial sponsor

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Good idea! Where do I get these?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 12:35 AM »
Am back out on track tomorrow! Looking forward to giving the Daggers their racing debut, and to seeing if the lighter front end makes a noticeable difference to how the bike rides and feels. Forks review (and race report) to follow next week! :daumenhoch:

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 10:25 AM »
Looking forward to the update  :)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 08:38 AM »
The full report's in my blog thread but in short, the new forks felt great on track, making the bike much more chuckable! Definitely a step in the right direction. So the next step in the ongoing evolution/fine-tuning process is a shorter stem. I love the 53mm Promax stem I'm running with at the mo' but have convinced myself that, in combination with the Crupi's roomy 21.5tt, it's on the long side for me. I've therefore been looking at alternatives and initially started with the logical step of a smaller Promax, namely a 48mm version. However, I wonder how much of a difference 5mm would make? That got me thinking about going smaller and since there's a far greater choice of 31.8mm mtb stems (to fit my oversize Box Maximus bars) and some of them look similar to frontload bmx stems, I've been looking at those. Below is a shortlist of three I like the look of, all of which get good reviews online though increase with price:-

1. Truvativ Hussefelt 40mm with 0 degree lift (£35-40 shipped to Japan);
2. Race Face Respond 45mm with a 10 degree lift (about £50 shipped);
3. Thomson Elite X4 40mm with 0 degree lift (about £80 shipped).

As I'm shooting in the dark a bit with this, my instinct is to get the Hussefelt then I'm not too much out of pocket if it doesn't pan out. But then the Race Face has a bit of lift and we all know that Thomson stuff is quality!! No decisions made yet, but am looking to try one in the next few weeks. Maybe! ::)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:03 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 11:06 PM »
Just to confirm how indecisive I am, I'm now also looking at this:-

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Ongoing Updates & Upgrades)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx