gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
967871 Posts in 137603 Topics by 5854 Members - Latest Member: Curtis-mini-bmx December 15, 2019, 12:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Upgrades)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Upgrades)  (Read 6032 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Upgrades)
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 01:52 AM »
So I finally pulled the trigger on a new stem and went for the Funnduro mtb stem!! With a 45mm reach and zero degree rise, it certainly changes the look and feel of the bike. It's also a lot smaller and lighter than the Promax Impact, weighing in at 110g with Ti bolts! Riding around my local rice fields the front end feels a lot livelier than before, so I'm keen to see how that translates on the track. Stem comparison and bike pics below! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:57 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old guy on the Crupi!! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 10:58 AM »
After a few races with the new stem, I'm much happier with the way the bike feels and am glad I made the change. :daumenhoch:

With the Crupi now dialled-in, for the moment at least, the latest “upgrade” is purely for aesthetic value, as I don’t think it offers much in the way of performance or protection! Saw a Knucklebone crossbar pad for sale in a pad lot and the seller agreed to sell me it separately. I reckon it balances out the red grips just perfectly. :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Gotta love a padset on the race bike.
Something you don't get to see anymore. (although, I do run them for fun).

I remember you asking about making it easier. Inadvertantly I stumbled on another way and then had a mate confirm it.
Higher Bottom Bracket height. I have 2 bikes set up near on identical, except one is the OS and the other is the 22 (which weighs about 1kg more).
Exact same Geo, except the 22 has a higher BB as it was set up to also run as an OS. So would match that BB with those wheels on it.

The mate was saying, when S&M went from the 38 special to the speedwagon, the BB height changed by going lower and to compensate for manuals they shortened the rear end on the speedwagon.
Just some info for you.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25 PM »
That makes sense. A higher centre of gravity would make it easier to lift and keep up the front end with your weight over the back. The Crupi has a BB height of 11.63" which I think is a little higher than more modern frames.

I know you like your pads! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike Ideas for a Newbie! (Race Rig Build + Upgrades)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx