gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 07:07 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!  (Read 37873 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Sadly, rain stopped play today, which is a bloody shame for 2 reasons. Firstly, this afternoon’s official practice session at Midoriyama was my last chance to get in some track time before next Sunday’s race debut. Secondly, I was due to join a “skill-up clinic” this morning, where I would have got some tips and pointers from a Japanese coach. There are some other clinics during the year, so I will make sure that I go to one of those, though this one was perfectly timed!! :'(

Also, I’ve discovered another track, albeit further afield and probably necessitating a hire car rather than my newly acquired BMX Cocoon to reach it! It also looks much more like the tracks I’ve seen abroad, with bigger jumps and non-dirt berms, so I think I’ll be leaving that one on the backburner for a while, or at least until I’ve got a few races at Midoriyama and Kawaguchi under my belt, the first of which should be this time next week!!! Weather (and rider confidence) permitting, of course! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Thats a shame about the weather, although can completely understand about not riding to stop damage to the track etc.
Had a muddy weekend actually, as for our bigger events they go ahead no matter the weather.
Couldn't tell which bikes were which. So luckily the correct ones came home haha.

I'd say the bigger track with the bigger jumps could actually be easier than you think.
as strange as it sounds, if it is quite a rolly track and isn't "lippy" or "peaky" it should actually be good for riding on as it shouldn't throw you around.
Do look forward to seeing your progress on that though.

Been back to Kawaguchi yet for another ride?

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
So I carried out Plan B on Sunday and visited another track:-

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,190197.0.html

However, my mid-week misdemeanor at Midoriyama caught up with me because as soon as I arrived, I was called over and spoken to by the club officials, who had been contacted by the Midoriyama security staff.

How on earth did they know it was you?
Are there now photofit images of you at every track as a man to look out for?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
I bloodywell hope not! :2gunsfiring_v1: Nah, I have to admit the fault was all mine, as during my chat with the security guard we got talking about bikes and when he told that he had a Brompton folding bike, I let slip that I was British. :idiot2: There being no other BMXing Brits in the area (apart from Clint's brother that is!), the club staff put 2 and 2 together and ended up with me, which I confirmed when they asked me if I'd been there, as I didn't want to dig a bigger hole for myself by lying. :angel:

Yeah it was a pity about last Sunday, and it's raining again now, so I'm not sure what's going to happen this weekend either! I haven't had time to go back to Kawaguchi, so haven't been out since then, which is not ideal but such is life!

Below is a pic of that other track I mentioned. There's a pump track to practise on too, so I'm definitely going to check it out over the next couple of months. First off, though, I need to lose my cherry at Midoriyama!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:20 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
The weather forecast's ok for tomorrow, so I've picked up the hire car, planned my route, given the bike the once over and got all my gear together. :daumenhoch:

Must admit that I'm sh*tting bricks, but it's time to stop talking and start racing! See you on the other side! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
So after 4 months of thinking (lots), talking (lots), asking questions (lots), posting stuff on here (lots), spending money (a fair bit) and practising (a little bit), I’ve finally had my first BMX race in over 30 years. In no particular order, it was an adrenaline-filled day of nerves, excitement, exhaustion, disappointment and satisfaction!! Pics below.

Results-wise, there were 7 guys in my class (over 30s novice) and I finished 7th, 7th and 6th in the three motos. Not the most impressive of stats but on the plus side, at least I didn’t fall and/or injure anything other than my pride! Things I learnt include:-

1. I’m unfit. I knew this already but it was really brought home to me on Sunday. The other riders weren’t that much faster than me but I was definitely running out of steam more quickly, to the extent that I was almost coasting by the end;
2. How important the start is. I was so focussed on not messing up my 2-pedal starts (which, thankfully, were ok), that I wasn’t thinking about the lights or when the gate might drop. As a result I was last out of the gate each time and couldn’t catch up with the pack, apart from the 3rd moto when there was a tangle in the first berm.

Things I therefore need to work on before the next race (next month) include my fitness and starts. I can only practise gates on the official practice days, so will make sure that I go to them, including the next one this coming weekend. In the meantime, I’m going to ramp up my training regime starting with some uphill sprint training!

Racing aside, the day was really productive in that I spoke to a few more people and made some more contacts, which was great. That included finding out about two more practising/riding options, in the form of a small-ish dirt track that has a couple of rhythm sections and a larger, UCI-sanctioned track further afield, both of which I aim to check out over the coming weeks. So despite my less-than-impressive results, I enjoyed my first day of racing and am looking forward to improving and generally getting faster, so that I can start mixing it more with the other over 40s, if not over 30s! In any case, I will continue to share my exploits here. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:28 PM by Mikku »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
 :4_17_5:  well done    first one out the way  :daumenhoch:   don't worrie about where you finnish for the first few meetings getting over the nerves and gaining experiance is the important bit, not falling is a bounus  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Thanks man! :daumenhoch:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
This is as good as any build thread. Great story and progress!!  fistblump
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
This is as good as any build thread. Great story and progress!!  fistblump

Thanks mate! I'm trying, and will hopefully be trying some more at a practice session on Sunday!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
old School Newbie (in Japan)!
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 12:59 PM »
I'm Really enjoying this thread thought about having a go myself so I went along to look at a track in  Manchester changed my mind straight away to scary the speed some of the kids where flying round  I've already had one heart attack didn't fancy another so hats off to you

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Looks like its going well  :daumenhoch:

Do as many starts as you can, I used to do as many as I could in one session, pretty much only rode the full track a couple of time each time I went.

Get the start and 1st straight down and you have a much better chance.  :daumenhoch:

Everyone is different on starts, some listen and some look, I always used to go on the 2nd beep, worked for me.  :)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Thanks gents! :daumenhoch:

I'm Really enjoying this thread thought about having a go myself so I went along to look at a track in  Manchester changed my mind straight away to scary the speed some of the kids where flying round  I've already had one heart attack didn't fancy another so hats off to you

Yeah, some of the tracks I've seen on tv/online look way too gnarly for my liking! I've been lucky in that the jumps at Midoriyama aren't too big and the track still has an old school feel about it, apart from those bloody rhythm sections! :2gunsfiring_v1:

Looks like its going well  :daumenhoch:

Do as many starts as you can, I used to do as many as I could in one session, pretty much only rode the full track a couple of time each time I went.

Get the start and 1st straight down and you have a much better chance.  :daumenhoch:

Everyone is different on starts, some listen and some look, I always used to go on the 2nd beep, worked for me.  :)

One of the guys I raced with at the weekend said he goes on the first beep, so I think I'll get myself up on the hill and watch/listen to the sequence before trying, as the last thing I want to do is go over the bars!

I really like that advice about practising the start and 1st straight though!! The other guys weren't that much faster than me, so if I can stay with them by the first berm hopefully I can get in amongst them a bit more. I'm still a bit apprehensive about taking the first jump/roller at full speed, so need to get that sorted as I lose a bit of momentum there too.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Rooski is spot on , i know i followed him round the track a few times :LolLolLolLol:

one thing,  and you may not be aware your doing it,  is not pedaling, again sounds silly but it something almost every one does when starting to race ,   usually on the aproach and exit of the jumps ,  you tend to freewheel on the approach ,getting set up ready to get over the jump,   over the length of the track this can be quite a distance where you're not actually going forwards , or rather gaining any ground , the theory being if you not pedaling your slowing down ,it can feel a little odd aproaching a jump and still pedaling at it, getting  someone to film you can help with this ,       again it's  something to put into practice as your confidence and skill builds
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:29 AM by oldtired »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
And one of the best things when it comes to improving is to work on 1 thing at a time rather than multiple at once.

Like gate starts. Don't try to change everything in 1 hit.
Get the basics right. So wrists up, cranks level with the chainstay (or up a couple of clicks like 2 or 3), back straight, legs slightly bent and butt back a bit. It is pretty much the combo we teach to the beginner riders
Then when it comes to modifying the technique, then only change 1 or max 2 parts of it and only in a minor way. Big changes can really throw out your ability in a non conscious way (ie so you aren't thinking about it).

Sounds like you had a blast though. It does get addictive though and white line fever does take over  :whistle:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Thanks so much for the tips and advice guys - I really do appreciate it and am trying to take it all in and put it into practice. :daumenhoch:

Sunday's practice session at Midoriyama was rained off, so with a sunny day today and more rain forecast for tomorrow, I sought out an alternative, namely Umikaze Park down on the coast. More info and pics here:-

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=190313.msg1912976#msg1912976

I'm not a big dirt jumper, but the Umikaze track had some rhythm sections which I spent a good hour or so practicing. I'm slowly getting more comfortable and hopefully a little faster over them, even without manualling, though that's still a long-term goal! :D

My plan is to get some sort of track practice once a week, so next week I'll try to head back to Kawaguchi, before the next official practice session at Midoriyama on 14th May.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:42 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Time for a bit of an update. Last Monday’s planned trip to Kawaguchi was also rained off but Midoriyama slotted in an extra practice session today, which I went to and really enjoyed! Not too many people were there, so I got plenty of track time, including start gate practice. I took onboard the advice above and concentrated on practising starts and the first straight, and slowly saw an improvement in both. On the gate, I’m going somewhen between the 1st and 2nd beeps, and am trying to be more “explosive” than I have been to date. I also made a conscious effort to pedal more (and freewheel less) before and after jumps, which I now realise I was doing! ::)

I also got the chance to meet and talk to a few more people, some new, some not, but overall, I’m definitely feeling more part of the scene now. There’s another practice session scheduled there for next Sunday, so am hoping to continue then where I left off today. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Another weekend, another Sunday practice session at Midoriyama! :daumenhoch:

Again, not many people were there, I’m guessing due to the damp track, it having rained throughout the day before. However, by the time I arrived after lunch, the track was drying out and apart from a few slippy patches on the berms, it was perfectly rideable and I was able to practise the main sections as much as I wanted. However, the main reason for me to go was to get more start gate practice before next weekend’s race, and I managed a good twenty plus starts over the two afternoon gate sessions. I definitely feel that I’m getting better, both in terms of my timing and the speed I’m hitting (and carrying through) the first triple roller.

However, one thing that’s happened a few times is wheelieing out of the gate. When it happens I lose a bit of acceleration not to mention concentration trying to get the front wheel down, so any suggestions as to why I might be doing this and what I can do to stop it, would be gratefully received. :daumenhoch:

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Alrighty. Hopefully we can explain without too much excessing wording. If you have any issues with it let me know and I will try to reword the following.

Lifting the front wheel isn't always bad. If you have the right technique it is actually a natural part as it means you are producing a lot of torque with your legs. Just look at the elite level riders, they snap back and the force forwards lifts the wheel without them trying, without lieing that does happen at lower levels so don't be afraid if it does happen naturally.

I have a feeling that your gates could be you pulling up or leaning back from the start which causes the front wheel to lift. Which you want to save for the manuals youll be doing soon enough  :daumenhoch:

Onto the basics of the skill though.
Pedals should be level or about 2 clicks up (think 10 degree or so)
Wrist should be forward like you are on a moto ready to rip the accelerator.
Arms straight (they shouldn't be used during the start technique, something to keep in mind)
Legs slightly bent and your Butt back a bit
Back Straight and not curved.

As silly as it sounds, this is a pretty good silhouette for how it looks.

Then comes the gate drop or snap.
There are lots of advanced ways and minor changes in technique you can do but the most basic one is to explain as follows.
You don't pull up with your arms but instead for lack of better words, try to get your old fella towards the gooseneck (avoid contact though haha). Basically you are extending out and using the whole of our body as if it was a wound up spring.
You want to push the front pedal all the way down and follow through.
If you do it right then the front wheel will come up but with the weight forward it will naturally come down.
The following pic will hopefully show you what I mean.

Hopefully that makes a bit of sense.
Best way to go about it though is if you can get some video footage and review it. See if what you are doing is right or have someone else there to do so.
For example I am currently working with a mates kid on this, and am almost ready to go to video footage to help explain and show him what he is missing or could change.
Any questions though ask away. or ill try find some video or pictures to help you out.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
That's flippin' brilliant mate!! I've been reading some stuff and watching videos online, and between all of that and what you've said, I think I'm pulling up on the bars too much and not thrusting forwards enough, so I'll focus on that the next time I'm on the gate, which'll be during the pre-race practice/warm up this coming Sunday! :D

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated as always!! :daumenhoch:

Offline x600se

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
^ this is good advice from Drawn Mick. Ill add my take on it.

Going by that silhouette image above with the rider in the start position. I  always go for a 'locked out' posture where your body can only do one thing to get the most explosive start. Ill come to that one thing in a minute but going back to that posture its pasically chest up, bum out, straight back, arms straight, wrists rolled forward, most of the weight on front foot pressing the wheel into the gate, and finally legs slightly bent. Sounds like a lot but every practise gets u closer to a natural feeling of this stance.

Now youve got this locked out position Ill go back to the 'one thing'. Throw the head and shoulders forward at the first beep. This will do a couple of things. First it will force u into that explosive first pedal stroke. As all your weight goes forward and u naturally straigthen out all of he power will transfer downwards into the first pedal stroke. A by product of thrpwing ur head and shoulders forward is that the front wheel comes back off the gate (as Drawn said above when the Elites snap back) by a couple of inches and by then time the power is loaded up and you boost forward the gate is already down.

If ur doing this correct it is the torque u are generating that is lifting the front wheel, this then needs controlling by adjusting weight further forwards as u practise. In all honesty, I think its quite hard to lift the front wheel in this way if ur not clipped in yet. The wrong way to do it is if your throwing your weight backwards and trying to slingshot out the gate that way, this will also pick up the front wheel escpecially if u pull up as well, but in the wrong way. Thats why I think of it as a locked out position where your body cant go backwards but only forwards.

Keep it up Mick  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:43 AM by x600se »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Thanks Dan! That all makes sense, the question is can I a) remember it; and b) put it into practice when I'm wobbling away up on the gate on Sunday! ;D That said, I can practise that position on my makeshift start gate (aka the rubbish bin cage outside my front door) beforehand!! :D

Tbh, I probably won't be able to make much progress at this Sunday's race, but will definitely work on everything in the more relaxed setting of a practice session, the next one of which is early June, I think. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:05 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
So armed with all the advice and fired up with enthusiasm, I did some gate practice this morning on my "rubbish bin" gate! Although I couldn't practise the snap, I could practise my positioning. With the above pictures in mind, I immediately realized one thing I was doing wrong. I've been focussed so much on balancing/2-pedal starts that my weight has been too far forward/over the bars. You can see this in the photo below that was taken a couple of months ago.

I therefore practised getting my backside both further back and lower over the bike. That actually felt less twitchy and more comfortable than before, as well as (hopefully) giving me more leverage to thrust forwards for the snap. All sounds simple now, but seeing those images really helped! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:34 PM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Spot on and good pick up from your own evidence.
Over time you will eventually figure out what works for you as everyone will have a slightly different style for the start.

Also wanted to add, you'll soon know when you get it really good.
Have probably in the past month had about 2 of these that have felt right on.
The joys of having a slow reaction haha.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:14 AM by Drawn »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Popped outside the front door for a quick 10 minutes of gate practice this morning and can't believe how much easier it is to balance with my backside further/lower back over the bike! I knew I should've paid more attention in my school physics lessons as that center of gravity theory really does work!! :daumenhoch:

It was also bloody hot this morning - 26 degrees C according to my iPhone, so with temperatures in the high twenties forecast for Sunday, I think I'm going to fry!! Another good reason for me not to hang about up on the start gate!! 8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx