gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975502 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 03:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!  (Read 37375 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
The “Final Race” of the season and my 8th of the year finally saw some closer action on my part! The fine weather helped to swell the numbers and my class had a full gate. I also had a few supporters with me, so was keen to put on a good show. In the first moto I got away quite well but had to back off over the first jump to avoid a rider drifting my way. I therefore entered the first berm in 6th place but chose to dab the brakes and hold the inside line rather than keep the power down and take a higher line. This proved to be a mistake, as I lost momentum and was overtaken by first one, then both of the riders behind me. Lesson learnt, I vowed not to make the same mistake again. That chance didn’t come in the 2nd moto as I got a slow start and was therefore playing catch up all the way round. The 3rd moto, however, saw some of my best racing of the year. I entered the first berm in 7th and this time took the line that I should have taken in the first moto. The result was that I kept my momentum, held my position and also started to gain on the 6th placed rider. In the next straight one of the riders in front of me had a wobble on a jump, so I slipped by into 6th, with 5th in my sights. Entering the final berm I had a sniff of 5th place but as you can see in the 3rd picture below, I was squeezed high and had to settle for 6th. I wasn’t too disappointed though, as I was just happy to be mixing it at the end of the race for a change!! I didn’t think I would make the main but one of the riders dropped out and I found myself lining up on the gate. Sadly, there were to be no more heroics on my part as my legs gave up the ghost and I came in 7th. Despite that, however, I really enjoyed the day and after everything that’s happened, it was a great way to end the year. Since my friends were there, I also have a few pics of me for a change! :daumenhoch: 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:49 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
 :daumenhoch: top stuff,

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Merry Christmas from me and the Colonel! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Obviously I had no idea what would happen back in January when I started this blog but it’s certainly been an up and down ride! 8 races, 2 tracks, a dislocated and fractured shoulder, a bronze medal, new friendships, plenty of Japanese language practice and a whole lot of fun! I’d be the first to admit that I’m not as fast as I thought I would be. I always thought of myself as pretty handy on a bike but this year has proved how much effort, practice and training is required to be on the pace. Not to mention skill! I could definitely do with a bit more of everything but on the plus side, I’ve learned a lot and am slowly getting better and faster. & hospital visits aside, I’ve loved every minute of it! :D

Thanks to all of you who have read, commented on or followed the blog over the year, with a special thanks to those who have given me the benefit of their experience and helped me along the way with advice and suggestions, both on here and via PM. :daumenhoch:

Finally, a big shout-out to Dan. Not only did he sort me out with the Crupi but he’s been spot on with all the advice he’s subsequently given me about the bike, gear and racing. Thanks mate – really appreciate it!! :bow:

So that was my 2017 Race Blog. See you in 2018! :slayer:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2017 Race Blog - The Trials & Tribulations of a New School Newbie (in Japan)!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx