gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Dressed for the part?!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dressed for the part?!?  (Read 18821 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Dressed for the part?!?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I can also vouch for these pads, having fallen on them twice today! The first time was more of a slide, but the second was a bigger impact and although I've lost some skin from my left elbow, I'm sure it would have been a lot worse without wearing them. Likewise the 661 pads, G-Form compression top plus the No Fear helmet, all of which saw some action. Definitely well worth the investment and a reminder to always wear protective gear on track!!! :daumenhoch:

PS Forgot to say that I also picked these 661 shin pads up cheaply off fleabay! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:26 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Following my off in July, I've been thinking about a change of protective gear with a view to giving me a bit more shoulder protection if (or more likely, when) I fall again. At the moment I wear the G-Form top with the Leatt chest protector on top of that. Both of those are pictured below. The G-Form top uses soft pads which harden up on impact and I really like both the idea and the fit. The Leatt is obviously harder and gives good protection to the chest and back, though mine lacks any shoulder protection. I've also been finding that it doesn't really fit my body shape that well. With that in mind, I've been thinking about replacing it with something that fits better and has a bit of hard, shoulder protection. Something like the Answer one below. I would then continue to wear that over the G-Form to give me double-protection, as it were.

Any thoughts?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53 PM »
I raced n jumped in a 661,pressure suit, had some big offs and the suit bares all the scars and I survived many a maiming.

Really comfy any non restrictive too. Proper protection  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about one of those originally. Wonder how Ady's getting on with his? Ady, if you're reading this, give us an update on developments since your last post!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Have a couple of additions to my race wardrobe. The first is a pair of 100% Ridefit gloves, that I plan to use for practice sessions to give my race gloves a rest. The second is an old, I think 90s, Free Agent race jersey that I'm also going to wear during practice sessions. I may also give it a race outing 'cos it's so damn cool! :coolsmiley: 

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44 PM »
if you read them gloves as your supposed to it reads like Yoda wrote it  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 01:36 AM »
That's funny! & in keeping with the earlier comments on the previous page! :daumenhoch: 

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I like that Jersey a lot!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Mikku your practically bullet proof now!  ;) :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I bloody well wish that were the case, as we don't bounce as well as we used to! Or at least I don't! ::)

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I bloody well wish that were the case, as we don't bounce as well as we used to! Or at least I don't! ::)

Blame the tracks, its all hard packed now, designed to not bounce  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Received a new race jersey in the post the other week! Thanks mate! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:59 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36 AM »
Footwear update - just picked up my another pair of secondhand Vans - yes, I'm a cheapskate I know! Have been wearing the black and white checkered ones because I liked the ankle protection but they're a bit bulky and heavy (they're the mountain edition ones) and I occasionally catch my brake caliper as I pedal - not good! The "new" ones are a lot lighter and easier to put on/take off! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Vans update! I picked up my 3rd or is it 4th pair of 2ndhand Vans last month. These ones have a white rather than the normal gum sole which made me think that they might be fakes as they're also noticeably lighter. Real or not, you can't beat a pair of checkered Vans, so I'll keep on using them until I'm tempted by something else! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Received a bag of goodies in the post today. The first literally was a bag in the form of a helmet bag from Silverstone's Britcar 24-hour race series. Have been looking for a proper, padded helmet bag to replace the thin, drawstring one that my helmet came with but there don't seem to be many BMX-specific helmet bags about. Recently spotted this one on ebay and think it'll do just fine! :daumenhoch:

Another ebay find was this Burnham BMX club jersey. Whilst I have no allegiance to Burnham or Somerset, it does has the Union Jack on it (always good to keep the flag flying over here :Great_Britain: ) and the list of sponsors includes Crupi, Answer and Maxxis, all of which I also run. Plus it was cheap! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 09:10 AM »
The shirt (and helmet) in "action" the other weekend! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 10:52 AM »
As seen in the photo above, the Burnham race jersey doesn't really go with my race pants! I love that top, so have been looking for another set of pants to wear with them. The result is the black and camo Faith Eclipse pants that I've just picked up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. They're in bloody good nick and fit well despite being more of a slimmer fit than my existing pants. The only potential problem is that they're a pretty tight fit over the chunky 661 knee pads, so I'm going to have to see how they feel when riding the bike, which I can't do at the moment because of a dodgy knee and equally dodgy weather! Thumbs down

In other news, I recently found out that the checkered Vans I've been rocking are from the Lite range, which makes sense because they're bloody light!! Far lighter than the normal, gum-soled versions. However, the trade-off is that the white soles are not as durable as the gum soles. I only wear these for riding my race bike and the pedal pins are clearly wrecking havoc with the soles, as can be seen in the pics below. They're not worn through yet but may need to be replaced during the year. That gives me the excuse to start looking for some replacements! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:30 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2021, 10:43 AM »
A year on and I've updated some of the old race wardrobe! As mentioned in my race blog thread, I've picked up a new helmet and some new knee and elbow pads, from the Troy Lee Designs and G-Form stables respectively. When I say new, I mean new-to-me aka used, though not much if at all, certainly in the case of the helmet. I will have to wait a while to get my hands on the pads but below are some helmet shots, including some comparison shots with the No Fear MX lid its replacing. I've been racing with the No Fear for these past 4 years and it has served me well. It's still in great condition but I really fancied something a bit lighter. The quoted weight on the sticker is 1280g plus or minus 50g and my kitchen scales say 1,315g. Not too heavy but I used get a sore neck if I wore it for more than 45 minutes. Not such a big deal when racing but definitely noticeable during longer, practice sessions. Being a small size, with a 55cm label, it's also a little on the snug side as I'm between 56cm and 57cm. When I measure myself I'm nearer 56 but when my other half does it, I'm 57, so let's say 56.5cm, which equates to a medium in most brands. The No Fear has few vents which, when coupled with the tight fit means a very silent, not to mention sweaty ride, especially on the hot and humid, Japanese summer days. So that led me to look for a replacement and I finally settled on a TLD Stage, one of the new breed of lightweight, DH-rated mtb/enduro full face helmets. The Stage also has a BMX-rating and comes with MIPS (Motion Impact Protection System), which I really like the idea of. You don't see many of these on the BMX tracks yet but for me and my level of riding, I reckon it's going to be fine. And at over 600g lighter than the No Fear, I can certainly notice the difference in weight just walking around the house. I ended up sourcing this one locally, which meant that I could try it on. The Stage comes with different sized cheek and neck pads (and headliner), so I swapped out the pads in the shop to make sure that it fitted. A store-wide 20% sale helped seal the deal! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2021, 10:53 AM »
Below are some more helmet shots with my assortment of race jerseys, including a GT one that I picked up before Christmas! When you add in my black and yellow training jersey and the O?Neal Mayhem that I've never worn (it says large on the label but fits like an XXL!), I've got one for every day of the week!! :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:54 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2021, 11:04 AM »
As for the G-Form pads, my 661 pads are still fine albeit well-worn but like the helmet, I want something a bit lighter. I already have some G-Form kit, so wanted to try some of their pads, which would also allow me to wear the Faith race pants that are tighter around the knee than my normal Evolution pants. I spotted some medium-sized knee pads on eBay and the seller also had some matching elbow pads. They all looked to be in good condition and with a discount for combined shipping, I pulled the trigger on both sets. I won't get my hands on them until the Spring but am happy to wait until then. :daumenhoch:

Finally, I snagged some more pants on eBay. I'd never heard of the brand and they're from Lithuania, so maybe it's something from that neck of the woods. However, they were cheap and the sizing sounded about right, so I took a gamble and clicked on the Buy it Now button! Thankfully they fit well, though they're a bit "bright", so I'm going to have to see which shirt they match with the best!! Or rather, which shirt they clash with the least! ;D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 09:48 PM »
Got the chance to test the G-Form pads recently and the knee pads are fine. A little tight after a while but that's not a problem as they'll give a bit with use. The elbow pads are too big, however, and slip down over my forearm when I'm riding, so I'll move them on and keep the perfectly-fitting TLD ones instead. :daumenhoch:

In the meantime, I've added some more additions to the wardrobe! O'Neal Mayhem gloves (mainly for the design) and some more Vans! ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:50 PM by Mikku »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Dressed for the part?!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx