gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 18, 2024, 10:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which driver?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Which driver?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Scootie

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Which driver?
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Ive got a gt fly 2010, got it 2nd hand in 2012 it came all original apart from the rear wheel.
My issue is riding to an from work past few days there was the dreaded metal on metal grind sound track. On inspection an break down of rear hub the first set of bearings an the spacer spindle had found um self free an eaten the bearings the bearing spacer/dust washer and has craved its self 2 new sets of bearing runners into the spacer spindle.

Can i just pick up a new driver an install, if so which is going to b compat with this hub thats not a orignal gt fly spec an has no branding on it to point me to which driver is correct.

Any help gettin this bike bac into the air very much appeciated.

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Which driver?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:22 PM »
 :) Looks like an Odyssey driver may fit but can`t be 100% sure.GT have used some non-standard size drivers in recent years & finding a replacement could be impossible.Driver scan be costly ,bearings are cheap as chips so note the stamped number on it an try e-bay for a new`un.This is the cheapest I`ve seen Oddy ones if you want to chance it. https://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/47649/Odyssey_Hazard_V3_Cassette_Driver
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Scootie

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:06 PM »
Thinking it may be wiser to grab a complete rear wheel or set as the front 10ml axle bearings are shot, an as a teenager in the 90s i had a front bearings an the bearing holding case cease up as i was steaming along with traffic on the a6 road,  superman with out a cape or bike attached was the result. An saying that brings me to wen i had a drive train cease up dead, again over the bars i went. Laugh bout it now but 6am in morning just out a night shift an face planting the road i wasnt laughing but proceded to fling the bike around in anger.

How the mechanics have changed since i left 13 yr go, wen i pulled that driver out first time it looked a stright foward replace job but soon  found diffrent after googling. Thought i was i  heaven not havi g to de screw a freewheel off, worst task i found as a kid with out all the specailist tools.

So after memory road, has any one got any ideas wat set or rear wheel at a lowish to mid range price wud suit a 30 yr old that just does 8 mile a day but still pulls sum skills from bac in my rebel yrs to spive my bori g ride into work up, got b double wall an 14ml 4 sure

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Try CRC for an inexpensive rear wheel.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wheels?f=2263
Hopefully they`ll have something that suits you.
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Which driver?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx