gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 08:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Late last year I posted a wanted thread for a Shimano or Kuwahara project, I received a reply from Monkian, Tange/Tioga guru on here, with an unusual frame (due to some odd glitches in messaging it turned out that I was also offered a Kuwahara by another member but I was unaware at the time. This is why I find myself buried under projects!).

I was offered a S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya. It was in need of some love; a dent to the steering head tube and numerous knocks from a straight edge to the same area. However it was interesting. Here is a summary of Monkian's research:

1982 S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf

S&G Cycles - Muddy Wolf. Made by Araya.

This was a skip find a few years back that was sold on but sat in a shed until I got hold of it. It was originally listed for sale as an Ishibashi and it seems to have all the trademarks of the Ishibashi frame: Oval top-tube, Tear-drop down-tube, Full Cr-Mo, Giant style drop-outs, nice tight welds etc. Serial stamp is on the BB: 224177.

The Muddy Wolf was released in the UK under S&G Cycles (who had a close association with Muddy Fox). Araya provided this frame alongside early Muddy Fox Mountain Bikes to the UK based company. Even though this frame was provided by Araya, it's possible that Araya bought in the frames rather than fabricating themselves although this is pure speculation. I understand Ishibashi built their own bikes so they may have built these for Araya. Some have said that the identical Ishibashi frame was Tange made or was made using Tange tube-sets but again, I feel that this is speculative. Personally I wonder if Araya (as part of the JBM Group at the time) would have had (or needed) the production set up for frame making as companies in that region often operated like a collective and the Araya factory was heavily focused on Rim production.
The JBM group consisted of Araya, KKT, Sakae Ringyo (SR), Shimano, Takagi, and Tange. The group broke up in 1984.

Here is a link to the frame as purchased:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=331756

The cosmetic damage to the frame was such that I decided to have it dechromed and go to paint later. To repair the dent and knocks and then rechrome was out of the question. I have a Laserlite that I would like to get rechromed in the future so it was a case of priorities and available funds. I also have a colour scheme in mind, it will mean a lot of work but, I hope, worth it.

Here's the frame after the dechrome:

Super tight welds.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:49 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I am having trouble getting pictures into the thread.
The pictures are the correct size (1065x800 and around 230kb each), I am doing exactly what I have done before but an error message comes up

'Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.'
Please consult your server administrator for more information.'

The error message comes up instantly.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:19 AM by Avro »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I am having trouble getting pictures into the thread.
The pictures are the correct size (1065x800 and around 230kb each), I am doing exactly what I have done before but an error message comes up

'Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.'
Please consult your server administrator for more information.'

The error message comes up instantly.
Any ideas?

You need a photobucket or similar image hosting account. Copy and paste the IMG code here  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

griff

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Our web guru has been trying to get the attachment module on the forum improved - currently it appears to be down though for everyone

Alternative right now would be to use an image hosting site like photobucket or Imgur - sorry for the hassle and hopefully we'll be in better shape soon with an improved service ;)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Looking forward to this!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

monkian

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52 PM »
So pleased that this frame finally found a good home. I can't wait to see what you do with it Peter ;)

Tapatalk is useful for adding photos direct from your phone, if that helps.

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Ok, got to grips with Photobucket so we are away.
As you can see the frame is extremely well made, super tight welds and lovely tube shapes.

A little skim of filler to the small dent to the steering head tube...

..and into primer.

One thing that puzzles me is the threaded hole in each rear dropout. It is the bottom small hole, M5 is the size. Any ideas what it is for?

That is as far as I have got. A start at least. I really like this frame.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 04:12 AM »
The threaded holes could be for a whale tail chain tensioner, an after market addition.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

monkian

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Marty is bang on the money there. The Hattori ProSight (made with Tange tubes and the same drop-outs) came fitted with a unique looking set of chain-tensioners that did the same job as Whale Tails:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:00 PM by monkian »

monkian

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:37 AM »
I guess it saved you having to drill holes in your drop-outs :/

griff

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 10:28 PM »
I guess it saved you having to drill holes in your drop-outs :/

Always thought those things were cool but never knew you had to butcher your frame to install them?!
Every day's a school day  ;)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:27 PM »
Great info there Paul! :bow:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

monkian

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I found this in an old mag somewhere. I think there may have been some variants on it. I always presumed it was for the Muddy Wolf even though it says Muddy Fox, unless S&G released another BMX but I've seen no evidence of that. Hunting similar ads (probably in UK mags) might help ;)

monkian

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 11:32 AM »
One last thing. Here's a pic of how it was originally found, still hanging on to a few of its original parts:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Thanks for that. The original advert is terrific and will definately influence the build. I can not go exactly to original specification as I will have to use what parts I have in the main. Furthermore that advert may be pre-production with some details subject to change. Having a BMX and Mountain Bike with the same name would make things a little complicated and would have be an obvious thing to have change. I will try to find out more.

Thanks for input everyone, makes this kind of thread so much more fun.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:03 PM by Avro »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58 AM »
Interestingly the advert has a different frame; the dropouts are not the same! The plot thickens!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

monkian

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Yeah you're right Marty. It looks more like a Tange made Cycle-Pro Bonzai Pro frame. I guess there could have been two S&G models or a supply change or just a mock-up for the ad. Really hard to say without one surfacing or finding more info. I'm pretty sure there are more ads out there :/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:28 PM by monkian »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 08:27 PM »
This is a little side project to the main and one I finished today.
This bike is getting Shimano DX pedals, rather fortuitous given the 'bike as found' pic. posted by Monkian.
I bought a pair of DX pedals recently, in their original box, off Ebay. They came with a complete Sugino three piece crank set up which I also needed so it was a happy time! The price label on the box reads: SUPERTUNE Tel. Studley 3778 and hand written 14.50 (price). May raise some memories?

The pedals themselves were quite nice really, bashed and scraped as they should be:

Stipped down and close ups:

I am sure most of you have seen it a hundred times. I know I don't want them in silver but in red so a mild resto. was required. A bit of filing, fine filler for the worst gouges and a rub down later things were looking better. I do not want the pedals to look new, that is not the aim at all, I want them to be red and smart. So, with that in mind on they go into a sliver base coat:

Then into translucent red, applied until the desired depth of colour was achieved:

There was not a lot I could do with the end-caps except thoroughly clean and then gently clean up the worst of the mashing. This is a good as they are going to get unless I get super clever but that won't happen!

I know they are not concours but I am pleased with the result. If I should ever refinish them I will be sure to use a more durable finish but that said I think they will do nicely for the build. There are compromises to be made I guess, I can not afford new caps so the rest needs to reflect is my thinking. Anyway, at least the project has moved on a little.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:29 PM by Avro »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:51 PM »
Pedals look great Peter... nice work.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 03:07 PM »
I am very keen to keep this build on track, the frame is so smart and deserves some good parts. I will have to compromise given funds, and the need to use mainly what parts I have, but I will put some money into this one.

The frame has been powder coated and looks very smart, now time to work on the theme. There is a build on the Old School board that I really like, a Diamond Back Pro Star. No flashy parts but a really good and thought through theme. It is not unique, just very well done. I am going to try to reach that standard if possible.

I could not resist putting on a few parts yesterday. The headset is an alloy Mirage unit from Alans. I agonised over buying it! It's fitted and looks very nice indeed; it is a very tactile part too. By that I mean that the alloy has a very pleasing 'brushed' finish. The top nut even comes with a fitted 'O' ring. Yes I wish it was from circa. 1982 but meh, it is still very nice. The ARX fork came from my 'Racergoose' which now sports pinched TX1200's. Maxy Cross cranks are in lovely condition, I actually paid quite a lot for them from C4Labs a while ago, they came with bottom bracket. The chainring is 44T SR and seat post clamp by Tange. The pedals I have already talked about.

Progress.

I am having a problem with the wheels though. I do have a pair of Araya 7x rims (they are a bit gnarly mind), in gold but I would strip and polish. I do have a pair of nos red Suzue hubs. So there is a potential ideal wheel set there.  Problem is I really want to use the rims on another build. I do have a set of Ukai skinny chrome rims laced to polished Suzue hubs, they are totally gorgeous. My worry is can I legitimately use them on a bike titled 'S&G Cycles made by Araya'? Do I worry too much? *giggles*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 03:10 PM by Avro »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Looking good man. Love red and white too :)

griff

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55 PM »
can see the dilemma Peter

might be like wearing a nike tracksuit top with adidas bottoms :teef:

only joking btw, would be simpler to just amend the thread title  :whistle:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 04:03 PM »
....I am getting the decals reproduced and they would betray me!

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Ha Ha! I forgot about my recent score from this site :idiot2:
Totally minty 7c's:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Hrcplag

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02 AM »
Looking good so far! Have you got the wheels built yet? Look forward to seeing it finished  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  S&G Cycles Muddy Wolf by Araya

gfxgfx
gfx gfx