gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 09:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What's the difference in mx brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's the difference in mx brakes  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Barney55

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
What's the difference in mx brakes
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Hi,

I might be sounding daft but what's the difference in mx 1000 and mx 900 brakes??
Which is the better brake?
Is there a difference between mx100 and  mx1000a???

Cheers

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Re: What's the difference in mx brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Mx 1000 is a larger calliper than MX900 ... I think some frames don't suit the larger calliper  :coolsmiley:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 05:34 PM »
What factory pilot said ^^

MX1000 have a longer reach than MX900 (10mm longer).

Can sometimes be issues with the brake blocks not reaching the rim properly for some frames tho.

Brian  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:54 PM »
This is a fairly common question and easily answered. On any DiaCompe caliper the number refers to the distance from the centre of the bolt to the centre of the brakeblock in the middle of the slot. You ignore the zero at the end and that is the dim in mm.

So an MX900 is 90mm and an MX1000 is 100mm. The MX means moto-cross and was developed especially for BMX with a stronger cross-section than previous calipers. The later DC FS880 caliper was specifically for freestyle frames wit potts-mods and has a lower top mout for the aduster to alow it to spin under the fram down-tube and yes, you've guessed it, it was 88mm center to center.

Similarly a DC 890 is 89mm, a DC1020 is 100mm and the 1080 caliper is 108mm. Going smaller to mini frames a 610 is hence 61mm.

Any caliper stamped 1000a on the back is not DiaCompe - it is a way of copying but not infringing the copyright.

Hope that helps :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:05 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Barney55

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Thanks alot that explains everything :)

Just one more, which is better for mags and which for spokes? Or is it just personal preference

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Freestyle 880's. Note the upside down/reverse pinch bolt location on the one in the foreground, in order to use a potts mod on the front brake

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Thanks alot that explains everything :)

Just one more, which is better for mags and which for spokes? Or is it just personal preference

Personal preference in my case.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:52 PM »
For looking at, it doesnt matter, go with what suits the bike/era/your vision, for riding with any kind of exuberance, dont bother with any of them, they're all wank  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Major need for a stickie; perhaps with a very comprehensive answer.
It is an obvious question without an obvious answer.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline brimfull

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Great answer Spen, really comprehensive. Can you explain why 901s are so fook ugly though?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Aha. Now I believe that the DC designers and marketing team were on a ton of coke when those design disasters were born......  :shocked:

Gotta admit I get a bit of sick in my mouth everytime I look at them myself too :2funny:

Great answer Spen, really comprehensive. Can you explain why 901s are so fook ugly though?  :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

Offline brimfull

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25 PM »
Aha. Now I believe that the DC designers and marketing team were on a ton of coke when those design disasters were born......  :shocked:
Gotta admit I get a bit of sick in my mouth everytime I look at them myself too :2funny
Phew, I thought it was just me. I remember running a back one on my Prolite and having to run it under the frame so I didn't stand on the stupid long brake arm when doing framestands  >:(can just make it out on this pic  fistblump

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38 PM »
This is a fairly common question and easily answered. On any DiaCompe caliper the number refers to the distance from the centre of the bolt to the centre of the brakeblock in the middle of the slot. You ignore the zero at the end and that is the dim in mm.

So an MX900 is 90mm and an MX1000 is 100mm. The MX means moto-cross and was developed especially for BMX with a stronger cross-section than previous calipers. The later DC FS880 caliper was specifically for freestyle frames wit potts-mods and has a lower top mout for the aduster to alow it to spin under the fram down-tube and yes, you've guessed it, it was 88mm center to center.

Similarly a DC 890 is 89mm, a DC1020 is 100mm and the 1080 caliper is 108mm. Going smaller to mini frames a 610 is hence 61mm.

Any caliper stamped 1000a on the back is not DiaCompe - it is a way of copying but not infringing the copyright.

Hope that helps :coolsmiley:

:bow: many thanks Spen!

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Still think an illustrated stickie would be good and a fun thing but meh, that's me I guess.
May be I can try to make such a stickie, perhaps I will work on it. After all I am new to the site and perhaps less gaded and assuming. I could be a fun project I think.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Found this stickie recently  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55863.0.html

Maybe we get this one going again? We could upload pictures of those mentioned calipers there and add the info.   

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:34 PM »
I don't think that one is a great one to bring up nor a good one to build on.
Give it time for a considered response :angrysoapbox:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What's the difference in mx brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx